[NH] Avoid nasty sites, ads etc (was Search Site)

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2005
      Jody,
      I see no ads in Google at all. In Internet Explorer, the Google Toolbar
      helps with this.
      However, I suppose that unwanted sites could inadvertently be presented in
      results from time to time. Not very pleasant!
      If you go to this address
      http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23332&fileidx=1
      you can download ie_spyad, a registry fix which will insert a huge list of
      bad sites into your registry and therefore into the restricted zone of
      Internet Explorer.
      No changes are made when you unzip, so you can read all the notes before you
      decide whether to run the fixes. Apart from the main one, which is meant to
      protect your computer from spyware, there is a folder called "adult",
      containing a file which protects you from pornography.
      Have a look at it. It may make your browsing a much less harrowing
      experience.

      Fay
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
        Hi Fay and Others,

        >I see no ads in Google at all. In Internet Explorer, the Google
        >Toolbar helps with this.
        >However, I suppose that unwanted sites could inadvertently be
        >presented in results from time to time. Not very pleasant!
        >If you go to this address
        >http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23332&fileidx=1
        >you can download ie_spyad, a registry fix which will insert a
        >huge list of bad sites into your registry and therefore into the
        >restricted zone of Internet Explorer.
        >No changes are made when you unzip, so you can read all the notes
        >before you decide whether to run the fixes. Apart from the main
        >one, which is meant to protect your computer from spyware, there
        >is a folder called "adult", containing a file which protects you
        >from pornography.

        Thanks for the info. That would work for me, but not my visitors.
        <g> I would look into it for me, but then I wouldn't have known
        that my site had links to nasty sites. The adsponsor mode - I
        think it is called. When I noticed it happen it was one of the
        spam eMails (I suppose, did not go there <g>), because it was
        like "Hi, My Name is Jessica, 19. Husband not home!"

        Ray, it only happens (the nasty/dirty ads x-rated ads) at times
        and depending on the search criteria. I was at my clean-
        funnies.com site and typed in "blonde" without the quotes. I came
        up with the link above when searching my site and on the right
        where the ads come up (was on the web, not my site <g>). I'm
        taking it off my NoteTab page as soon as I see my FTP is back up.
        I notice a big blank area in the right though now. Perhaps I
        turned it off with one of the suggestions (?) in other replies in
        this thread - thanks again! I may have turned if off quite awhile
        ago and forget about it.

        >Have a look at it. It may make your browsing a much less
        >harrowing experience.

        Thanks again. I don't click on them - it is I don't want them on
        my site at all because of visitors. They don't look good either
        on clean-funnies.com or my Christian sites. <g> NetCaptor blocks
        out popups and unrequested links if I am at sites that have them.

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
          I understand. I just thought you were having a bad time when you did
          searches. A neighbour of mine was terribly upset by a spam which she thought
          had been sent to her personally. I've been looking at the Zoom search
          engine, but it'll only do 50 pages in the free version. I reckon you'd have
          a few more than that! <grin>

          Fay.

          Obby's Beginner Help and Family Pages
          http://fay.iniminimo.com/