using Meta tag "refresh"

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
      Greetings,

      I want to insure a site is always refreshed when viewed to disallow a
      cached version being viewed.

      I tried using the Refresh meta tag but I could not figure out how to
      get it to refresh only once and not every X-seconds.

      Any ideas on this?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
        Mike Breiding wrote:
        >I tried using the Refresh meta tag but I could not figure out how to
        >get it to refresh only once and not every X-seconds.

        Afraid you can't do that.

        >Any ideas on this?

        Yup. Do it on the server.
        <http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/>

        Lotta
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
          At 03:14 PM 12/5/2005 , loro wrote:
          >Mike Breiding wrote:
          > >I tried using the Refresh meta tag but I could not figure out how to
          > >get it to refresh only once and not every X-seconds.
          >
          >Afraid you can't do that.
          >
          > >Any ideas on this?
          >
          >Yup. Do it on the server.
          ><http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/>

          Whew! I will give it a shot.

          As always, thanks!

          -Mike

          Some of my web pages:
          http://www.mBreiding.us/web_pages.html

        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
            Hi Mike,

            > I want to insure a site is always refreshed when viewed to disallow a
            > cached version being viewed.
            >
            > I tried using the Refresh meta tag but I could not figure out how to
            > get it to refresh only once and not every X-seconds.
            >
            > Any ideas on this?

            meta refresh ist the wrong method. If you can't do it on the server, use

            instead.

            <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#idx-meta_data-2>

            HTH,
            Rudi
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
              Thanks Rudi,
              I could not quite wrap my pea sized brain around the document Lotta linked
              to so I have decided to use the expire "tag".
              -Mike

              p.s. Will this cause search spiders to ignore the page?

              ==============

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schrieb am 06.12.2005 11:49:
                > Thanks Rudi,
                > I could not quite wrap my pea sized brain around the document Lotta linked
                > to so I have decided to use the expire "tag".

                "low-tech", and (mostly) working, if your web server is configured
                properly. Check the http headers if the server sends the expires header
                (in a Mozilla browser, "use Page Info")

                > p.s. Will this cause search spiders to ignore the page?

                No, that'd be

                Rudi
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005