RE: [NH] Changing CMOS and Formatting Hard Drive

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi Jody,

      Isn't this a bit Off-topic? :-)

      > I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
      > laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
      >
      > Can I replace a CMOS

      As I understand it the BIOS (and CMOS) are so much part and parcel of the
      basic hardware, motherboard, chipsets, etc, that it will not be possible,
      unless you replace most of the fundamental hardware.

      I stand to be corrected (on the OT list!)

      Greg
    • dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
        Hi Jody
        Before you reflash your bios take a COPY in case off ??
        Usually the new bios comes with a backup program and make absolutely sure
        that it matches the one you all ready have.

        Normally you can not copy from another machine.

        what do you mean with the NTFS format you will keep the same.

        THANYOU DAVE

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
          On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
          >laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
          >
          >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
          >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
          >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
          >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
          >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
          >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
          >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
          >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
          >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
          >drive.

          Generally speaking, you should only use a BIOS supplied by your
          computer/motherboard maker. Although they may seem the same (same
          general appearance / version number), BIOSes for different computers are
          actually different: they are "tuned" to that specific motherboard, and
          using them in any other system is a recipe for disaster. In fact, some
          BIOS flash software will check if the BIOS is appropriate for that
          motherboard and plain refuse to install if it's the wrong one.

          And it's very, very, very rare for a computer maker to make available
          two different brands of BIOS for the same machine. If there is some
          problem with the initial BIOS release, they will update it with a new
          version from the same supplier. I think you will have to stay with a
          Phoenix BIOS. Although I'm not sure why you consider it "pitiful" --
          most BIOS brands have been very stable for quite a few years now. Any
          limitations in your BIOS configurability is result of the
          manufacturer's (HP) requests, not a lack of flexibility on the part of
          the BIOS itself.

          If you ever see two apparently identical machines with different BIOS
          brands, it's almost certain that if you open the case, you will find
          out that the motherboard is quite different too, despite being sold as
          the same model. (This applies to other stuff too: every time I have to
          update the firmware in a network appliance, such as a router or print
          server, it turns out that there are at least three different "hardware
          revisions" -- meaning different innards, same box -- sold under the same
          model number. And, of course, the firmware is different for each
          "hardware revision").

          Caveat to the above: there used to be a few suppliers of "custom"
          aftermarket BIOSes for some popular machines. I really don't know if
          they are sill around, OR if they will carry a BIOS model for your
          particular computer. And, anyway, if your computer is still under
          warranty, flashing an aftermarket BIOS would probably void it.

          Now, about your notebook... is it a 100 Mb drive (quite old) or a 100 Gb
          drive (brand-new)?

          Marcelo Bastos
          -=-=-
          ... Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a doctor! Hey, wait a minute!
          * TagZilla 0.057
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
            On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

            >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
            >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
            >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
            >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
            >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
            >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
            >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
            >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
            >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
            >drive.

            Following up...

            I'm not entirely clear on this, but it appears that you wish to
            repartition your hard drive and you are having a hard time of it.

            Did you try booting from a CD? There are a number of ways for doing
            that. BootItNG, for instance, (
            http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html ) is a multipurpose tool
            (boot manager, repartitioner, imager) which can be easily burned into a
            single bootable floppy or CD. Best of all, if you don't intend to use it
            as a boot manager, you can use the "maintenance mode" (the one that does
            the repartitioning) without purchasing a serial number

            Be aware, however, that many computer makers will place a hidden
            "recovery" partition somewhere in your hard disk, which will contain
            (usually) an image of your C: partition as it was when it left the
            factory. If you erase it without backing it up (like to CD) first, you
            may be unable to restore your computer to the factory state afterwards.

            Marcelo Bastos

            -=-=-
            ... "The game, Watson, is afoot." -- Sherlock Holmes
            * TagZilla 0.057
          • dave
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
              Me again I asume you mean 100gig , 100meg is a very small drive and how much
              of the drive is NTFS ,pqmagic will allow you to reduce the existing NTFS
              patition then you can add any thing else you want , what system are you
              running.

              THANKYOU DAVE

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
                Hi All,

                Oops!!! The message was not suppose to be sent yet, and
                definitely not to the [NH] list!!! I'll make any replies (when I
                get the time to the Off Topic list. ***Everybody***, please do
                the same. TIA