Re: [NH] question marks

  • Fay Johnston
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
      When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
      are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
      putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
      used a few deservedly rude words.

    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
        Since one cannot know what character set a visitor to a site is using, it is careful progamming to use the escape-code ' in place of all apostrophes..
        Any HTML-interpreter should render that as an apostrophe on the visitor's screen.

        The same applies to accented characters: á:, é: . . .

        On German keyboards, for example, there are two different apostrophes. The escape-code avoids problems with the display.

        Bruce

        > When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
        > are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
        > putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
        > used a few deservedly rude words.
        >

        > >A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
        > > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
        > > depending on which browser is used to view it.
        > > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
        > > I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
        > > the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
        > > suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.

      • dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
          hi
          the font you have chosen does not have the characters in it, I would use
          arial or
          similar.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > Since one cannot know what character set a visitor to a site is using, it
          > is careful progamming to use the escape-code ' in place of all
          > apostrophes..
          > Any HTML-interpreter should render that as an apostrophe on the visitor's
          > screen.
          >
          > The same applies to accented characters: á:, é: . . .
          >
          > On German keyboards, for example, there are two different apostrophes. The
          > escape-code avoids problems with the display.
          >
          > Bruce
          >

          >> When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as
          >> these
          >> are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
          >> putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it,
          >> just
          >> used a few deservedly rude words.
          >>

          >> >A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
          >> > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
          >> > depending on which browser is used to view it.
          >> > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
          >> > I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
          >> > the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
          >> > suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.
          >> >

          > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
            Fay Johnston wrote:
            > When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
            > are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
            > putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
            > used a few deservedly rude words.
            >

            >>A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
            >>server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
            >>depending on which browser is used to view it.
            >>The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
            >>I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
            >>the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
            >>suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.

            Typical result. People just like the concept of easy publishing so they
            go with word, excel, etc. and save stuff in html having no idea what all
            that means. Junky heavy code, embedded editing information that they
            might not care to share, virus possibilities, etc. Frontpage sites
            break and break big, and then the people running them are clueless.
            I'll stick to my notetab thank you very much.
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
              Is this intended for me of for the orignal poster?

              I don't know what it might mean for me.

              Bruce