questions about a Tidy error report

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
      Previously I used a version of Tidy dated Oct 2004.
      Yesterday I downloaded a newer version from http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html .

      I ran a check on the code below and Tidy returned the following errors.
      I do not understand why they were reported as errors. Can someone enlighten me?
      Thanks!

      -Mike
      line 15 column 1 - Warning: </head> isn't allowed in <body> elements
      line 15 column 1 - Warning: <body> isn't allowed in <body> elements
      line 15 column 1 - Warning: </body> isn't allowed in <body> elements
      -----------------------
      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
      Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="photos.css">
      </head>
      <title> Please conrtibute! </title>

      <h3>If you have additions or corrections for the page just viewed and would
      like to add them to the site, please feel free to submit them for
      inclusion.</h3>

      page.
      If you wish credit for the contribution include that information as well.</p>

      <a
      href='mailto:mike@m
      ;breiding.us'>Mike
      Breiding</a> </p>

      to previous page" onclick="history.go(-1);return true;">

      http://www.mBreiding.us/web_pages.html

    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
        Hi Mike,

        tidy's right, you got some errors in there...

        --> <head> missing!

        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="photos.css">
        </head>

        Rudi
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
          On 12/11/2005 09:19, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV invited the wrath of
          the gods by saying:

          >Previously I used a version of Tidy dated Oct 2004.
          >Yesterday I downloaded a newer version from http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html .
          >
          >I ran a check on the code below and Tidy returned the following errors.
          >I do not understand why they were reported as errors. Can someone enlighten me?
          >Thanks!

          What Rudolf said.

          Further explaining:

          Tidy is great at detecting errors, but sometimes not so great at fixing
          them. What apparently happened here is that, in the "tidying" process,
          Tidy tried to fix some of the detected errors by inserting <body></body>
          tags (maybe embracing the whole of the content). Then it found the
          existing tags and got further confused.

          In my experience, I found it useful to reload the original file,
          manually check and fix a few error messages (starting from the top) and
          then run Tidy again. Sometimes fixing just one error on top of the file
          will get rid of a whole bunch of warnings and errors...

          Marcelo Bastos
          -=-=-
          ... Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
          - H.L. Mencken
          * TagZilla 0.057
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005