Re: [NH] non SGML errors . . . [mystery solved]

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
      sisterscape wrote:
      >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e.
      >carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some reason, the ftp
      >isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.

      Odd. I always use Unix style line breaks, LF only, and that doesn't cause
      any problems. Or is this some kind of "special" line breaks? I hate
      confusing mysteries! ;-)

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi sisterscape,

        >> So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
        >> I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg
        >> so you can see the critters.

        Sorry, no attachments allowed.

        >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks
        >(i.e. carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some
        >reason, the ftp isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.
        >Using WS_FTP LE and yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this
        >problem with other scripts before.

        You probably knew it; just couldn't recall from memory. ;) Once I
        read it was the line endings I figured it had to do wit that, but
        was out, busy, etc... and could not get back to you. Glad it took
        awhile and you found it, because you will remember it easier next
        time around. I think some of the following features will explain
        why you did not detect the characters in NoteTab and may be useful
        to you in the future. FYI...

        If you open the file in NoteTab and place your mouse pointer
        somewhere in the edit window the Status bar will tell you what
        format it is. NoteTab can save to different formats via Save
        Format in Options | Documents | Format | Saves as (global) and
        right click on file tabs for the individual file.

        Menu commands...

        Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks
        Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac files)
        that do not display lines with standard carriage return + line
        feed characters.

        File | Export...
        Saves the text selection or the active document in a different
        format: ASCII/ANSI, DOS, UNIX, EBCDIC, or Mac. Using this command
        on an Outline document will produce a normal text file from it.
        By default, headings are underlined. This setting can be turned
        off through the "Underline Headings" field in the Options dialog
        box on the Outline tab.

        Clip commands and functions...

        StrAsciiToAnsi
        ^$StrAsciiToAnsi("Str")$
        Returns Str with all extended ASCII characters converted to ANSI.

        StrFixLines
        ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)
        Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-
        formatted text is converted to Dos/Windows format).

        SaveAscii
        ^!SaveAscii FileName (added in v4.6)
        Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters) but
        saves the document using the DOS extended ASCII character set instead
        of Windows ANSI.

        Export
        ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
        ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in v4.6)
        Exports current document under specified file name. Optional
        settings are used to define output format. Use a comma or colon
        to separate multiple settings and use double quotes around the
        file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC files, you
        can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width lines) by
        using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and the width
        value.

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
          sisterscape and Jody,

          The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
          http://snipurl.com/fd0f
          That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
          http://snipurl.com/fd0i

          ????????
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
            Hi loro & sisterscape,

            >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
            >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
            >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
            >http://snipurl.com/fd0i

            If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
            saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
            You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
            format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
            are what corrupts the line endings.

            http://www.notetab.net
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
              Thanks to both Jody and Lotta for your expertise and generosity in
              sharing. I've learned a lot in the process.

              The info below is very useful as are the links to
              http://www.rexswain.com/ You (and NoteTab) are the best!

              Sister

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                Until this ordeal, I'd never given a second thought to line endings and
                OS compaibility. So much to learn . . . At least the site is
                validating now so I can start thinking about putting the rest of it
                together. Cheers. Sister

                --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                > Hi loro & sisterscape,
                >
                > >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                > >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                > >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                > >http://snipurl.com/fd0i
                >
                > If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
                > saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
                > You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
                > format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
                > are what corrupts the line endings.
                >

                > Happy HTML'n!
                > Jody
                >
                > http://www.notetab.net
                > http://www.clean-funnies.com

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 11, 2005
                  Just for reference here's a follow-up. . .

                  The Mac server admin did a little research and tweaking and upgraded
                  his ftp server in the process. But the files were still doing weird -
                  but different - things. He posted on a Mac list, as was told that if I
                  upload in binary, the line breaks should remain intact. That so goes
                  against instinct but it seems to work. The UNIX line breaks are
                  undisturbed ftping either way and the validator isn't choking anymore.
                  Go figure . . .

                  sisterscape

                  Discover Yahoo!
                  http://discover.yahoo.com/