Site Icon, flavicon.ico

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
      Hi All,

      Sorry, forgot the Subject: line!

      Do I have to use some kind of special link or something in my .css
      file in order to get the site icon to display? It works at some of
      my sites, but not all. This is an example of my current code:

      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

      Thanks!

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • Bert Byfield
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
        > Do I have to use some kind of special link or something in my .css
        > file in order to get the site icon to display? It works at some of my
        > sites, but not all. This is an example of my current code:
        > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
        > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

        No. The "favicon.ico" file has to be in the primary folder of the site,
        where something like the "index.htm" (etc) is, that's all. It has to be
        16x16, too. But the rest is up to the browser and other programs
        that read web pages. "Robots.txt" goes in that folder, too, and if you
        don't know what that is, just ask Google.

      • Jason W.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
          On 7/9/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

          > Do I have to use some kind of special link or something in my .css
          > file in order to get the site icon to display? It works at some of
          > my sites, but not all. This is an example of my current code:
          >
          > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
          > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

          Jody,

          If you name it favicon.ico and put it in the root of your site, then
          you should not need to specifically hard-code the location into your
          pages. Keep in mind that IE sometimes will show the icon and sometimes
          won't. Sometimes it won't show the icon till you bookmark the page.
          Firefox is a lot better but I've seen it do weird things - like right
          now, my Gmail tab has the icon but not the address bar.

          BTW, the syntax you have above should be correct for defining a
          non-standard favicon file. www.favicon.com has more info but it sounds
          ilke you've got it down-pat.

          --
          HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

          Jason

          EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

          On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
          Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
          was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
            Hi Jason ,

            >> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
            >> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
            >
            >Jody,
            >
            >If you name it favicon.ico and put it in the root of your site, then
            >you should not need to specifically hard-code the location into your
            >pages. Keep in mind that IE sometimes will show the icon and sometimes
            >won't.

            Thanks! I saw it work in FireFox. What gets me is both sites are at the
            same server, but only on of the sites shows the favicon on all of its
            pages, but the other does not show ant. I triple checked my code.

            <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
            <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

            The icon is definitely in the root with the index.htm Oh, well, as long
            as I know it is coded correctly.

            http://www.notetab.net
            http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
            Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
              Hi Bert

              >> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="aid4mail.css">
              >> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
              >
              >No. The "favicon.ico" file has to be in the primary folder of the site,
              >where something like the "index.htm" (etc) is, that's all. It has to be
              >16x16, too. But the rest is up to the browser and other programs
              >that read web pages. "Robots.txt" goes in that folder, too, and if you
              >don't know what that is, just ask Google.

              Thanks; I saw my ico as 16x16 and thought, alright! But, still a no-go.
              It does work in FireFox though.

              Ah, restarted NetCaptor and it now works! :) Thanks; must have been the
              18x18 needed to be 16x16.

              Happy Camper,
              jody

              A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
              but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

              See ya in the funnies! ;)
              http://www.clean-funnies.com