Re: [NH] Javascript for Search Site

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24 3:13 PM
      Jody wrote:

      >Hi Ray,
      >
      >I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
      >that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I
      >just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
      >free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
      >it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
      >www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
      >sites.)
      >

      >>Hi Jody,
      >>
      >>Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example
      >>of it at work on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at
      >>www.asterism.org.
      >>
      >>It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the
      >>hosting site.

      I use FreeFind, it only requires a link back on the website, but the
      search results page has "subdued" ads. The paid version has no ads.

      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

      "The past remains, reminding us that we are humanity - and are inspired to greatness."

      S250 DNA Project
      Crawley DNA Project
      Montgomery County Indiana USGenWeb site

      USGWP-CC mailing list
      USGWP-CC@...

    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24 11:25 PM
        Hi Jody,

        I don't understand what you mean by "x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)". Maybe I
        haven't used the search function on my own site enough times (although the
        Google search has been on it for well over a year).

        Please take a look at our home page at www.asterism.org. You will see that
        the Google search function can be used to search the whole internet, but the
        default is to search only our site. You can grab the source code from our
        Home page.

        I just exercised the search function with searches for "comet", "nebulae",
        "globular cluster", and I didn't see anything that was the least bit
        objectionable.

        I know that the regular Google tool bar which runs as a plug-in for one's
        browser has a preference that can be set for various levels of protection as
        follows:

        SafeSearch Filtering
        Google's SafeSearch blocks web pages
        containing explicit sexual content from
        appearing in search results.
        o Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)
        o Use moderate filtering (Filter explicit images only - default behavior)
        o Do not filter my search results.

        You can set these preferences if you left-click on the Google icon at the left
        end of the tool bar then click Google Links > Search Preferences.

        I wasn't aware that the setting in the regular tool bar would affect the
        search results when using the Google search form on one's own site, but maybe
        that's how it works.

        HTH

        Ray Shapp