Re: [NH] Changing CMOS and Formatting Hard Drive

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
      On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
      >laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
      >
      >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
      >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
      >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
      >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
      >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
      >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
      >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
      >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
      >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
      >drive.

      Generally speaking, you should only use a BIOS supplied by your
      computer/motherboard maker. Although they may seem the same (same
      general appearance / version number), BIOSes for different computers are
      actually different: they are "tuned" to that specific motherboard, and
      using them in any other system is a recipe for disaster. In fact, some
      BIOS flash software will check if the BIOS is appropriate for that
      motherboard and plain refuse to install if it's the wrong one.

      And it's very, very, very rare for a computer maker to make available
      two different brands of BIOS for the same machine. If there is some
      problem with the initial BIOS release, they will update it with a new
      version from the same supplier. I think you will have to stay with a
      Phoenix BIOS. Although I'm not sure why you consider it "pitiful" --
      most BIOS brands have been very stable for quite a few years now. Any
      limitations in your BIOS configurability is result of the
      manufacturer's (HP) requests, not a lack of flexibility on the part of
      the BIOS itself.

      If you ever see two apparently identical machines with different BIOS
      brands, it's almost certain that if you open the case, you will find
      out that the motherboard is quite different too, despite being sold as
      the same model. (This applies to other stuff too: every time I have to
      update the firmware in a network appliance, such as a router or print
      server, it turns out that there are at least three different "hardware
      revisions" -- meaning different innards, same box -- sold under the same
      model number. And, of course, the firmware is different for each
      "hardware revision").

      Caveat to the above: there used to be a few suppliers of "custom"
      aftermarket BIOSes for some popular machines. I really don't know if
      they are sill around, OR if they will carry a BIOS model for your
      particular computer. And, anyway, if your computer is still under
      warranty, flashing an aftermarket BIOS would probably void it.

      Now, about your notebook... is it a 100 Mb drive (quite old) or a 100 Gb
      drive (brand-new)?

      Marcelo Bastos
      -=-=-
      ... Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a doctor! Hey, wait a minute!
      * TagZilla 0.057
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
        On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
        >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
        >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
        >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
        >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
        >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
        >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
        >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
        >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
        >drive.

        Following up...

        I'm not entirely clear on this, but it appears that you wish to
        repartition your hard drive and you are having a hard time of it.

        Did you try booting from a CD? There are a number of ways for doing
        that. BootItNG, for instance, (
        http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html ) is a multipurpose tool
        (boot manager, repartitioner, imager) which can be easily burned into a
        single bootable floppy or CD. Best of all, if you don't intend to use it
        as a boot manager, you can use the "maintenance mode" (the one that does
        the repartitioning) without purchasing a serial number

        Be aware, however, that many computer makers will place a hidden
        "recovery" partition somewhere in your hard disk, which will contain
        (usually) an image of your C: partition as it was when it left the
        factory. If you erase it without backing it up (like to CD) first, you
        may be unable to restore your computer to the factory state afterwards.

        Marcelo Bastos

        -=-=-
        ... "The game, Watson, is afoot." -- Sherlock Holmes
        * TagZilla 0.057
      • dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
          Me again I asume you mean 100gig , 100meg is a very small drive and how much
          of the drive is NTFS ,pqmagic will allow you to reduce the existing NTFS
          patition then you can add any thing else you want , what system are you
          running.

          THANKYOU DAVE

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
            Hi All,

            Oops!!! The message was not suppose to be sent yet, and
            definitely not to the [NH] list!!! I'll make any replies (when I
            get the time to the Off Topic list. ***Everybody***, please do
            the same. TIA