font problem with IE and Netscape

  • ofdddd
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      I am using the same stylesheet for a web site, but font size appears
      differently in current versions of IE and Netscape.
      The relevant style follows:
      #content
      {
      font-size: 150%;
      }
      Why would my text be rendered larger in IE than Netscape?
      Any help will be appreciated.
      Corum Deo,
      Lew
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
        Different browsers render fonts differently. If it's NN 4 your worried
        about (I still do!), you can set one size for NN 4 then set another one
        for all other browsers like this:

        #content
        {
        font-size: 150%;
        }
        /*/*/ #content
        {
        font-size: 120%;
        } /* */

        The best tut I've found on getting font sizes to work cross browser can
        be found here -
        http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html#screens
        If you follow those suggestions you will be pretty successful at
        getting most all your font sizes to work across browers and at all text
        sizes.

        Hope that helps.

        sisterscape

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
          ofdddd wrote:
          >I am using the same stylesheet for a web site, but font size appears
          >differently in current versions of IE and Netscape.
          >The relevant style follows:
          >#content
          >{
          >font-size: 150%;
          >}
          >Why would my text be rendered larger in IE than Netscape?
          >Any help will be appreciated.

          Maybe you use different text size in the two browsers?

          If that's not it, which versions of the two browsers? How does the HTML
          look? Is #content in a table by any chance? Netscape 4 doesn't inherit
          font-size into tables. Neither does modern IE and Moz if they are in quirks
          mode. That said, percent is the only unit for font-size that AFAIK is
          bug-free in all modern browsers so there is no reason it shouldn't be
          possible to get a consistent look. Nuff guessing. ;-)