Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NH] non SGML errors . . . lot's of them

Expand Messages
  • loro
    sisterscape wrote ... No, it s I that am dense. I was tired and didn t explain properly. I have added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options | Programs | HTML
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      sisterscape wrote
      > Sorry to say, your
      >suggestion 'I used the Edit button in IE to get it into NoteTab.' makes
      >absolutely no sense to me. Apologies for being so dense . . . but
      >could you explain a bit more? I really need to get a handle on this.

      No, it's I that am dense. I was tired and didn't explain properly. I have
      added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options | Programs | HTML Editor. That
      is, it comes up when I use Edit, not View Source. When I first posted I
      didn't think about that I had used the Edit button to get your code. For
      some reason the file sometimes comes up as partly binary when I do and I
      have no idea why that is so. If I download the same file with some other
      method I don't get the binary warning.

      So I don't know. Maybe you could select the "illegal" space and just do a
      Find and Replace. Can't check since the oddities are gone now. Did you
      copy-paste from Word or some other Office program or did WordPress put them in?

      Lotta
    • Jody
      Hi loro & sisterscape, Just a short comment - long version below. If NoteTab sees binary characters it will mark the opened file as read-only. In this case, it
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi loro & sisterscape,

        Just a short comment - long version below. If NoteTab sees binary
        characters it will mark the opened file as read-only. In this
        case, it would probably be safe to click on Document and uncheck
        Read-only if it is checked. Then do your replacements.

        >> suggestion 'I used the Edit button in IE to get it into
        >> NoteTab.' makes absolutely no sense to me. Apologies for being
        >> so dense . . . but could you explain a bit more? I really need
        >> to get a handle on this.
        >
        >No, it's I that am dense. I was tired and didn't explain
        >properly. I have added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options |
        >Programs | HTML Editor. That is, it comes up when I use Edit, not
        >View Source. When I first posted I didn't think about that I had
        >used the Edit button to get your code. For some reason the file
        >sometimes comes up as partly binary when I do and I have no idea
        >why that is so. If I download the same file with some other
        >method I don't get the binary warning.
        >
        >So I don't know. Maybe you could select the "illegal" space and
        >just do a Find and Replace. Can't check since the oddities are
        >gone now. Did you copy-paste from Word or some other Office
        >program or did WordPress put them in?

        Please understand what Help says (below) before making changes to
        binary documents such as *.doc, and *.exe, etc. I suggest you
        read this in full as well.

        Some servers and programs add a binary character at the end of the
        files. This is usually the case when you know they are text based
        files such as.txt and .htm. NoteTab detects the character and
        warns you that it may be a binary file like .doc, .jpg. NoteTab
        replaces the null character (binary value of no importance
        usually) with a replacement character. That assumes you have your
        binary features checked under the Files tab in Options. You can
        see the character in Options | File | Binary Replace Character.
        When NoteTab replaces it it also marks the file as read-only in
        NoteTab.

        You have a couple of options to take. One is if you know for sure
        the file is a text based file, take it out of read-only from the
        Document menu at the bottom and then Ctrl+End to get to the bottom
        of the document. This assumes that is where the binary/null
        character is and where they are normally inserted at. The NoteTab
        default replacement character is the center dot/center period. If
        you see it at the bottom, delete it and then save the file. If you
        upload to the server and then download again, and the same thing
        happens you can use the second option.

        The second option is to uncheck all the binary warnings in Options
        | Files. You can get there from the View menu. There are three
        binary options to be concerned with. Actually, you can leave the
        warnings there if you don't mind the error message every time you
        open one of these files. If you turn off all three, then just
        remember that you did so and do not try to edit true binary files
        like .doc (MS Word) files - you will surely corrupt them.

        The following is from Help (under the File tab in Options).

        Filter Binary Codes:
        By default, if you try to load a file that contains null
        characters (a character with a decimal value of 0), NoteTab will
        treat the first occurring null as the end of the file. This
        option lets you override this behavior by allowing NoteTab to
        substitute null characters with another character – defined in
        the "Substitute Binary Character" field. When set, you can load
        the full content of any type of file (including binaries).

        Important: saving files which have had characters substituted
        will not restore the control character! This option slows the
        loading of large files, so do not set it if you use only true
        text files.

        Warn Partial Loading:
        Warns if a file has only been partially loaded due to the
        presence of null characters. This option has no effect if "Filter
        Binary Codes" is set.

        Warn Binaries Substituted:
        Displays a warning message if binary characters have been
        substituted in the loaded document.

        Happy HTML'n!
        Jody

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
      • sisterscape
        I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are there just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad but they were hidden in
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are there
          just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad but
          they were hidden in NoteTab.

          But here's the kicker . . . I just checked out a test installation I
          did on another server. It validates perfectly with the evil
          characters.
          http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eartherdesigns.com%2Fj
          ournal%2F So this makes me think it's a server configuration. Does
          that sound logical?

          Thanks for all your input.

          --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > sisterscape wrote
          > > Sorry to say, your
          > >suggestion 'I used the Edit button in IE to get it into NoteTab.'
          > makes
          > >absolutely no sense to me. Apologies for being so dense . . . but
          > >could you explain a bit more? I really need to get a handle on
          > this.
          >
          > No, it's I that am dense. I was tired and didn't explain properly. I
          > have
          > added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options | Programs | HTML Editor.
          > That
          > is, it comes up when I use Edit, not View Source. When I first posted
          > I
          > didn't think about that I had used the Edit button to get your code.
          > For
          > some reason the file sometimes comes up as partly binary when I do
          > and I
          > have no idea why that is so. If I download the same file with some
          > other
          > method I don't get the binary warning.
          >
          > So I don't know. Maybe you could select the "illegal" space and just
          > do a
          > Find and Replace. Can't check since the oddities are gone now. Did
          > you
          > copy-paste from Word or some other Office program or did WordPress
          > put them in?
          >
          > Lotta
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • sisterscape
          Thanks for the suggestion Jody. The problem is that NoteTab isn t seeing them! I have been wroking with the files as usual and wasn t aware anything was amiss
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks for the suggestion Jody. The problem is that NoteTab isn't
            seeing them! I have been wroking with the files as usual and wasn't
            aware anything was amiss until I tried validation.

            Bit as I responded earlier. An install on another server - same
            template, same files validated without a problem. That makes me think
            it's a server configuration issue - Mac vs PC RedHat.

            Any suggestions on that front?

            sisterscape

            --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

            > Hi loro & sisterscape,
            >
            > Just a short comment - long version below. If NoteTab sees binary
            > characters it will mark the opened file as read-only. In this
            > case, it would probably be safe to click on Document and uncheck
            > Read-only if it is checked. Then do your replacements.
            >
            > >> suggestion 'I used the Edit button in IE to get it into
            > >> NoteTab.' makes absolutely no sense to me. Apologies for being
            > >> so dense . . . but could you explain a bit more? I really need
            > >> to get a handle on this.
            > >
            > >No, it's I that am dense. I was tired and didn't explain
            > >properly. I have added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options |
            > >Programs | HTML Editor. That is, it comes up when I use Edit, not
            > >View Source. When I first posted I didn't think about that I had
            > >used the Edit button to get your code. For some reason the file
            > >sometimes comes up as partly binary when I do and I have no idea
            > >why that is so. If I download the same file with some other
            > >method I don't get the binary warning.
            > >
            > >So I don't know. Maybe you could select the "illegal" space and
            > >just do a Find and Replace. Can't check since the oddities are
            > >gone now. Did you copy-paste from Word or some other Office
            > >program or did WordPress put them in?
            >
            > Please understand what Help says (below) before making changes to
            > binary documents such as *.doc, and *.exe, etc. I suggest you
            > read this in full as well.
            >
            > Some servers and programs add a binary character at the end of the
            > files. This is usually the case when you know they are text based
            > files such as.txt and .htm. NoteTab detects the character and
            > warns you that it may be a binary file like .doc, .jpg. NoteTab
            > replaces the null character (binary value of no importance
            > usually) with a replacement character. That assumes you have your
            > binary features checked under the Files tab in Options. You can
            > see the character in Options | File | Binary Replace Character.
            > When NoteTab replaces it it also marks the file as read-only in
            > NoteTab.
            >
            > You have a couple of options to take. One is if you know for sure
            > the file is a text based file, take it out of read-only from the
            > Document menu at the bottom and then Ctrl+End to get to the bottom
            > of the document. This assumes that is where the binary/null
            > character is and where they are normally inserted at. The NoteTab
            > default replacement character is the center dot/center period. If
            > you see it at the bottom, delete it and then save the file. If you
            > upload to the server and then download again, and the same thing
            > happens you can use the second option.
            >
            > The second option is to uncheck all the binary warnings in Options
            > | Files. You can get there from the View menu. There are three
            > binary options to be concerned with. Actually, you can leave the
            > warnings there if you don't mind the error message every time you
            > open one of these files. If you turn off all three, then just
            > remember that you did so and do not try to edit true binary files
            > like .doc (MS Word) files - you will surely corrupt them.
            >
            > The following is from Help (under the File tab in Options).
            >
            > Filter Binary Codes:
            > By default, if you try to load a file that contains null
            > characters (a character with a decimal value of 0), NoteTab will
            > treat the first occurring null as the end of the file. This
            > option lets you override this behavior by allowing NoteTab to
            > substitute null characters with another character – defined in
            > the "Substitute Binary Character" field. When set, you can load
            > the full content of any type of file (including binaries).
            >
            > Important: saving files which have had characters substituted
            > will not restore the control character! This option slows the
            > loading of large files, so do not set it if you use only true
            > text files.
            >
            > Warn Partial Loading:
            > Warns if a file has only been partially loaded due to the
            > presence of null characters. This option has no effect if "Filter
            > Binary Codes" is set.
            >
            > Warn Binaries Substituted:
            > Displays a warning message if binary characters have been
            > substituted in the loaded document.
            >
            > Happy HTML'n!
            > Jody
            >
            > http://www.notetab.net
            > http://www.clean-funnies.com
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
            >
            >


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • loro
            ... Which are the characters? Anyway, THIS document is served without any character encoding from the server and has ISO-8859-1 in a Meta tag. The other one is
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              sisterscape wrote:
              >I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are there
              >just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad but
              >they were hidden in NoteTab.
              >
              >But here's the kicker . . . I just checked out a test installation I
              >did on another server. It validates perfectly with the evil
              >characters.
              >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eartherdesigns.com%2Fj
              >ournal%2F So this makes me think it's a server configuration. Does
              >that sound logical?

              Which are the characters?

              Anyway, THIS document is served without any character encoding from the
              server and has ISO-8859-1 in a Meta tag. The other one is served as UTF-8.
              I don't know, but if you wrote it in Notetab and used characters outside
              US-ASCII and then tried to pass it off as UTF-8 that could maybe be the
              reason. The ASCII characters are the same in UTF-8, but not other ANSI
              characters, like åäö. That's about right, I think. This stuff always
              confuses me. :-o

              Lotta
            • sisterscape
              ... Thanks for the follow up. I have attached an images of one of the php files so you can see the funny 0s at the line breaks. The server admin said it was
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > sisterscape wrote:
                > >I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are
                > there
                > >just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad but
                > >they were hidden in NoteTab.
                > >
                > >But here's the kicker . . . I just checked out a test installation I
                > >did on another server. It validates perfectly with the evil
                > >characters.
                >
                >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eartherdesigns.com%2Fj
                > >ournal%2F So this makes me think it's a server configuration. Does
                > >that sound logical?
                >
                > Which are the characters?
                >
                > Anyway, THIS document is served without any character encoding from
                > the
                > server and has ISO-8859-1 in a Meta tag. The other one is served as
                > UTF-8.
                > I don't know, but if you wrote it in Notetab and used characters
                > outside
                > US-ASCII and then tried to pass it off as UTF-8 that could maybe be
                > the
                > reason. The ASCII characters are the same in UTF-8, but not other
                > ANSI
                > characters, like åäö. That's about right, I think. This stuff always
                > confuses me. :-o
                >
                > Lotta
                >

                Thanks for the follow up. I have attached an images of one of the php
                files so you can see the funny 0s at the line breaks. The server admin
                said it was \x00 but he wasn't clear on it either.

                I did not actually write the WordPress code and most of the SGML errors
                - a whooping total of 33,513 for the entire script - came from files I
                never even opened. So the errors were transmitted without any
                interference from NoteTab.

                Yes, the encoding is charset=UTF-8, probably because of the RSS feeds
                etc.- it's all a mystery to me. The question is why can one server deal
                with it but not another?

                sisterscape

                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • sisterscape
                So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list? Anyway, I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg so you can see the
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list? Anyway,
                  I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg so
                  you can see the critters.

                  --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                  > --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > sisterscape wrote:
                  > > >I just did a fresh download of WordPress and the characters are
                  > > there
                  > > >just after I unzip the file. I noticed them before in Notepad
                  > but
                  > > >they were hidden in NoteTab.
                  > > >
                  > > >But here's the kicker . . . I just checked out a test installation
                  > I
                  > > >did on another server. It validates perfectly with the evil
                  > > >characters.
                  > >
                  >
                  >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eartherdesigns.com%2Fj
                  > > >ournal%2F So this makes me think it's a server configuration.
                  > Does
                  > > >that sound logical?
                  > >
                  > > Which are the characters?
                  > >
                  > > Anyway, THIS document is served without any character encoding from
                  > > the
                  > > server and has ISO-8859-1 in a Meta tag. The other one is served as
                  > > UTF-8.
                  > > I don't know, but if you wrote it in Notetab and used characters
                  > > outside
                  > > US-ASCII and then tried to pass it off as UTF-8 that could maybe be
                  > > the
                  > > reason. The ASCII characters are the same in UTF-8, but not other
                  > > ANSI
                  > > characters, like åäö. That's about right, I think. This stuff
                  > always
                  > > confuses me. :-o
                  > >
                  > > Lotta
                  > >
                  >
                  > Thanks for the follow up. I have attached an images of one of the
                  > php
                  > files so you can see the funny 0s at the line breaks. The server
                  > admin
                  > said it was \x00 but he wasn't clear on it either.
                  >
                  > I did not actually write the WordPress code and most of the SGML
                  > errors
                  > - a whooping total of 33,513 for the entire script - came from files
                  > I
                  > never even opened. So the errors were transmitted without any
                  > interference from NoteTab.
                  >
                  > Yes, the encoding is charset=UTF-8, probably because of the RSS feeds
                  > etc.- it's all a mystery to me. The question is why can one server
                  > deal
                  > with it but not another?
                  >
                  > sisterscape
                  >
                  > __________________________________________________
                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  >


                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • sisterscape
                  ... I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e. carriage returns) - why didn t I know that. For some reason, the ftp isn t converting
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                    > So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
                    > Anyway,
                    > I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg so
                    > you can see the critters.
                    >
                    > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                    >

                    I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e.
                    carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some reason, the ftp
                    isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format. Using WS_FTP LE and
                    yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this problem with other scripts
                    before.




                    __________________________________
                    Discover Yahoo!
                    Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out!
                    http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                  • loro
                    ... Odd. I always use Unix style line breaks, LF only, and that doesn t cause any problems. Or is this some kind of special line breaks? I hate confusing
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      sisterscape wrote:
                      >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks (i.e.
                      >carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some reason, the ftp
                      >isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.

                      Odd. I always use Unix style line breaks, LF only, and that doesn't cause
                      any problems. Or is this some kind of "special" line breaks? I hate
                      confusing mysteries! ;-)

                      Lotta
                    • Jody
                      Hi sisterscape, ... Sorry, no attachments allowed. ... You probably knew it; just couldn t recall from memory. ;) Once I read it was the line endings I figured
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Hi sisterscape,

                        >> So what happened to the attachment? Not allowed on this list?
                        >> I posted it here http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/images/SGML.jpg
                        >> so you can see the critters.

                        Sorry, no attachments allowed.

                        >I have learned that the problem characters are UNIX line breaks
                        >(i.e. carriage returns) - why didn't I know that. For some
                        >reason, the ftp isn't converting them to a Mac compatible format.
                        >Using WS_FTP LE and yes, I uploaded in ASCII. I've not had this
                        >problem with other scripts before.

                        You probably knew it; just couldn't recall from memory. ;) Once I
                        read it was the line endings I figured it had to do wit that, but
                        was out, busy, etc... and could not get back to you. Glad it took
                        awhile and you found it, because you will remember it easier next
                        time around. I think some of the following features will explain
                        why you did not detect the characters in NoteTab and may be useful
                        to you in the future. FYI...

                        If you open the file in NoteTab and place your mouse pointer
                        somewhere in the edit window the Status bar will tell you what
                        format it is. NoteTab can save to different formats via Save
                        Format in Options | Documents | Format | Saves as (global) and
                        right click on file tabs for the individual file.

                        Menu commands...

                        Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks
                        Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac files)
                        that do not display lines with standard carriage return + line
                        feed characters.

                        File | Export...
                        Saves the text selection or the active document in a different
                        format: ASCII/ANSI, DOS, UNIX, EBCDIC, or Mac. Using this command
                        on an Outline document will produce a normal text file from it.
                        By default, headings are underlined. This setting can be turned
                        off through the "Underline Headings" field in the Options dialog
                        box on the Outline tab.

                        Clip commands and functions...

                        StrAsciiToAnsi
                        ^$StrAsciiToAnsi("Str")$
                        Returns Str with all extended ASCII characters converted to ANSI.

                        StrFixLines
                        ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)
                        Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-
                        formatted text is converted to Dos/Windows format).

                        SaveAscii
                        ^!SaveAscii FileName (added in v4.6)
                        Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters) but
                        saves the document using the DOS extended ASCII character set instead
                        of Windows ANSI.

                        Export
                        ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
                        ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in v4.6)
                        Exports current document under specified file name. Optional
                        settings are used to define output format. Use a comma or colon
                        to separate multiple settings and use double quotes around the
                        file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC files, you
                        can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width lines) by
                        using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and the width
                        value.


                        Happy HTML'n!
                        Jody

                        http://www.notetab.net
                        http://www.clean-funnies.com
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
                      • loro
                        sisterscape and Jody, The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF. http://snipurl.com/fd0f That shouldn t be a problem, I think. And it isn t.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                        • 0 Attachment
                          sisterscape and Jody,

                          The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                          http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                          That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                          http://snipurl.com/fd0i

                          ????????
                          Lotta
                        • Jody
                          Hi loro & sisterscape, ... If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue. You
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hi loro & sisterscape,

                            >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                            >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                            >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                            >http://snipurl.com/fd0i

                            If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
                            saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
                            You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
                            format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
                            are what corrupts the line endings.


                            Happy HTML'n!
                            Jody

                            http://www.notetab.net
                            http://www.clean-funnies.com
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
                          • sisterscape
                            Thanks to both Jody and Lotta for your expertise and generosity in sharing. I ve learned a lot in the process. The info below is very useful as are the links
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Thanks to both Jody and Lotta for your expertise and generosity in
                              sharing. I've learned a lot in the process.

                              The info below is very useful as are the links to
                              http://www.rexswain.com/ You (and NoteTab) are the best!

                              Sister

                              --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                              > Hi sisterscape,
                              >
                              > If you open the file in NoteTab and place your mouse pointer
                              > somewhere in the edit window the Status bar will tell you what
                              > format it is. NoteTab can save to different formats via Save
                              > Format in Options | Documents | Format | Saves as (global) and
                              > right click on file tabs for the individual file.
                              >
                              > Menu commands...
                              >
                              > Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks
                              > Use this command on documents (for example UNIX or Mac files)
                              > that do not display lines with standard carriage return + line
                              > feed characters.
                              >
                              > File | Export...
                              > Saves the text selection or the active document in a different
                              > format: ASCII/ANSI, DOS, UNIX, EBCDIC, or Mac. Using this command
                              > on an Outline document will produce a normal text file from it.
                              > By default, headings are underlined. This setting can be turned
                              > off through the "Underline Headings" field in the Options dialog
                              > box on the Outline tab.
                              >
                              > Clip commands and functions...
                              >
                              > StrAsciiToAnsi
                              > ^$StrAsciiToAnsi("Str")$
                              > Returns Str with all extended ASCII characters converted to ANSI.
                              >
                              > StrFixLines
                              > ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)
                              > Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-
                              > formatted text is converted to Dos/Windows format).
                              >
                              > SaveAscii
                              > ^!SaveAscii FileName (added in v4.6)
                              > Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters) but
                              > saves the document using the DOS extended ASCII character set instead
                              > of Windows ANSI.
                              >
                              > Export
                              > ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
                              > ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in
                              > v4.6)
                              > Exports current document under specified file name. Optional
                              > settings are used to define output format. Use a comma or colon
                              > to separate multiple settings and use double quotes around the
                              > file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC files, you
                              > can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width lines) by
                              > using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and the width
                              > value.
                              >
                              >
                              > Happy HTML'n!
                              > Jody
                              >
                              > http://www.notetab.net
                              > http://www.clean-funnies.com
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
                              >
                              >


                              __________________________________________________
                              Do You Yahoo!?
                              Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • sisterscape
                              Until this ordeal, I d never given a second thought to line endings and OS compaibility. So much to learn . . . At least the site is validating now so I can
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Until this ordeal, I'd never given a second thought to line endings and
                                OS compaibility. So much to learn . . . At least the site is
                                validating now so I can start thinking about putting the rest of it
                                together. Cheers. Sister

                                --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                                > Hi loro & sisterscape,
                                >
                                > >The document now contains a mix of Windows CR/LF and Unix LF.
                                > >http://snipurl.com/fd0f
                                > >That shouldn't be a problem, I think. And it isn't.
                                > >http://snipurl.com/fd0i
                                >
                                > If it is, see my previous message with the different settings for
                                > saving formats. It should correct the mixed line ending issue.
                                > You might use the fix line ending features, then save as the
                                > format you want. Note, some FTP clients, servers, programs, etc.
                                > are what corrupts the line endings.
                                >
                                >
                                > Happy HTML'n!
                                > Jody
                                >
                                > http://www.notetab.net
                                > http://www.clean-funnies.com
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html
                                >
                                >


                                __________________________________________________
                                Do You Yahoo!?
                                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • sisterscape
                                Just for reference here s a follow-up. . . The Mac server admin did a little research and tweaking and upgraded his ftp server in the process. But the files
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 11, 2005
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Just for reference here's a follow-up. . .

                                  The Mac server admin did a little research and tweaking and upgraded
                                  his ftp server in the process. But the files were still doing weird -
                                  but different - things. He posted on a Mac list, as was told that if I
                                  upload in binary, the line breaks should remain intact. That so goes
                                  against instinct but it seems to work. The UNIX line breaks are
                                  undisturbed ftping either way and the validator isn't choking anymore.
                                  Go figure . . .

                                  sisterscape



                                  __________________________________
                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.