Re: CSS in the real world! (WAS: RE: [NH] FireFox Equivalent to Which version of Netscape)

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
      Hi Greg,

      I visited the two sites mentioned in your posting.

      The menu in http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/ is very appealing. Would you
      please show me the relevant style definitions that permit your menu to act
      like a segmented map? IOW, the words "HOME", WHAT'S NEW", etc. don't run all
      together, and they display alternate background when the cursor hovers over
      them.

      A copy of the HTML is included below so others can follow.

      I hope you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy your SeaHawk!

      Thank you for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      *********html snippet*********

      <DIV class="menu">
      <DIV class="button">
      <A class="leftbutton" href="index.htm">HOME</A><A
      href="whatsnew.htm">WHAT'S NEW</A><A href="albums.htm">PHOTO ALBUMS</A><A
      href="history/index.htm">HISTORY</A><A
      href="memories/index.htm">MEMORIES</A><A href="feedback.htm">FEEDBACK</A>
      </DIV>
      </DIV>
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
        Hi Ray,

        > The menu in http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/ is very
        > appealing. Would you
        > please show me the relevant style definitions that permit your menu to act
        > like a segmented map? IOW, the words "HOME", WHAT'S NEW", etc.
        > don't run all together, and they display alternate background when the
        > cursor hovers over them.

        You'll see from the line:

        <LINK rel="stylesheet" href="eastwalton.css" type="text/css">

        that the css file in in the same folder as the index.htm file, so you could
        just enter http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/eastwalton.css into the
        address bar of your browser and it should be downloaded for you. (In my
        case TopStyle opens and displays it, as it is the program I use for editing
        my CSS files.)

        As you've seen the site, it should also be hanging about in the folder:

        Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

        and you could open it from there.

        > A copy of the HTML is included below so others can follow.

        > *********html snippet*********
        >
        > <DIV class="menu">
        > <DIV class="button">
        > <A class="leftbutton" href="index.htm">HOME</A><A
        > href="whatsnew.htm">WHAT'S NEW</A><A href="albums.htm">PHOTO ALBUMS</A><A
        > href="history/index.htm">HISTORY</A><A
        > href="memories/index.htm">MEMORIES</A><A href="feedback.htm">FEEDBACK</A>
        > </DIV>
        > </DIV>

        CSS snippet*****************

        .button a:link {
        background-color : #0066FF;
        border-right : 1px solid #0000FF;
        color : #FFFFFF;
        padding : 2px 20px;
        text-decoration : none;
        }

        .button a:visited {
        background-color : #0066FF;
        border-right : 1px solid #0000FF;
        color : #FFFFFF;
        padding : 2px 20px;
        text-decoration : none;
        }

        .button a:hover {
        background-color : #00FFFF;
        color : #000000;
        }

        .leftbutton {
        border-left : 1px solid #0000FF;
        }

        .menu {
        background-color : #0066FF;
        border : 1px solid #0000FF;
        color : #000000;
        font-family : Arial, sans-serif;
        font-size : .7em;
        font-weight : bold;
        padding : 2px 20px;
        }

        > I hope you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy your SeaHawk!

        Thanks! It's almost thirty years old. I only bought it last year and its
        now due a serious overhaul before too much of the season is lost! A
        neighbour is currently doing some welding work on the trailer. I then have
        to remove all the fittings before stripping all the paint to prepare both
        hull and superstructure for re-painting. Whoever said boating was fun! :-)

        Greg Chapman
        http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
        Celebrating the SeaHawk!