Re: [NH] Opening for Edit in FireFox

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2005
      Thank you kindly, John.

      > Yuppers, you sure can do that Fay..
      >
      > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto the one called
      VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab. Works like a charm.

      > John
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2005
        > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto
        > the one called VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab.

        Provided that she has it installed:
        http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/

        Rudi
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2005
          > > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto
          > > the one called VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab.
          >
          > Provided that she has it installed:
          > http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
          >
          > Rudi

          Thanks for pointing that out, Rudi,
          As it was, knowing I needed the extension was only the start. I went for the
          extension, found it, found that my version of FF is ever-so-slightly out of
          date, downloaded new version, which proved to be corrupt. Lots of fun! Never
          mind, good learning experience.
          I'll wait a couple of days and try again.

          I'd also like to know how to tell it not to keep a cache of pages I visit.
          Scared the life out of me when a page I'd just uploaded showed no changes.
          I've always had IE set to empty on exit, but in FF can only find how to do
          it manually. (Yup, I know I should hit the reload button, but I'm dead
          lazy.)

          Fay
        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2005
            Fay,

            > downloaded new version, which proved to be corrupt. Lots of fun!

            Merde!

            > I'd also like to know how to tell it not to keep a cache of pages I visit.
            > Scared the life out of me when a page I'd just uploaded showed no changes.
            > I've always had IE set to empty on exit, but in FF can only find how to do
            > it manually. (Yup, I know I should hit the reload button, but I'm dead
            > lazy.)

            Strange -- my FF works just fine regarding cached files. It's my IE that
            sometimes shows me outdated pages.

            Here's a hint I found:

            * Open the page "about:config"
            * Filter for "cache"
            * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
            * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)

            Values:
            0 - check once per session
            1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
            2 - don't check
            3 - automatic (whatever that means)

            HTH,
            Rudi
          • Fay
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2005
              > * Open the page "about:config"
              > * Filter for "cache"
              > * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
              > * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)
              >
              > Values:
              > 0 - check once per session
              > 1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
              > 2 - don't check
              > 3 - automatic (whatever that means)
              >
              > HTH,
              > Rudi

              It certainly does help, and I'm grateful. FF's a much nicer browser in lots
              of ways--security aside--and it's great that I'll be able to use it for
              browsing, rather than just to see how my code should be rendered. IE says
              that things are right when they're not, which is of NO help to beginners.

              Fay
            • R Shapp
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2005
                Hi Fay and Rudi,

                Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
                NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
                suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
                need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
                the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
                downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).

                How do I install the extension?

                Thanks for the help.

                Ray Shapp
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2005
                  Hi Ray,

                  > How do I install the extension?

                  Drag & drop the xpi file onto the firefox window, confirm the install
                  dialog and restart Firefox -- done.

                  HTH,
                  Rudi
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9, 2005
                    On 9/5/2005 19:15, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                    >Hi Fay and Rudi,
                    >
                    >Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
                    >NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
                    >suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
                    >need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
                    >the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
                    >downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).
                    >
                    >How do I install the extension?

                    Try dragging & dropping the XPI file on the Firefox window. Usually
                    works for me.

                    MCBastos

                    -=-=-
                    ... If you can't make it good, make it big.
                    * TagZilla 0.057
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2005
                      Ray:

                      If you clicked on the link to install directly it will do so unless you've
                      downloaded from a previously unused location - if so you'll get a chance to
                      accept that location.

                      If you've downloaded it to your harddisk (it sounds like you have) either
                      use File-Open file (shortcut Ctrl+O) or drag and drop from Windows Explorer
                      onto the Firefox window.

                      Regards ... Alec
                      --
                      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                      > Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about
                      > viewing HTML code in
                      > NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing.
                      > Using Rudi's
                      > suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi
                      > extension, but now I
                      > need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions
                      > an "install link" on
                      > the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about
                      > installing an extension
                      > downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT
                      > disabled).
                      >
                      > How do I install the extension?
                      >
                      > Thanks for the help.
                      >
                      > Ray Shapp
                      >

                      > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

                    • R Shapp
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10, 2005
                        Hi Marcello, Rudi and Alec,

                        Thanks for the replies. For some reason, using the File > Open File... menu
                        item didn't work the other day when I tried it. Following your suggestions,
                        however, Drag and Drop worked fine. BTW, I had to checkmark "Allow websites
                        to install software". I did so to allow the installation of the XPI file,
                        then I un-checkmarked the option as a security precaution.

                        Thank you for your help. I can now more easily edit HTML code in NTP, my
                        favorite application.

                        Ray Shapp