Re: [NH] Javascript for Search Site

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
      Hi Jody,

      Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example of it at work
      on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at www.asterism.org.

      It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the hosting site.

      HTH

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
        Hi Ray,

        I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
        that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I
        just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
        free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
        it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
        www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
        sites.)

        >Hi Jody,
        >
        >Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example
        >of it at work on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at
        >www.asterism.org.
        >
        >It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the
        >hosting site.

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
      • Jason W.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
          On 4/24/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ray,
          >
          > I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
          > that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I

          Were you using the Free Search or the Adsense Search? Adsense will put
          ads on your site IIRC but the Free search won't..

          Here's the link if you'd like to take a look:
          http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

          Regardless, have you contacted Google about the offending ads? I'd
          think they'd be able to filter out the questionable ones for your
          site. That's the feeling I get from reading about AdSense.

          > just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
          > free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
          > it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
          > www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
          > sites.)

          I've not seen a Javascript-based search engine. Most of them are
          server-based. I've heard of ht::/Dig (Not sure I have the punctuation
          right) and Namazu that are server-based.

          Atomz Search (http://www.atomz.com/applications/search/) might be of
          help but I'm not sure if it's still free anymore.

          --
          HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

          Jason

          EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

          On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
          Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
          was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
            Jody wrote:

            >Hi Ray,
            >
            >I tried Google's. I won't have the x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)
            >that I saw come up on my pages; thanks for suggesting though. I
            >just thought somebody might have one ready available that is ad
            >free. If nothing is suggested in a couple days, I'll search for
            >it at one of the freebie places. ;) (I did have a Google search
            >www/site setup at one time. I hope it is removed on all my
            >sites.)
            >

            >>Hi Jody,
            >>
            >>Have you investigated Google's site search form? See an example
            >>of it at work on the Home page of Amateur Astronomers, Inc at
            >>www.asterism.org.
            >>
            >>It doesn't use JavaScript but it does allow searching of the
            >>hosting site.

            I use FreeFind, it only requires a link back on the website, but the
            search results page has "subdued" ads. The paid version has no ads.

            --
            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

            "The past remains, reminding us that we are humanity - and are inspired to greatness."

            S250 DNA Project
            Crawley DNA Project
            Montgomery County Indiana USGenWeb site

            USGWP-CC mailing list
            USGWP-CC@...

          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24, 2005
              Hi Jody,

              I don't understand what you mean by "x-rated ads (Sponsored Links)". Maybe I
              haven't used the search function on my own site enough times (although the
              Google search has been on it for well over a year).

              Please take a look at our home page at www.asterism.org. You will see that
              the Google search function can be used to search the whole internet, but the
              default is to search only our site. You can grab the source code from our
              Home page.

              I just exercised the search function with searches for "comet", "nebulae",
              "globular cluster", and I didn't see anything that was the least bit
              objectionable.

              I know that the regular Google tool bar which runs as a plug-in for one's
              browser has a preference that can be set for various levels of protection as
              follows:

              SafeSearch Filtering
              Google's SafeSearch blocks web pages
              containing explicit sexual content from
              appearing in search results.
              o Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)
              o Use moderate filtering (Filter explicit images only - default behavior)
              o Do not filter my search results.

              You can set these preferences if you left-click on the Google icon at the left
              end of the tool bar then click Google Links > Search Preferences.

              I wasn't aware that the setting in the regular tool bar would affect the
              search results when using the Google search form on one's own site, but maybe
              that's how it works.

              HTH

              Ray Shapp