Search Entire Web Site for Keywords; Tools for it?

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi All,

      I'm asking the following question on this list, because it is
      HTML related, but please do not discuss any software, unless you
      re-post to the Off Topic list. TIA

      Are there utilities (free preferred ;) that will search a whole
      site for a keyword(s) and give at least the count? Count per page
      and total would be even more great! Thanks! I figure if anybody
      knows this it is you guys/gals. (I'm trying to study why sites
      get high search result listings for certain keywords, FYI. I know
      there are tips out there on how to do it, but I would like to
      actually survey sites myself to see what makes them so unique to
      get top search listings.)

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
      Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi Jody,

        > (I'm trying to study why sites
        > get high search result listings for certain keywords, FYI. I know
        > there are tips out there on how to do it, but I would like to
        > actually survey sites myself to see what makes them so unique to
        > get top search listings.)

        George W. Bush's bio and Michael Moore's website don't contain the
        phrase "miserable failure" at all, but they're the 2 top search results
        for that very phrase.
        I think your approach might be slightly misleading therefore. ;-)

        A nice free tool for Google analysis is "Free Monitor for Google"
        <http://www.cleverstat.com/>
        They have a range of other search engine tools, but these are not free
        (Demo versions available).

        HTH,
        Rudi
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
          Hi Rudi,

          >> (I'm trying to study why sites get high search result listings
          >> for certain keywords, FYI. I know there are tips out there on
          >> how to do it, but I would like to actually survey sites myself
          >> to see what makes them so unique to get top search listings.)
          >
          >George W. Bush's bio and Michael Moore's website don't contain
          >the phrase "miserable failure" at all, but they're the 2 top
          >search results for that very phrase.
          >I think your approach might be slightly misleading therefore. ;-)

          LOL! Thanks! I won't get into the politics of the matter, unless
          you want to write me private email. <vbg>

          >A nice free tool for Google analysis is "Free Monitor for Google"
          ><http://www.cleverstat.com/>

          Thanks much! I did look at some sites manually and things just
          didn't make much sense compared to mine, but then I do not pay
          for keywords, etc.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
            Jody wrote:
            >I'm asking the following question on this list, because it is
            >HTML related, but please do not discuss any software,

            Oh. OK. :-P

            >Are there utilities (free preferred ;) that will search a whole
            >site for a keyword(s) and give at least the count?

            Yes.

            >(I'm trying to study why sites get high search result listings for certain
            >keywords,
            >FYI. I know there are tips out there on how to do it, but I would like to
            >actually survey sites myself to see what makes them so unique to
            >get top search listings.)

            I'm no expert, but I don't think keywords density is "it", even if the
            words actually occurring probably helps.
            At least when it comes to google I think it's more link popularity and the
            use of those keywords as link text and even in the context the link is
            placed in. Keyword uniqueness of course places you at the top too, even if
            no one actually searches for that term. ;-o)

            Lotta
          • blake mooney
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
              Jody--I was always told that the word SEX in any phrase, keyword, metatag, or whatever was number one! The lead of that one word over all the others astounded me and still does, that is, until I listen to the news and tire of the murders, and then flip the channel to something else and there's one of the culprits hurting young girls these days: "GIRLS' GONE WILD." I'll say they have and they're paying dearly for it. Maybe NAIVE should be the second word.
              Blake

              Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:
              Hi All,

              I'm asking the following question on this list, because it is
              HTML related, but please do not discuss any software, unless you
              re-post to the Off Topic list. TIA

              Are there utilities (free preferred ;) that will search a whole
              site for a keyword(s) and give at least the count? Count per page
              and total would be even more great! Thanks! I figure if anybody
              knows this it is you guys/gals. (I'm trying to study why sites
              get high search result listings for certain keywords, FYI. I know
              there are tips out there on how to do it, but I would like to
              actually survey sites myself to see what makes them so unique to
              get top search listings.)

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
              Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

              Computer and internet software

              Tell your friends to use these sites even though they're under construction:

              America's Greatest Cardiologist: http://www.drgeorgeburch.org

              Where Is My Doctor: http://www.whereismydoctor.orh

              Altitude Rated Places: http://www.altitude-rated-places.com

              My Crazy Legs: http://www.mycrazylegs.com