question marks

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
      A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
      server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
      depending on which browser is used to view it.
      The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
      I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
      the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
      suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.

      I had to stop being the webmaster because the site is hosted by the
      telephone company as a "personal web page" and I cannot ftp to it from
      my computer.
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        Hi Bruce,

        > A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
        > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
        > depending on which browser is used to view it.
        > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround

        That's because of the encoding. The page ist UTF-8 encoded, and browsers
        have different ways to handle that, if conflicting charsets or encodings
        are used:

        Moreover, there are some html quirks:

        <head>
        </head>
        <head>

        Word html???

        hth,
        Rudi
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
          The question marks seem to be in pages that were created in MS Word 9.
          Yikes!! A word porcessor should never EVER be used to generate html.
          It produces dreadful, proprietary code that can really screw things up.

          I suspect the new (and clueless) 'webmaster' updated a page using Word
          and is now wondering why those gremlins are appearing.

          Tell him/her to learn proper html and the prob should go away. ;)

          sisterscape

          --- Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

          > A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
          > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
          > depending on which browser is used to view it.
          > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
          > I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
          > the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
          > suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.
          >
          > I had to stop being the webmaster because the site is hosted by the
          > telephone company as a "personal web page" and I cannot ftp to it
          > from
          > my computer.

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
            Bruce,

            I am using Firefox 1.07 and the only pages I see with question marks
            are those created with Microsoft Word 9. That could be the problem.
            It's not very good for creating Web pages and adds tons of extra code
            to the page.

            Lee

            On 12/5/2005 12:49 PM, Bruce Meyers wrote:

            >A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
            >server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
            >depending on which browser is used to view it.
            >The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
            >I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
            >the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
            >suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.
            >
            >I had to stop being the webmaster because the site is hosted by the
            >telephone company as a "personal web page" and I cannot ftp to it from
            >my computer.
            >

            >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
            >http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >--
          • Fay Johnston
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
              When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
              are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
              putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
              used a few deservedly rude words.

            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                Since one cannot know what character set a visitor to a site is using, it is careful progamming to use the escape-code ' in place of all apostrophes..
                Any HTML-interpreter should render that as an apostrophe on the visitor's screen.

                The same applies to accented characters: á:, é: . . .

                On German keyboards, for example, there are two different apostrophes. The escape-code avoids problems with the display.

                Bruce

                > When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
                > are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
                > putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
                > used a few deservedly rude words.
                >

                > >A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
                > > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
                > > depending on which browser is used to view it.
                > > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
                > > I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
                > > the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
                > > suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.

              • dave
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                  hi
                  the font you have chosen does not have the characters in it, I would use
                  arial or
                  similar.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > Since one cannot know what character set a visitor to a site is using, it
                  > is careful progamming to use the escape-code ' in place of all
                  > apostrophes..
                  > Any HTML-interpreter should render that as an apostrophe on the visitor's
                  > screen.
                  >
                  > The same applies to accented characters: á:, é: . . .
                  >
                  > On German keyboards, for example, there are two different apostrophes. The
                  > escape-code avoids problems with the display.
                  >
                  > Bruce
                  >

                  >> When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as
                  >> these
                  >> are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
                  >> putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it,
                  >> just
                  >> used a few deservedly rude words.
                  >>

                  >> >A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
                  >> > server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
                  >> > depending on which browser is used to view it.
                  >> > The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
                  >> > I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
                  >> > the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
                  >> > suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.
                  >> >

                  > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                    Fay Johnston wrote:
                    > When I saw question marks on a web page--in place of apostrophes, as these
                    > are--the webmaster told me that the people who owned the site had been
                    > putting stuff up themselves from a wysiwyg editor. He didn't name it, just
                    > used a few deservedly rude words.
                    >

                    >>A site that I created in NoteTab has recently been moved to a new
                    >>server. Question marks are showing up on the page in different ways
                    >>depending on which browser is used to view it.
                    >>The site is http://home.centurytel.net/tnround
                    >>I am no longer the webmaster for this site, but I am the creator and
                    >>the main consultant for the site. I would appreciate any comments or
                    >>suggestions that might explain the appearance of the question marks.

                    Typical result. People just like the concept of easy publishing so they
                    go with word, excel, etc. and save stuff in html having no idea what all
                    that means. Junky heavy code, embedded editing information that they
                    might not care to share, virus possibilities, etc. Frontpage sites
                    break and break big, and then the people running them are clueless.
                    I'll stick to my notetab thank you very much.
                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Is this intended for me of for the orignal poster?

                      I don't know what it might mean for me.

                      Bruce