Re: [NH] Opening for Edit in FireFox

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2005
      Fay,

      > downloaded new version, which proved to be corrupt. Lots of fun!

      Merde!

      > I'd also like to know how to tell it not to keep a cache of pages I visit.
      > Scared the life out of me when a page I'd just uploaded showed no changes.
      > I've always had IE set to empty on exit, but in FF can only find how to do
      > it manually. (Yup, I know I should hit the reload button, but I'm dead
      > lazy.)

      Strange -- my FF works just fine regarding cached files. It's my IE that
      sometimes shows me outdated pages.

      Here's a hint I found:

      * Open the page "about:config"
      * Filter for "cache"
      * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
      * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)

      Values:
      0 - check once per session
      1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
      2 - don't check
      3 - automatic (whatever that means)

      HTH,
      Rudi
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2005
        > * Open the page "about:config"
        > * Filter for "cache"
        > * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
        > * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)
        >
        > Values:
        > 0 - check once per session
        > 1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
        > 2 - don't check
        > 3 - automatic (whatever that means)
        >
        > HTH,
        > Rudi

        It certainly does help, and I'm grateful. FF's a much nicer browser in lots
        of ways--security aside--and it's great that I'll be able to use it for
        browsing, rather than just to see how my code should be rendered. IE says
        that things are right when they're not, which is of NO help to beginners.

        Fay
      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2005
          Hi Fay and Rudi,

          Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
          NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
          suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
          need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
          the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
          downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).

          How do I install the extension?

          Thanks for the help.

          Ray Shapp
        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 12 , May 9, 2005
            Hi Ray,

            > How do I install the extension?

            Drag & drop the xpi file onto the firefox window, confirm the install
            dialog and restart Firefox -- done.

            HTH,
            Rudi
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9, 2005
              On 9/5/2005 19:15, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

              >Hi Fay and Rudi,
              >
              >Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
              >NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
              >suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
              >need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
              >the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
              >downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).
              >
              >How do I install the extension?

              Try dragging & dropping the XPI file on the Firefox window. Usually
              works for me.

              MCBastos

              -=-=-
              ... If you can't make it good, make it big.
              * TagZilla 0.057
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2005
                Ray:

                If you clicked on the link to install directly it will do so unless you've
                downloaded from a previously unused location - if so you'll get a chance to
                accept that location.

                If you've downloaded it to your harddisk (it sounds like you have) either
                use File-Open file (shortcut Ctrl+O) or drag and drop from Windows Explorer
                onto the Firefox window.

                Regards ... Alec
                --
                ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                > Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about
                > viewing HTML code in
                > NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing.
                > Using Rudi's
                > suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi
                > extension, but now I
                > need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions
                > an "install link" on
                > the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about
                > installing an extension
                > downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT
                > disabled).
                >
                > How do I install the extension?
                >
                > Thanks for the help.
                >
                > Ray Shapp
                >

                > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

              • R Shapp
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10, 2005
                  Hi Marcello, Rudi and Alec,

                  Thanks for the replies. For some reason, using the File > Open File... menu
                  item didn't work the other day when I tried it. Following your suggestions,
                  however, Drag and Drop worked fine. BTW, I had to checkmark "Allow websites
                  to install software". I did so to allow the installation of the XPI file,
                  then I un-checkmarked the option as a security precaution.

                  Thank you for your help. I can now more easily edit HTML code in NTP, my
                  favorite application.

                  Ray Shapp