Changing CMOS and Formatting Hard Drive

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi All,

      I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
      laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.

      Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
      Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
      pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
      normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
      trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
      available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
      then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
      the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
      DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
      drive.

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some! ;)
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
        > laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
        >
        > Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
        > Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
        > pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
        > normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
        > trouble? <bg>

        The hardware chip? Or, flash the chip with new firmware? Both?

        HP may have a later bios/cmos flash for it if you look. I flashed my
        IBM 600X with the latest from IBM.

        Not recommended unless good reason avails itself. I had good reason,
        the IBM 600 series laptop had battery troubles (the batt that can run
        the laptop from) due to overcharging caused by you guessed it the
        earlier bios flash. Also recognize later/larger hard drive with later
        flash. More than that too. So I went "flash". It works great!

        > So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
        > available.

        I have a IBM ThinkPad 600X laptop. Its bios allows me to specify a
        boot order.

        I went into bios, changed that setting. Made its boot order: 1. A:\
        2. CDROM 3. Hard drive.

        Thus I can boot from a floppy, a bootable cd disk, or the hard drive.

        (CDROM drive is standard on these). Can use without floppy. But I
        have the external floppy drive unit. This unit with short cable just
        plugs to a port on the side of the laptop.

        Factory boot order setting didn't include floppy and may not included
        CD disk either. This laptop factory settings seem they were oriented
        toward security. (Them execs and their data).

        But this is a good old 650 MHZ pentium III laptop from 2000, early
        2000 I think. (outdated for them execs today). Does what I need fine
        though. Linux will be going onto it.

        What, it, yours, doesn't boot to a running OS?

        > It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
        > then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
        > the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
        > DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
        > drive.

        Yes, DOS and FDISK can't handle a NTFS drive. Partition Magic work
        fine on it though like you already said.

        If u can boot from CD then Knoppix could used to format the drive (can
        handle NTFS) but might not able to go back to NTFS -- might limited to
        fat32 or Linux partition(s) when re partition.

        Well, as far as boot from CD . . . Win 2k or Win XP as you know can
        repair/format. So, I guess you didn't need the Knoppix idea.

        Alan.
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
          Hi Jody,

          Isn't this a bit Off-topic? :-)

          > I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
          > laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
          >
          > Can I replace a CMOS

          As I understand it the BIOS (and CMOS) are so much part and parcel of the
          basic hardware, motherboard, chipsets, etc, that it will not be possible,
          unless you replace most of the fundamental hardware.

          I stand to be corrected (on the OT list!)

          Greg
        • dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
            Hi Jody
            Before you reflash your bios take a COPY in case off ??
            Usually the new bios comes with a backup program and make absolutely sure
            that it matches the one you all ready have.

            Normally you can not copy from another machine.

            what do you mean with the NTFS format you will keep the same.

            THANYOU DAVE

            > I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
            > laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
            >
            > Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
            > Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
            > pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
            > normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
            > trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
            > available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
            > then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
            > the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
            > DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
            > drive.
            >
            > Take care,
            > Jody Adair
            >
            > The whole world doth err save you and me,
            > and even thou doest err some! ;)
            > http://clean-funnies.com
            > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
            >

            > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
              On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

              >Hi All,
              >
              >I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
              >laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
              >
              >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
              >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
              >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
              >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
              >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
              >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
              >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
              >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
              >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
              >drive.

              Generally speaking, you should only use a BIOS supplied by your
              computer/motherboard maker. Although they may seem the same (same
              general appearance / version number), BIOSes for different computers are
              actually different: they are "tuned" to that specific motherboard, and
              using them in any other system is a recipe for disaster. In fact, some
              BIOS flash software will check if the BIOS is appropriate for that
              motherboard and plain refuse to install if it's the wrong one.

              And it's very, very, very rare for a computer maker to make available
              two different brands of BIOS for the same machine. If there is some
              problem with the initial BIOS release, they will update it with a new
              version from the same supplier. I think you will have to stay with a
              Phoenix BIOS. Although I'm not sure why you consider it "pitiful" --
              most BIOS brands have been very stable for quite a few years now. Any
              limitations in your BIOS configurability is result of the
              manufacturer's (HP) requests, not a lack of flexibility on the part of
              the BIOS itself.

              If you ever see two apparently identical machines with different BIOS
              brands, it's almost certain that if you open the case, you will find
              out that the motherboard is quite different too, despite being sold as
              the same model. (This applies to other stuff too: every time I have to
              update the firmware in a network appliance, such as a router or print
              server, it turns out that there are at least three different "hardware
              revisions" -- meaning different innards, same box -- sold under the same
              model number. And, of course, the firmware is different for each
              "hardware revision").

              Caveat to the above: there used to be a few suppliers of "custom"
              aftermarket BIOSes for some popular machines. I really don't know if
              they are sill around, OR if they will carry a BIOS model for your
              particular computer. And, anyway, if your computer is still under
              warranty, flashing an aftermarket BIOS would probably void it.

              Now, about your notebook... is it a 100 Mb drive (quite old) or a 100 Gb
              drive (brand-new)?

              Marcelo Bastos
              -=-=-
              ... Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a doctor! Hey, wait a minute!
              * TagZilla 0.057
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
                On 30/09/2005 00:49, Jody invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                >Can I replace a CMOS, like the pitiful one above with (I think)
                >Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name? If so, any
                >pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it free
                >normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking for
                >trouble? <bg> So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I have
                >available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so I can
                >then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive. It is now
                >the NTFS format and I'll keep it like that when formatting.
                >DISKPART won't let me create a partition/volume on the only MBR
                >drive.

                Following up...

                I'm not entirely clear on this, but it appears that you wish to
                repartition your hard drive and you are having a hard time of it.

                Did you try booting from a CD? There are a number of ways for doing
                that. BootItNG, for instance, (
                http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html ) is a multipurpose tool
                (boot manager, repartitioner, imager) which can be easily burned into a
                single bootable floppy or CD. Best of all, if you don't intend to use it
                as a boot manager, you can use the "maintenance mode" (the one that does
                the repartitioning) without purchasing a serial number

                Be aware, however, that many computer makers will place a hidden
                "recovery" partition somewhere in your hard disk, which will contain
                (usually) an image of your C: partition as it was when it left the
                factory. If you erase it without backing it up (like to CD) first, you
                may be unable to restore your computer to the factory state afterwards.

                Marcelo Bastos

                -=-=-
                ... "The game, Watson, is afoot." -- Sherlock Holmes
                * TagZilla 0.057
              • dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
                  Me again I asume you mean 100gig , 100meg is a very small drive and how much
                  of the drive is NTFS ,pqmagic will allow you to reduce the existing NTFS
                  patition then you can add any thing else you want , what system are you
                  running.

                  THANKYOU DAVE

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
                    Hi All,

                    Oops!!! The message was not suppose to be sent yet, and
                    definitely not to the [NH] list!!! I'll make any replies (when I
                    get the time to the Off Topic list. ***Everybody***, please do
                    the same. TIA