[NTB] Ordered lists

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
      Hi Lou,

      I did not see any replies to this, so I'm sending it over to the
      "NoteTab & HTML" <ntb-HTML@yahoogroups.com> group. You'll most
      likely get some replies to your message on that list, so I
      suggest that you sign up for it right away. You might want to
      search for your Subject on it after signing up in case there were
      replies to it before you got signed up. You do that at the
      NoteTab & HTML list at yahoogroups.com (Ordered lists) - see the
      bottom of this message to get there or check out:

      Fookes Software Discussion Mailing Lists
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      I do not seem to be getting the ordered list correct.

      This what I get when I choose 7 items in the list
      ><ol>
      > <li>sam</li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > <li></li>
      > </ol>

      I get this when I have 4 items in the list, select them, the click on
      the ordered list button.

      > <li>lou</li>
      > <li>bob</li>
      > <li>steve</li>
      > <li>walker</li>
      ></ol>

      What am I not doing correctly?

      Version 4.95/np (full version)

      Warm Regards,
      Lou
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
      Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
        Well, it looks like NT did give you an <ol> of 7 items:

        > <ol>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > </ol>

        You need to move your data that is outside the list:

        ><ol>
        > <li>sam</li>
        > <li>jim</li>

        To within the correctly structured list like this:

        > <ol>
        > <li>sam</li>
        > <li>jim</li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > <li></li>
        > </ol>

        Your second example is missing the opening tag. It should be:

        <ol>
        > <li>lou</li>
        > <li>bob</li>
        > <li>steve</li>
        > <li>walker</li>
        ></ol>

        It seems NT does not number items that have broken lines correctly and
        since I often have ol of longer entries, I usually just hand-code the
        list or create the list outside the entries and fill in the blanks.
        But it has NEVER failed to provide correctly formed html. Hope that
        helps.

        sisterscape

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
          I debated answering this yesterday but was not sure I understood. I
          also wondered if his clip was somehow corrupted.

          To us the OL clip to create a empty list you usually double click it
          with nothing highlighted and tell it how many items when it asks ... it
          should create the proper tags.

          If you already have your items in a text format, highlight them and
          double click and it should put the li tags correctly around each item.

          As sisterscape said, it will sometimes misfire if you have items that
          contain a return character in them as it will treat that as two items
          instead of one.
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
            Interestingly, the <ul> function doesn't do this if the lines are
            joined. But the <ol> just ignores the joined lines and latches on to
            the wordwrap breaks to make individual <li>. Go figure . . .

            --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > As sisterscape said, it will sometimes misfire if you have
            > items that
            >
            > contain a return character in them as it will treat that as two >
            items instead of one.

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com