Re: [NH] Avoid nasty sites, ads etc (was Search Site)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
      Hi Fay and Others,

      >I see no ads in Google at all. In Internet Explorer, the Google
      >Toolbar helps with this.
      >However, I suppose that unwanted sites could inadvertently be
      >presented in results from time to time. Not very pleasant!
      >If you go to this address
      >http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23332&fileidx=1
      >you can download ie_spyad, a registry fix which will insert a
      >huge list of bad sites into your registry and therefore into the
      >restricted zone of Internet Explorer.
      >No changes are made when you unzip, so you can read all the notes
      >before you decide whether to run the fixes. Apart from the main
      >one, which is meant to protect your computer from spyware, there
      >is a folder called "adult", containing a file which protects you
      >from pornography.

      Thanks for the info. That would work for me, but not my visitors.
      <g> I would look into it for me, but then I wouldn't have known
      that my site had links to nasty sites. The adsponsor mode - I
      think it is called. When I noticed it happen it was one of the
      spam eMails (I suppose, did not go there <g>), because it was
      like "Hi, My Name is Jessica, 19. Husband not home!"

      Ray, it only happens (the nasty/dirty ads x-rated ads) at times
      and depending on the search criteria. I was at my clean-
      funnies.com site and typed in "blonde" without the quotes. I came
      up with the link above when searching my site and on the right
      where the ads come up (was on the web, not my site <g>). I'm
      taking it off my NoteTab page as soon as I see my FTP is back up.
      I notice a big blank area in the right though now. Perhaps I
      turned it off with one of the suggestions (?) in other replies in
      this thread - thanks again! I may have turned if off quite awhile
      ago and forget about it.

      >Have a look at it. It may make your browsing a much less
      >harrowing experience.

      Thanks again. I don't click on them - it is I don't want them on
      my site at all because of visitors. They don't look good either
      on clean-funnies.com or my Christian sites. <g> NetCaptor blocks
      out popups and unrequested links if I am at sites that have them.

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
        I understand. I just thought you were having a bad time when you did
        searches. A neighbour of mine was terribly upset by a spam which she thought
        had been sent to her personally. I've been looking at the Zoom search
        engine, but it'll only do 50 pages in the free version. I reckon you'd have
        a few more than that! <grin>

        Fay.

        Obby's Beginner Help and Family Pages
        http://fay.iniminimo.com/