Re: [NH] About "Question Marks"

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
      Word has (in my version) a option to save as HTML without the
      proprietary coding.

      Save as: Html ( web Page), choose Web Page FILTERED in the save as type
      portion of the pop-up save window.

      Supposedly this cuts out the MS coding.

      I go the manual method:

      Paste method:

      The easy (Manual) way is to

      open the word processed page in the program which created it,
      COPY the text off onto a NEW Note Tab Text document,
      Format the page the way you want it to look, and then
      using the MODIFY menu in Note Tab choose Document to Html, and
      use the top option that pops up,
      save your text file created as .htm or .html, and
      open it in your Browser. (Ctrl +T)

      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

      (\o/)

      Bruce Meyers wrote:

      >Thank you to all who replied to my question about question marks.
      >You gave me the answer I expected, but was hoping it was not true.
      >
      >A simple explanation:
      >The Town Clerk types the agenda or minutes on her computer - using
      >Word - and posts them in three places in the town. When I created
      >the site four years ago, she sent me a copy of what she had done and
      >I spent from 30 minutes to an hour adding the html markups to what
      >she had done.
      >
      >Someone suggested to me that I could save a lot of time by just
      >saving her work as an html file and dropping it into the page. When
      >I first saw the terrible mess that it created I did not want to do
      >it, but it did save quite a bit of time. The system worked pretty
      >well for four years and even though the html page looked awful, the
      >finished result did not look bad.
      >
      >I believe the clerk recently got a new computer and a new version of
      >Word. That version of Word is what is causing the problem. The
      >clerk does not know html coding and does not really have the time to
      >recode all of her agenda or minutes so she still has to use
      >the "terrible" html that Word creates in order to put the page on
      >the site. We both agree that it looks awful, but is an unavoidable
      >problem at this time.
      >
      >I am having to give up the job as webmaster because the site has
      >moved to a new server and I am unable to ftp to that server. The
      >town clerk has to do it herself. Unless she is willing to learn some
      >html the problem will persist. We are considering adding a small
      >note apologizing for the "strange" question marks and other "odd"
      >marks that appear and explaining that it is "unavoidable" at this
      >time.
      >
      >I am just trying to explain why we are "forced" to use such awful
      >code. I just don't know of any easy way to turn word processed
      >documents into html.
      >
      >Again, thank you for your analysis and replies
      >Bruce Meyers
      >

      >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
        I never thought I'd be saying this but could she use FrontPage rather
        than Word to generate the html? Even the bloated code it produces
        would be an improvement over the nightmare that Word spews out.

        sisterscape

        --- Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

        > Thank you to all who replied to my question about question marks.
        > You gave me the answer I expected, but was hoping it was not true.
        >
        > A simple explanation:
        > The Town Clerk types the agenda or minutes on her computer - using
        > Word - and posts them in three places in the town. When I created
        > the site four years ago, she sent me a copy of what she had done and
        > I spent from 30 minutes to an hour adding the html markups to what
        > she had done.
        >
        > Someone suggested to me that I could save a lot of time by just
        > saving her work as an html file and dropping it into the page. When
        > I first saw the terrible mess that it created I did not want to do
        > it, but it did save quite a bit of time. The system worked pretty
        > well for four years and even though the html page looked awful, the
        > finished result did not look bad.
        >
        > I believe the clerk recently got a new computer and a new version of
        > Word. That version of Word is what is causing the problem. The
        > clerk does not know html coding and does not really have the time to
        > recode all of her agenda or minutes so she still has to use
        > the "terrible" html that Word creates in order to put the page on
        > the site. We both agree that it looks awful, but is an unavoidable
        > problem at this time.
        >
        > I am having to give up the job as webmaster because the site has
        > moved to a new server and I am unable to ftp to that server. The
        > town clerk has to do it herself. Unless she is willing to learn some
        > html the problem will persist. We are considering adding a small
        > note apologizing for the "strange" question marks and other "odd"
        > marks that appear and explaining that it is "unavoidable" at this
        > time.
        >
        > I am just trying to explain why we are "forced" to use such awful
        > code. I just don't know of any easy way to turn word processed
        > documents into html.
        >
        > Again, thank you for your analysis and replies
        > Bruce Meyers

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Piotr Bieńkowski
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
          sisterscape wrote:

          >I never thought I'd be saying this but could she use FrontPage rather
          >than Word to generate the html? Even the bloated code it produces
          >would be an improvement over the nightmare that Word spews out.

          Also, typing the page in OpenOffice.org Writer and saving as HTML is a
          "lesser evil" than doing that in Word.

          Regards,

          Piotr
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
            Bruce Meyers wrote:
            > I am just trying to explain why we are "forced" to use such awful
            > code. I just don't know of any easy way to turn word processed
            > documents into html.
            >
            > Again, thank you for your analysis and replies
            > Bruce Meyers

            Open the document in word. Hit control + a, hit control + c.
            Open notetab, hit control + n, then hit control + v.
            In notetab select modify, document to html, with paragraph tags.
            Save and upload. It might not be fancy, but it will be readable.

            The other option is to have her use openoffice.org (version 2 -- great
            and free), save as either html (better) or better yet as pdf and add a link.

            Enjoy the challenge.

            Don