folder jumper

  • LEE CRESSWELL
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
      Hi all,
      wondered if any of you know why my HTML
      hyperlink up from an underling file that traverses
      it's parent folder has acquired the genetic diversity
      making this link capable of performing a rabbit-like
      leap past the next parent, so I have to call it back
      into the fold before it will settle on the right
      bus...

      Not my fault. I checked out the NoteTab HTML link clip
      that finds it's own path and it clearly specifies no
      need to make any return journies after 'overshoot'.

      If I use that version of the link file not found 404
      happens... until I put the bunny back in its hole by
      re-affirming the parent (which shouldn't need
      mentioning because it is common to the source and
      destination files)

      Can anyone explain how the rabbit got in my code?

      Regards,
      Lee.
    • LEE CRESSWELL
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
        Yes to all of the above....

        Don was 100% correct. I had structured the site with
        an arrangement that put three sites rooted in one
        index, but one of the three folders has a password
        only access to a slightly more secure version of the
        home page, this one being a POSIX Extended regular
        expression form validation response. [but still within
        that third folder]. The link was Log In. Only question
        was where was I or rather what was I logging in to.
        But you were right, both ends of the link were in fact
        all long on the same bus, so my folder jump was
        surplus to requirements, and needed deducting to keep
        the link in line.

        Thanks for advice..

        Sorry, the rather cryptic POSIX stuff won't show if
        you look at the source code. The secure area is
        accessed via the Administration tab (no password,
        though, so no access, folks) but you're welcome to
        take a look at the rest of the site. Enable Javascript
        on Mozilla for the cartoon mouse.
        http://www.smidgens.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
          LEE CRESSWELL wrote:
          >Enable Javascript on Mozilla for the cartoon mouse.
          >http://www.smidgens.co.uk

          Uhm, no go. Looks like Mr Mouse lives on your HD.
          file:///c:/The%20Smidgens%20Site/colour.mouse.1/mouse0.bmp
          Also, BMP isn't a good format for the Web. Apart from the images being big,
          not all browsers show BMP.

          I didn't follow the bit about relative URLs, but it sounds like you have
          solved the problem so never mind me. :-)

          Lotta
        • LEE CRESSWELL
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
            Now the mouse does the folder jumping. Will it ever
            end.... God help us.

            Thanks for the hint.
            Lee.
          • LEE CRESSWELL
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
              Loro right again.

              Thanks.

              I had uploaded the images and left them on file on the
              server. I should have updated the code that I used to
              get the mouse going on my pc to link it to the
              server-based image file after uploading the file for
              the header.

              Thanks again.
              Lee.