Javascript for Search Site

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2005
      Hi All,

      Does anybody have a not ad producing javascript to use to search an entire site?
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2005
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Does anybody have a not ad producing javascript to use to search an entire site?

        Between my Windows HOSTS file and the Proxomitron, I never see any ads anyway, so I don't know if the following will do what you want or not Jody. It's not JavaScript, just plain HTML. If you're interested the below code will let you add a Google search form field to a web page that searches a specific web site (I used NoteTab.com as an example).

        John

        <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">
        <input type="text" name="q" size="25" maxlength="255" value=""></p>

        <input type="text" name="as_epq" size="30" maxlength="255" value=""></p>
        <input type="submit" name="btnG" value="Google NoteTab"> <input type="RESET" value="Reset">

        <!-- DO NOT FILTER RESULTS -->
        <input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0">
        <!-- LANGUAGE ENGLISH -->
        <input type="hidden" name="hl" value="en">
        <!-- MAXIMUM RESULTS RETURNED -->
        <input type="hidden" name="num" value="100">
        <!-- SITE TO SEARCH -->
        <input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="http://www.notetab.com"></form>
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2005
          Jody,

          You might try this one:
          http://javascript.internet.com/miscellaneous/site-search.html

          There might be others on that site also.

          Also, if you can use one written in Perl, this is an excellent one:
          http://www.webreference.com/authoring/perlfect_search/

          Lee

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi Lee,

            Well, it's been awhile... ;)

            >Also, if you can use one written in Perl, this is an excellent one:
            >http://www.webreference.com/authoring/perlfect_search/

            Thanks! I've never worked with this before, so here's my first "dummie"
            question. (I uploaded to my notetab.net site into the existing folder
            cgi-bin. Am I to literally make the changes in the conf.pl like below.
            I have what I think/guess I am suppose to put in [brackets] below in the
            first few places; what I would put in place of what is there now...
            If it does work right off, I'll try the javascript one you provided a
            link for.

            OR, it appears I can use setup.pl - what do I do with it to make it run?
            The first part of setup.pl:

            #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            # $rcs = ' $Id: setup.pl,v 1.26 2003/02/24 15:23:44 daniel Exp $ ' ;

            # Perlfect Search - Setup Utility
            #
            # Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Giorgos Zervas <giorgos@...> and
            # Daniel Naber <daniel.naber@...>
            #

            # Perlfect Search configuration file
            #$rcs = ' $Id: conf.pl,v 1.64 2003/02/24 21:10:16 daniel Exp $ ' ;

            Start of conf.pl, I suppose to do manually...

            # NOTE: Whenever you change one of the options that's marked with [re-index]
            # you need to run indexer.pl again to make the change take effect.

            ### basic configuration
            ### You'll have to adapt these values if you didn't use setup.pl

            # Where do you want the indexer to start on your disk?
            # ** Note ** : If your files are generated dynamically (e.g. via PHP)
            # you should set $HTTP_START_URL (see below), otherwise users
            # will be able to see your pages' source code using the
            # "highlight matches" link.
            # [re-index]
            $DOCUMENT_ROOT = '/home/perlfect/perlfect.com/html/';
            '[/notetab.net/wwwroot/html/]'; <-- That's where I upload/ftp my HTML files to

            # The base url of your site (normally that's the URL which
            # corresponds to $DOCUMENT_ROOT).
            $BASE_URL = 'http://localhost';
            '[http://www.notetab.net]';
            # The url in which Perlfect Search is located (usually somewhere in cgi-bin/).
            $CGIBIN = "/cgi-bin/search/";
            "[/cgi-bin/search]";

            Thanks!
            Jody
            http://www.clean-funnies.com

            Lady: Is this my train?
            Station Master: No, it belongs to the Railway Company.
            Lady: Don't try to be funny. I mean to ask if I can take this train to Chicago.
            Station Master: No, Madam, I'm afraid it's too heavy.
          • Lee Underwood
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
              Jody,

              Wow, I had forgot about this one ...

              You will need to login to your account on the Web server using a telnet
              program. Then change directories to get to the one that contains the files
              you uploaded. Type in "perl setup.pl" (without the quotes) to run the
              set-up utility. Just answer the questions, it's really not that hard.

              Once you have done that, you need to run the indexer to index the files.
              You will also need to do it every time you add files you want indexed. I
              set-up a short-cut in my telnet program to take care of this. You will
              switch to the directory that you put the search program in (e.g.
              cgi-bin/perlfect/search) and enter "perl indexer.pl" (without the quotes).

              That should do it. Let me know if you have any further problems.

              Lee

              On 6/3/05 04:05 AM, Jody wrote:
              >Hi Lee,
              >
              >Well, it's been awhile... ;)
              >
              > >Also, if you can use one written in Perl, this is an excellent one:
              > >http://www.webreference.com/authoring/perlfect_search/
              >
              >Thanks! I've never worked with this before, so here's my first "dummie"
              >question. (I uploaded to my notetab.net site into the existing folder
              >cgi-bin. Am I to literally make the changes in the conf.pl like below.
              >I have what I think/guess I am suppose to put in [brackets] below in the
              >first few places; what I would put in place of what is there now...
              >If it does work right off, I'll try the javascript one you provided a
              >link for.
              >
              >OR, it appears I can use setup.pl - what do I do with it to make it run?
              >The first part of setup.pl:

            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
                Shouldn't this more appropriately be either on the off topic list or
                scripting list?
                Where's Jody when you need him? ;-P

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Hi Don,

                  >Shouldn't this more appropriately be either on the off topic list
                  >or scripting list?

                  Perhaps soon, because of the direction it is going, as in: I
                  cannot connect to "o ftp.motetab.net" in telnet or do I need my
                  DNS number; do I need to disconnect my regular connect first? <g>

                  However, remember, it is the Basic list with the strict rules and
                  the others are a bit more flexible. I think I have been pretty
                  flexible with all the Perl that is posted on the Clips/HTML
                  lists. I believe I mentioned in the past that FTP clients, some
                  use of them, was OK on this list; certainly javascript, Clips,
                  and CSS is OK. Do we need to restrict those and PHP, ASP, etc. on
                  this list as well? I just want a search field and button on my
                  HTML page. <g> This is an excerpt from the long discussion
                  mailing list post that I make a few times a month; that most old
                  timers, or perhaps most in general do not read.

                  + WHICH LIST to post on???

                  Clips or Scripts list for them.

                  are for discussion of those programs.

                  >Where's Jody when you need him? ;-P

                  Too busy telling others where to post to have time to figure it
                  out for myself. Take your pick: ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ)~~~~ ò¿ó¬ ;) <g> :-) 8D

                  http://www.notetab.net
                  http://www.clean-funnies.com