Re: [NH] Javascript for Search Site

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
      Hi Ray,

      I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
      that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I
      just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
      free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
      it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
      www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
      sites.)

      >Hi Jody,
      >
      >Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example
      >of it at work on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at
      >www.asterism.org.
      >
      >It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the
      >hosting site.

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • Jason W.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
        On 4/24/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
        > that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I

        Were you using the Free Search or the Adsense Search? Adsense will put
        ads on your site IIRC but the Free search won't..

        Here's the link if you'd like to take a look:
        http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

        Regardless, have you contacted Google about the offending ads? I'd
        think they'd be able to filter out the questionable ones for your
        site. That's the feeling I get from reading about AdSense.

        > just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
        > free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
        > it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
        > www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
        > sites.)

        I've not seen a Javascript-based search engine. Most of them are
        server-based. I've heard of ht::/Dig (Not sure I have the punctuation
        right) and Namazu that are server-based.

        Atomz Search (http://www.atomz.com/applications/search/) might be of
        help but I'm not sure if it's still free anymore.

        --
        HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

        Jason

        EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

        On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
        Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
        was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.
      • Jeffery Scism
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
          Jody wrote:

          >Hi Ray,
          >
          >I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
          >that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I
          >just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
          >free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
          >it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
          >www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
          >sites.)
          >

          >>Hi Jody,
          >>
          >>Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example
          >>of it at work on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at
          >>www.asterism.org.
          >>
          >>It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the
          >>hosting site.

          I use FreeFind, it only requires a link back on the website, but the
          search results page has "subdued" ads. The paid version has no ads.

          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

          "The past remains, reminding us that we are humanity - and are inspired to greatness."

          S250 DNA Project
          Crawley DNA Project
          Montgomery County Indiana USGenWeb site

          USGWP-CC mailing list
          USGWP-CC@...

        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
            Hi Jody,

            I don't understand what you mean by "x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)". Maybe I
            haven't used the search function on my own site enough times (although the
            Google search has been on it for well over a year).

            Please take a look at our home page at www.asterism.org. You will see that
            the Google search function can be used to search the whole internet, but the
            default is to search only our site. You can grab the source code from our
            Home page.

            I just exercised the search function with searches for "comet", "nebulae",
            "globular cluster", and I didn't see anything that was the least bit
            objectionable.

            I know that the regular Google tool bar which runs as a plug-in for one's
            browser has a preference that can be set for various levels of protection as
            follows:

            SafeSearch Filtering
            Google's SafeSearch blocks web pages
            containing explicit sexual content from
            appearing in search results.
            o Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)
            o Use moderate filtering (Filter explicit images only - default behavior)
            o Do not filter my search results.

            You can set these preferences if you left-click on the Google icon at the left
            end of the tool bar then click Google Links > Search Preferences.

            I wasn't aware that the setting in the regular tool bar would affect the
            search results when using the Google search form on one's own site, but maybe
            that's how it works.

            HTH

            Ray Shapp