Re: [NH] Javascript for Search Site

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24 11:25 PM
      Hi Jody,

      I don't understand what you mean by "x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)". Maybe I
      haven't used the search function on my own site enough times (although the
      Google search has been on it for well over a year).

      Please take a look at our home page at www.asterism.org. You will see that
      the Google search function can be used to search the whole internet, but the
      default is to search only our site. You can grab the source code from our
      Home page.

      I just exercised the search function with searches for "comet", "nebulae",
      "globular cluster", and I didn't see anything that was the least bit
      objectionable.

      I know that the regular Google tool bar which runs as a plug-in for one's
      browser has a preference that can be set for various levels of protection as
      follows:

      SafeSearch Filtering
      Google's SafeSearch blocks web pages
      containing explicit sexual content from
      appearing in search results.
      o Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)
      o Use moderate filtering (Filter explicit images only - default behavior)
      o Do not filter my search results.

      You can set these preferences if you left-click on the Google icon at the left
      end of the tool bar then click Google Links > Search Preferences.

      I wasn't aware that the setting in the regular tool bar would affect the
      search results when using the Google search form on one's own site, but maybe
      that's how it works.

      HTH

      Ray Shapp