RE: [NH] Re: Font sizing that works . . . and doesn't

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- Greg Chapman <greg@...> wrote:

      > The only point I would stand by, the one which you concede to some
      > extent,
      > was that mixing serif and sans serif fonts in the cascade does not
      > make
      > sense artistically, as the two generic styles (whatever ideal or
      > preferred
      > font you name) do set the tone of a piece of writing. (Personally, I
      > find
      > that Times New Roman is a visually appalling mess of jaggies when
      > used as
      > body text at Internet Explorer's default setting.
      >
      > As I said - just a little more to think about!
      >
      > Greg

      I totally agree that Times New Roman doesn't work well on a webpage for
      any number of reasons. After all, it is a font meant for paper not a
      monitor! I use san serif fonts on all my sites. The one time I had a
      client who insusted on Times New Roman, I compromised by not setting
      any font and leaving it up to the user - I couldn't bear to design the
      site looking at TNR!

      When I first started designing, I used Arial a lot but over time, have
      become very attached to the open letter spacing of Verdana - it is so
      much easier to read.

      John, I usually set my base font size anywhere between 76 - 82% and
      then the main content font at 100% (or 1em). Headers of course are
      sized up and footers etc. are sized down. This system has not failed
      me yet in my extensive testing.

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • LEE CRESSWELL
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
        I agree with you about Verdana being the nicest. I use
        it for my Assignments at College and they seem to like
        it. It may seem extraordinary for such a minor issue
        (+/- 5% on font size) to become the subject of such
        heated argument. It did eventually fizzle out
        though....

        Regards,
        Lee.
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2005
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:

          > John, I usually set my base font size anywhere between 76 - 82% and
          > then the main content font at 100% (or 1em). Headers of course are
          > sized up and footers etc. are sized down. This system has not failed
          > me yet in my extensive testing.

          I think we're basically on the same page there Sister. I set my base font size at 100% and then down size to .85em (give or take a few em's) to get what I want and I've had excellent results doing it that way over the years too.

          Thanks to your and Greg's comments I've revised my list of fonts and removed Times New Roman, Times, and serif from my TopStyle CSS template. I should have done this a long time ago, however since those were near the end of my chain of fonts, it's not likely to make any difference to the people viewing my pages.

          John