Re: [NH] Estimating Storage Usage

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17 7:07 PM
      Hi Lotta, thefrank, Don, Alan,

      Thank you for all the great suggestions. I'll definitely try them, but for
      now, the problem is solved quite conventionally.

      Our site was being attacked by one or more spam robots. We had been getting
      annoyance spams added to our guestbook, so last Spring, I installed one of the
      more sophisticated guestbook handlers. It worked for a while, but it, too,
      was getting two or three inappropriate emails each week. As a substitute, I
      created a Yahoo discussion group like this one for all our club members.
      After it became accepted, I deleted the menu navigation on our website to the
      guestbook page. I didn't, however, disable the guestbook application.

      Yesterday, in a manual search of our site using an FTP application, I was
      amazed to discover that the messages folder of our guestbook contained more
      than 33,000 spam emails. Examining the dates of the spam messages, some days
      had no entries, but since Sunday I was receiving thousands of spams each day,
      including 10,200 spams on November 16th.

      I purged the spam, and deleted the guestbook software.. Even though our
      account has a storage limit of 300MB, HostCentric had allowed it to
      temporarily balloon to 478MB. After the purge (and the deletion of some old
      traffic statistics files as suggested here), we now are back to 68MB in use.
      Crisis averted!

      The tools and techniques you mentioned are good to know about. Thank you for
      all your help.

      Ray Shapp