Re: [NH] Javascript for Search Site

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
      Jody,

      Wow, I had forgot about this one ...

      You will need to login to your account on the Web server using a telnet
      program. Then change directories to get to the one that contains the files
      you uploaded. Type in "perl setup.pl" (without the quotes) to run the
      set-up utility. Just answer the questions, it's really not that hard.

      Once you have done that, you need to run the indexer to index the files.
      You will also need to do it every time you add files you want indexed. I
      set-up a short-cut in my telnet program to take care of this. You will
      switch to the directory that you put the search program in (e.g.
      cgi-bin/perlfect/search) and enter "perl indexer.pl" (without the quotes).

      That should do it. Let me know if you have any further problems.

      Lee

      On 6/3/05 04:05 AM, Jody wrote:
      >Hi Lee,
      >
      >Well, it's been awhile... ;)
      >
      > >Also, if you can use one written in Perl, this is an excellent one:
      > >http://www.webreference.com/authoring/perlfect_search/
      >
      >Thanks! I've never worked with this before, so here's my first "dummie"
      >question. (I uploaded to my notetab.net site into the existing folder
      >cgi-bin. Am I to literally make the changes in the conf.pl like below.
      >I have what I think/guess I am suppose to put in [brackets] below in the
      >first few places; what I would put in place of what is there now...
      >If it does work right off, I'll try the javascript one you provided a
      >link for.
      >
      >OR, it appears I can use setup.pl - what do I do with it to make it run?
      >The first part of setup.pl:

    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
        Shouldn't this more appropriately be either on the off topic list or
        scripting list?
        Where's Jody when you need him? ;-P

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
          Hi Don,

          >Shouldn't this more appropriately be either on the off topic list
          >or scripting list?

          Perhaps soon, because of the direction it is going, as in: I
          cannot connect to "o ftp.motetab.net" in telnet or do I need my
          DNS number; do I need to disconnect my regular connect first? <g>

          However, remember, it is the Basic list with the strict rules and
          the others are a bit more flexible. I think I have been pretty
          flexible with all the Perl that is posted on the Clips/HTML
          lists. I believe I mentioned in the past that FTP clients, some
          use of them, was OK on this list; certainly javascript, Clips,
          and CSS is OK. Do we need to restrict those and PHP, ASP, etc. on
          this list as well? I just want a search field and button on my
          HTML page. <g> This is an excerpt from the long discussion
          mailing list post that I make a few times a month; that most old
          timers, or perhaps most in general do not read.

          + WHICH LIST to post on???

          Clips or Scripts list for them.

          are for discussion of those programs.

          >Where's Jody when you need him? ;-P

          Too busy telling others where to post to have time to figure it
          out for myself. Take your pick: ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ)~~~~ ò¿ó¬ ;) <g> :-) 8D

          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.clean-funnies.com