Re: [NH] non SGML errors . . . [mystery solved]

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi sisterscape,

      >> So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
      >> I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg
      >> so you can see the critters.

      Sorry, no attachments allowed.

      >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks
      >(i.e. carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some
      >reason, the ftp isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.
      >Using WS_FTP LE and yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this
      >problem with other scripts before.

      You probably knew it; just couldn't recall from memory. ;) Once I
      read it was the line endings I figured it had to do wit that, but
      was out, busy, etc... and could not get back to you. Glad it took
      awhile and you found it, because you will remember it easier next
      time around. I think some of the following features will explain
      why you did not detect the characters in NoteTab and may be useful
      to you in the future. FYI...

      If you open the file in NoteTab and place your mouse pointer
      somewhere in the edit window the Status bar will tell you what
      format it is. NoteTab can save to different formats via Save
      Format in Options | Documents | Format | Saves as (global) and
      right click on file tabs for the individual file.

      Menu commands...

      Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks
      Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac files)
      that do not display lines with standard carriage return + line
      feed characters.

      File | Export...
      Saves the text selection or the active document in a different
      format: ASCII/ANSI, DOS, UNIX, EBCDIC, or Mac. Using this command
      on an Outline document will produce a normal text file from it.
      By default, headings are underlined. This setting can be turned
      off through the "Underline Headings" field in the Options dialog
      box on the Outline tab.

      Clip commands and functions...

      StrAsciiToAnsi
      ^$StrAsciiToAnsi("Str")$
      Returns Str with all extended ASCII characters converted to ANSI.

      StrFixLines
      ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)
      Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-
      formatted text is converted to Dos/Windows format).

      SaveAscii
      ^!SaveAscii FileName (added in v4.6)
      Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters) but
      saves the document using the DOS extended ASCII character set instead
      of Windows ANSI.

      Export
      ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
      ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in v4.6)
      Exports current document under specified file name. Optional
      settings are used to define output format. Use a comma or colon
      to separate multiple settings and use double quotes around the
      file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC files, you
      can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width lines) by
      using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and the width
      value.

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
        sisterscape and Jody,

        The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
        http://snipurl.com/fd0f
        That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
        http://snipurl.com/fd0i

        ????????
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
          Hi loro & sisterscape,

          >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
          >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
          >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
          >http://snipurl.com/fd0i

          If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
          saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
          You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
          format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
          are what corrupts the line endings.

          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
            Thanks to both Jody and Lotta for your expertise and generosity in
            sharing. I've learned a lot in the process.

            The info below is very useful as are the links to
            http://www.rexswain.com/ You (and NoteTab) are the best!

            Sister

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
              Until this ordeal, I'd never given a second thought to line endings and
              OS compaibility. So much to learn . . . At least the site is
              validating now so I can start thinking about putting the rest of it
              together. Cheers. Sister

              --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

              > Hi loro & sisterscape,
              >
              > >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
              > >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
              > >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
              > >http://snipurl.com/fd0i
              >
              > If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
              > saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
              > You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
              > format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
              > are what corrupts the line endings.
              >

              > Happy HTML'n!
              > Jody
              >
              > http://www.notetab.net
              > http://www.clean-funnies.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 11, 2005
                Just for reference here's a follow-up. . .

                The Mac server admin did a little research and tweaking and upgraded
                his ftp server in the process. But the files were still doing weird -
                but different - things. He posted on a Mac list, as was told that if I
                upload in binary, the line breaks should remain intact. That so goes
                against instinct but it seems to work. The UNIX line breaks are
                undisturbed ftping either way and the validator isn't choking anymore.
                Go figure . . .

                sisterscape

                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/