Re: [NH] questions about a Tidy error report

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
      Hi Mike,

      tidy's right, you got some errors in there...

      --> <head> missing!

      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="photos.css">
      </head>

      Rudi
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
        On 12/11/2005 09:19, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV invited the wrath of
        the gods by saying:

        >Previously I used a version of Tidy dated Oct 2004.
        >Yesterday I downloaded a newer version from http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html .
        >
        >I ran a check on the code below and Tidy returned the following errors.
        >I do not understand why they were reported as errors. Can someone enlighten me?
        >Thanks!

        What Rudolf said.

        Further explaining:

        Tidy is great at detecting errors, but sometimes not so great at fixing
        them. What apparently happened here is that, in the "tidying" process,
        Tidy tried to fix some of the detected errors by inserting <body></body>
        tags (maybe embracing the whole of the content). Then it found the
        existing tags and got further confused.

        In my experience, I found it useful to reload the original file,
        manually check and fix a few error messages (starting from the top) and
        then run Tidy again. Sometimes fixing just one error on top of the file
        will get rid of a whole bunch of warnings and errors...

        Marcelo Bastos
        -=-=-
        ... Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
        - H.L. Mencken
        * TagZilla 0.057
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005