Re: [NH] tidy.exe

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2005
      Kerry,

      Larry's right. The combination of NoteTab and Firefox work wonders.
      You can find a review of many powerful Firefox Web Developer
      extensions at: http://www.webreference.com/reviews/firefox_ext/ (You
      will need to check if they are compatible with v.1.5). I need to
      check the one mentioned by Larry when it is updated.

      I use the combination of the two for managing eight+ very Web sites
      as well are for writing newsletters and articles.

      Lee

      On 12/22/2005 02:26 PM, Larry Hamilton wrote:

      >Kerry,
      >
      >Glad to help.
      >
      >If you use FireFox, there are some good extensions for validating within
      >the browser. WebDeveloper is a good one, and has a lot of features. My
      >favorite, Checky, is not compatible with the 1.5 version of Firefox.
      >Checky is based on Tidy.
      >
      >I find the combination of NoteTab and Firefox a powerful web development
      >tool.
      >
      >Larry Hamilton
      >Kairos Computer Solutions
      >http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

    • Kerry Coates
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
        Thanks again, Larry. I ran my websites through WebDeveloper's validator
        last week and I just can't seem to get my gilamountaindulcimers.com site
        right. It has about 90 pages and keeps growing -- really need to get it
        right. (I built the thing in NoteTabPro. I think I am using HTML 3.2 - I
        don't really know). So I was going to run it through Tidy and then try
        validating on WebDeveloper again.
        I am REALLY new to this webmaster stuff (about two years into it) and so
        all this other stuff is rather new to me. Perhaps I should be writing this
        on the NTB list . . . But thanks for the link to Tidy so I can get my
        NoteTabPro all back together again -- sort of like humpty-dumpty when I got
        the new computer!!
        I don't run FireFox (that's a browser, right?) This is like learning a
        foreign language!!! I am interested in this Checky thing you are talking
        about -- for validating pages? So maybe it would work better for me than
        WebDeveloper? I am running IE, Windows XL, NoteTabPro 4.84. Last year I
        downloaded CSE Validator Standard and I couldn't get past the first page of
        my website. I didn't understand half of it so I just left the program on
        the old computer.

        Kerry Coates
        http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        http://www.gamblingstrategycards.com
        http://www.charrocoats.com
        http://www.paulcoatesguitar.com

        > If you use FireFox, there are some good extensions for validating within
        > the browser. WebDeveloper is a good one, and has a lot of features. My
        > favorite, Checky, is not compatible with the 1.5 version of Firefox.
        > Checky is based on Tidy.
        >
        > I find the combination of NoteTab and Firefox a powerful web development
        > tool.
        >
        > Larry Hamilton
        > Kairos Computer Solutions
        > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
        >

        > Kerry Coates wrote:
        >
        >>wow. Thank you, Larry!!! I have three new projects going and I really
        >>didn't want to do all this by hand!! Yer a jewel!!! Have a great holiday
        >>season and a wonderful New Year!!
        >>
        >>Kerry Coates
        >>

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

      • Kerry Coates
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
          ok. I went, got the zip file downloaded. Tried to use it and got the
          message "false not found" when I tried to run Tidy. I need baby steps on
          this. If I just re-installed my NoteTabPro, would it just come with it?
          What I did when I got my new computer -- I copied all my programs to a CD
          and then dragged and dropped them into My Documents on my new computer. I
          must have left something behind.

          http://www.CharroCoats.com
          http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
          http://www.DulcimerShop.com
          http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
          http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

          > If you use FireFox, there are some good extensions for validating within
          > the browser. WebDeveloper is a good one, and has a lot of features. My
          > favorite, Checky, is not compatible with the 1.5 version of Firefox.
          > Checky is based on Tidy.
          >
          > I find the combination of NoteTab and Firefox a powerful web development
          > tool.
          >
          > Larry Hamilton
          > Kairos Computer Solutions
          > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          >

          > Kerry Coates wrote:
          >
          >>wow. Thank you, Larry!!! I have three new projects going and I really
          >>didn't want to do all this by hand!! Yer a jewel!!! Have a great holiday
          >>season and a wonderful New Year!!
          >>
          >>Kerry Coates
          >>

          > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
            On 23/12/2005 08:32, Kerry Coates invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

            > I am REALLY new to this webmaster stuff (about two years into it) and so

            (...)

            > I don't run FireFox (that's a browser, right?) This is like learning a

            OK, BASIC hint for new webmasters: you HAVE to test your site in more
            than one browser! Even if you follow the standards, different browsers
            have different quirks (let's call them "bugs") and interpret the
            standards in different ways. So, you have to test it in order to check
            if there are no weird problems (like fonts getting too large or small)
            if you switch browsers.

            At a minimum, you should have the three or four major browsers available
            for your operating system. For Windows, this would be Internet Explorer,
            Firefox (or Mozilla) and Opera. For the Mac, IE, Safari, Opera and
            Firefox/Camino/Mozilla. For Linux, Firefox/Mozilla, Konqueror and Opera.
            All those browsers are free, by the way.

            Marcelo Bastos
            -=-=-
            ... Never explain. Friends don't need it, Enemies wouldn't believe it.
            * TagZilla 0.057
          • Kerry Coates
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
              oh, yes, Mozilla. I had that on my other computer. I didn't know if I
              could have more than one browser on the same computer!! <g> This is all
              too much for my little brain to take in at one time!! (I need a
              babysitter - for ME!!!).
              I always knew that I needed to test my webpages in other browsers, but I
              didn't know how. I would call my friends and say, "What browser do you
              have? Can you bring up my webpage for me?" ROFLOL!!! ain't that a hoot .
              . . I did that a couple times and then I just got lazy and I really didn't
              (don't) know much about browsers so I just let it ride.
              If I download these browsers will they take over and make themselves my
              default browser? I went in and did some reading and went to the FAQ pages
              and some of those questions (!!!) scare me -- like one question was about
              the new downloaded browser "taking over" the .jpg file extentions. --
              Eghhaaads. I don't need anymore computer problems . . . .

              Kerry Coates
              http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
              http://www.CharroCoats.com
              http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
              http://www.DulcimerShop.com
              http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
              http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

              > On 23/12/2005 08:32, Kerry Coates invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
              >
              >> I am REALLY new to this webmaster stuff (about two years into it) and
              >> so
              >>

              > (...)
              >
              >> I don't run FireFox (that's a browser, right?) This is like learning a
              >>

              > OK, BASIC hint for new webmasters: you HAVE to test your site in more
              > than one browser! Even if you follow the standards, different browsers
              > have different quirks (let's call them "bugs") and interpret the
              > standards in different ways. So, you have to test it in order to check
              > if there are no weird problems (like fonts getting too large or small)
              > if you switch browsers.
              >
              > At a minimum, you should have the three or four major browsers available
              > for your operating system. For Windows, this would be Internet Explorer,
              > Firefox (or Mozilla) and Opera. For the Mac, IE, Safari, Opera and
              > Firefox/Camino/Mozilla. For Linux, Firefox/Mozilla, Konqueror and Opera.
              > All those browsers are free, by the way.
              >
              > Marcelo Bastos
              > -=-=-
              > ... Never explain. Friends don't need it, Enemies wouldn't believe it.
              > * TagZilla 0.057
              >

              > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

            • dave
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                Hi
                I hope you did not just drag and drop your programs there is other files
                they need in windows and the system??
                As far as the browsers are concerned work out which one your use to as
                default and give it everything ,install the other browsers and only give
                them there own extensions, just say no to any changes that way your media
                files stay the same and your jpg,gif,bmp do not change ..

                THANKYOU DAVE M
                > oh, yes, Mozilla. I had that on my other computer. I didn't know if I
                > could have more than one browser on the same computer!! <g> This is all
                > too much for my little brain to take in at one time!! (I need a
                > babysitter - for ME!!!).
                > I always knew that I needed to test my webpages in other browsers, but
                > didn't know how. I would call my friends and say, "What browser do you
                > have? Can you bring up my webpage for me?" ROFLOL!!! ain't that a hoot
                > .
                > . . I did that a couple times and then I just got lazy and I really
                > didn't
                > (don't) know much about browsers so I just let it ride.
                > If I download these browsers will they take over and make themselves my
                > default browser? I went in and did some reading and went to the FAQ pages
                > and some of those questions (!!!) scare me -- like one question was about
                > the new downloaded browser "taking over" the .jpg file extentions. --
                > Eghhaaads. I don't need anymore computer problems . . . .
                >
                > Kerry Coates
                > http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                > http://www.CharroCoats.com
                > http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
                > http://www.DulcimerShop.com
                > http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                > http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                  > OK, BASIC hint for new webmasters: you HAVE to test your site in more
                  > than one browser! Even if you follow the standards, different browsers
                  > have different quirks (let's call them "bugs") and interpret the
                  > standards in different ways. So, you have to test it in order to check
                  > if there are no weird problems (like fonts getting too large or small)
                  > if you switch browsers.
                  Agreed, but don't bother with IE for MAC. It is dying fast.
                  http://htmlfixit.com/?p=827
                • Kerry Coates
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Don,
                    I went to your site -- htmlfixit.com -- what a great site!!! I
                    bookmarked it. you are so cool.

                    http://www.DulcimerShop.comhttp://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                      Yes, I dragged and dropped them! I had to go back and re-download a few of
                      them over top again because, yes, there were files missing. NoteTabPro -- I
                      re-dowonloaded it but saved my old .ini file because I altered it and wanted
                      to save the changes. Then I just replaced the .ini file after I downloaded
                      it. But Tidy evidently isn't in there. I don't remember how I got Tidy
                      before.
                      I downloaded Tidy yesterday but it isn't working. I goofed something
                      up.