Re: [NH] non SGML errors . . . lot's of them

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

      > sisterscape wrote:
      > >I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are
      > there
      > >just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad but
      > >they were hidden in NoteTab.
      > >
      > >But here's the kicker . . . I just checked out a test installation I
      > >did on another server. It validates perfectly with the evil
      > >characters.
      >
      >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eartherdesigns.com%2Fj
      > >ournal%2F So this makes me think it's a server configuration. Does
      > >that sound logical?
      >
      > Which are the characters?
      >
      > Anyway, THIS document is served without any character encoding from
      > the
      > server and has ISO-8859-1 in a Meta tag. The other one is served as
      > UTF-8.
      > I don't know, but if you wrote it in Notetab and used characters
      > outside
      > US-ASCII and then tried to pass it off as UTF-8 that could maybe be
      > the
      > reason. The ASCII characters are the same in UTF-8, but not other
      > ANSI
      > characters, like åäö. That's about right, I think. This stuff always
      > confuses me. :-o
      >
      > Lotta

      Thanks for the follow up. I have attached an images of one of the php
      files so you can see the funny 0s at the line breaks. The server admin
      said it was \x00 but he wasn't clear on it either.

      I did not actually write the WordPress code and most of the SGML errors
      - a whooping total of 33,513 for the entire script - came from files I
      never even opened. So the errors were transmitted without any
      interference from NoteTab.

      Yes, the encoding is charset=UTF-8, probably because of the RSS feeds
      etc.- it's all a mystery to me. The question is why can one server deal
      with it but not another?

      sisterscape

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
        So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list? Anyway,
        I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg so
        you can see the critters.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005

          > So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
          > Anyway,
          > I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg so
          > you can see the critters.
          >
          > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

          I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e.
          carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some reason, the ftp
          isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format. Using WS_FTP LE and
          yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this problem with other scripts
          before.

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
            sisterscape wrote:
            >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e.
            >carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some reason, the ftp
            >isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.

            Odd. I always use Unix style line breaks, LF only, and that doesn't cause
            any problems. Or is this some kind of "special" line breaks? I hate
            confusing mysteries! ;-)

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
              Hi sisterscape,

              >> So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
              >> I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg
              >> so you can see the critters.

              Sorry, no attachments allowed.

              >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks
              >(i.e. carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some
              >reason, the ftp isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.
              >Using WS_FTP LE and yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this
              >problem with other scripts before.

              You probably knew it; just couldn't recall from memory. ;) Once I
              read it was the line endings I figured it had to do wit that, but
              was out, busy, etc... and could not get back to you. Glad it took
              awhile and you found it, because you will remember it easier next
              time around. I think some of the following features will explain
              why you did not detect the characters in NoteTab and may be useful
              to you in the future. FYI...

              If you open the file in NoteTab and place your mouse pointer
              somewhere in the edit window the Status bar will tell you what
              format it is. NoteTab can save to different formats via Save
              Format in Options | Documents | Format | Saves as (global) and
              right click on file tabs for the individual file.

              Menu commands...

              Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks
              Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac files)
              that do not display lines with standard carriage return + line
              feed characters.

              File | Export...
              Saves the text selection or the active document in a different
              format: ASCII/ANSI, DOS, UNIX, EBCDIC, or Mac. Using this command
              on an Outline document will produce a normal text file from it.
              By default, headings are underlined. This setting can be turned
              off through the "Underline Headings" field in the Options dialog
              box on the Outline tab.

              Clip commands and functions...

              StrAsciiToAnsi
              ^$StrAsciiToAnsi("Str")$
              Returns Str with all extended ASCII characters converted to ANSI.

              StrFixLines
              ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)
              Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-
              formatted text is converted to Dos/Windows format).

              SaveAscii
              ^!SaveAscii FileName (added in v4.6)
              Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters) but
              saves the document using the DOS extended ASCII character set instead
              of Windows ANSI.

              Export
              ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
              ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in v4.6)
              Exports current document under specified file name. Optional
              settings are used to define output format. Use a comma or colon
              to separate multiple settings and use double quotes around the
              file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC files, you
              can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width lines) by
              using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and the width
              value.

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.clean-funnies.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                sisterscape and Jody,

                The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                http://snipurl.com/fd0i

                ????????
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                  Hi loro & sisterscape,

                  >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                  >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                  >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                  >http://snipurl.com/fd0i

                  If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
                  saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
                  You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
                  format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
                  are what corrupts the line endings.

                  http://www.notetab.net
                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                    Thanks to both Jody and Lotta for your expertise and generosity in
                    sharing. I've learned a lot in the process.

                    The info below is very useful as are the links to
                    http://www.rexswain.com/ You (and NoteTab) are the best!

                    Sister

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Until this ordeal, I'd never given a second thought to line endings and
                      OS compaibility. So much to learn . . . At least the site is
                      validating now so I can start thinking about putting the rest of it
                      together. Cheers. Sister

                      --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                      > Hi loro & sisterscape,
                      >
                      > >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                      > >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                      > >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                      > >http://snipurl.com/fd0i
                      >
                      > If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
                      > saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
                      > You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
                      > format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
                      > are what corrupts the line endings.
                      >

                      > Happy HTML'n!
                      > Jody
                      >
                      > http://www.notetab.net
                      > http://www.clean-funnies.com

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • sisterscape
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 11, 2005
                        Just for reference here's a follow-up. . .

                        The Mac server admin did a little research and tweaking and upgraded
                        his ftp server in the process. But the files were still doing weird -
                        but different - things. He posted on a Mac list, as was told that if I
                        upload in binary, the line breaks should remain intact. That so goes
                        against instinct but it seems to work. The UNIX line breaks are
                        undisturbed ftping either way and the validator isn't choking anymore.
                        Go figure . . .

                        sisterscape

                        Discover Yahoo!
                        http://discover.yahoo.com/