Re: [NH] Opening for Edit in FireFox

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 7:07 PM
      Yuppers, you sure can do that Fay..

      In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto the one called VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab. Works like a charm.

      John

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:

      > With IE I go to NoteTab both when I right click and choose "edit" and when I
      > go "View > Source" on an open web page.
      >
      > When I set Firefox as my default browser, I view the source in FF's own
      > source viewer thingy, and my "edit with Notetab" seems to be disregarded. I
      > get a notice about editor.xul.
      >
      > Is there a way out of this, or do I have to use IE if I want to pop in and
      > out of my files quickly and easily?
      >

      > Fay.

    • Fay
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3 7:26 PM
        Thank you kindly, John.

        > Yuppers, you sure can do that Fay..
        >
        > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto the one called
        VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab. Works like a charm.

        > John
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4 12:49 AM
          > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto
          > the one called VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab.

          Provided that she has it installed:
          http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/

          Rudi
        • Fay
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4 1:02 AM
            > > In Firefox just go to TOOLS/EXTENSIONS and latch onto
            > > the one called VIEWSOURCEWITH then point it towards NoteTab.
            >
            > Provided that she has it installed:
            > http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/
            >
            > Rudi

            Thanks for pointing that out, Rudi,
            As it was, knowing I needed the extension was only the start. I went for the
            extension, found it, found that my version of FF is ever-so-slightly out of
            date, downloaded new version, which proved to be corrupt. Lots of fun! Never
            mind, good learning experience.
            I'll wait a couple of days and try again.

            I'd also like to know how to tell it not to keep a cache of pages I visit.
            Scared the life out of me when a page I'd just uploaded showed no changes.
            I've always had IE set to empty on exit, but in FF can only find how to do
            it manually. (Yup, I know I should hit the reload button, but I'm dead
            lazy.)

            Fay
          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4 1:15 AM
              Fay,

              > downloaded new version, which proved to be corrupt. Lots of fun!

              Merde!

              > I'd also like to know how to tell it not to keep a cache of pages I visit.
              > Scared the life out of me when a page I'd just uploaded showed no changes.
              > I've always had IE set to empty on exit, but in FF can only find how to do
              > it manually. (Yup, I know I should hit the reload button, but I'm dead
              > lazy.)

              Strange -- my FF works just fine regarding cached files. It's my IE that
              sometimes shows me outdated pages.

              Here's a hint I found:

              * Open the page "about:config"
              * Filter for "cache"
              * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
              * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)

              Values:
              0 - check once per session
              1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
              2 - don't check
              3 - automatic (whatever that means)

              HTH,
              Rudi
            • Fay
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4 1:33 AM
                > * Open the page "about:config"
                > * Filter for "cache"
                > * double click on "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
                > * change integer value to 1 (if not already 1)
                >
                > Values:
                > 0 - check once per session
                > 1 - check everytime the page is loadedSeite (empfehlenswert)
                > 2 - don't check
                > 3 - automatic (whatever that means)
                >
                > HTH,
                > Rudi

                It certainly does help, and I'm grateful. FF's a much nicer browser in lots
                of ways--security aside--and it's great that I'll be able to use it for
                browsing, rather than just to see how my code should be rendered. IE says
                that things are right when they're not, which is of NO help to beginners.

                Fay
              • R Shapp
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9 3:15 PM
                  Hi Fay and Rudi,

                  Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
                  NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
                  suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
                  need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
                  the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
                  downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).

                  How do I install the extension?

                  Thanks for the help.

                  Ray Shapp
                • Rudolf Horbas
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9 3:28 PM
                    Hi Ray,

                    > How do I install the extension?

                    Drag & drop the xpi file onto the firefox window, confirm the install
                    dialog and restart Firefox -- done.

                    HTH,
                    Rudi
                  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9 3:31 PM
                      On 9/5/2005 19:15, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                      >Hi Fay and Rudi,
                      >
                      >Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about viewing HTML code in
                      >NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing. Using Rudi's
                      >suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi extension, but now I
                      >need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions an "install link" on
                      >the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about installing an extension
                      >downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT disabled).
                      >
                      >How do I install the extension?

                      Try dragging & dropping the XPI file on the Firefox window. Usually
                      works for me.

                      MCBastos

                      -=-=-
                      ... If you can't make it good, make it big.
                      * TagZilla 0.057
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9 4:02 PM
                        Ray:

                        If you clicked on the link to install directly it will do so unless you've
                        downloaded from a previously unused location - if so you'll get a chance to
                        accept that location.

                        If you've downloaded it to your harddisk (it sounds like you have) either
                        use File-Open file (shortcut Ctrl+O) or drag and drop from Windows Explorer
                        onto the Firefox window.

                        Regards ... Alec
                        --
                        ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                        > Thanks, Fay, for asking the original question about
                        > viewing HTML code in
                        > NoteTab when using FireFox. I want to do the same thing.
                        > Using Rudi's
                        > suggestion, I downloaded the viewsourcewith-0.0.6.xpi
                        > extension, but now I
                        > need to know how to load it into FireFox. Help mentions
                        > an "install link" on
                        > the Mozilla Update site, but it is silent about
                        > installing an extension
                        > downloaded from some other place (BTW, JavaScript is NOT
                        > disabled).
                        >
                        > How do I install the extension?
                        >
                        > Thanks for the help.
                        >
                        > Ray Shapp
                        >

                        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

                      • R Shapp
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10 7:45 PM
                          Hi Marcello, Rudi and Alec,

                          Thanks for the replies. For some reason, using the File > Open File... menu
                          item didn't work the other day when I tried it. Following your suggestions,
                          however, Drag and Drop worked fine. BTW, I had to checkmark "Allow websites
                          to install software". I did so to allow the installation of the XPI file,
                          then I un-checkmarked the option as a security precaution.

                          Thank you for your help. I can now more easily edit HTML code in NTP, my
                          favorite application.

                          Ray Shapp