FireFox Equivalent to Which version of Netscape

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
      Hi Group,

      Does Firefox render web pages exactly the same as Netscape? The answer
      probably depends on which version of Netscape is being used.

      All this good discussion of CSS has finally got me trying to learn to use it.
      As I work through an on-line tutorial, I test each new line of code in MSIE
      6.0, FireFox 1.0 and Netscape 7.1.

      In every test so far, FireFox shows its "bloodline", and renders exactly the
      same as the Netscape browser. That gives rise to my question -- which is
      the earliest version of Netscape that renders essentially the same as the
      version 1.0 of FireFox?

      Thanks for the continuing help. You guys and gals are great!

      Ray Shapp
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
        On 14/3/2005 03:37, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Hi Group,
        >
        >Does Firefox render web pages exactly the same as Netscape? The answer
        >probably depends on which version of Netscape is being used.
        >
        >All this good discussion of CSS has finally got me trying to learn to use it.
        >As I work through an on-line tutorial, I test each new line of code in MSIE
        >6.0, FireFox 1.0 and Netscape 7.1.
        >
        >In every test so far, FireFox shows its "bloodline", and renders exactly the
        >same as the Netscape browser. That gives rise to my question -- which is
        >the earliest version of Netscape that renders essentially the same as the
        >version 1.0 of FireFox?

        Hmm, let me put it this way...

        Both Netscape (versions 6.0 and higher, versions 1-4 are an entirely
        different beast) and Firefox use the same engine (Gecko) which was
        created originally for the Mozilla Suite. The Gecko version numbering,
        up to now, corresponds to a version of the Mozilla Application Suite.

        Don't bother with Netscape versions numbered 6.x. They are based on
        early releases of Mozilla which really weren't ready for prime time. I
        doubt many people ever used those.

        Netscape 7.0 is roughly equivalent to Mozilla 1.0
        Netscape 7.1 is about the same as Mozilla 1.4
        Netscape 7.2 is about the same as Mozilla 1.7
        Firefox 1.0 is about the same as Mozilla 1.7
        Firefox 1.0.1 is equivalent to Mozilla 1.7.6

        You can check the version number of the Gecko engine in the "Help/About"
        screen. There's a big string there that is the same as the default
        "User-agent" string that the browser uses to identify itself to servers.
        In my Firefox 1.0.1, for instance, that is:

        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223
        Firefox/1.0.1

        Notice the "rv:1.7.6" part? It's the version number of the Gecko engine.
        Another indication is the "Gecko/20050223", which gives you the DATE of
        this version -- in this case, February 23, 2005.

        Now... about rendering differences. Roughly speaking, not much changed
        in the rendering done by Gecko since version 1.0. So, you might expect
        that _any_ Nestcape 7.x, Mozilla 1.x or Firefox 1.x (and, for that
        matter, fairly recent builds of other Gecko-based browsers like Camino,
        K-Meleon and Galeon) will render about the same. If you use recent
        versions of all of those, the differences are negligible. Older builds
        may show small differences.

        Up to this month, the latest bleeding-edge version of Gecko could always
        be found in the most recent build of the Mozilla Application Suite, and
        a coulpe weeks later ported to Firefox (and other products). Recent
        changes in the Mozilla Foundation decreed that there will no new
        official versions of the Mozilla Suite; instead, development now will be
        centered directly on Firefox and Thunderbird. The product know as
        Mozilla Application Suite will undergo a name change (possibly to
        "Seamonkey", its internal codename up to now) and be developed by a team
        of volunteers not directly attached to the Foundation, in a similar
        way to other Mozilla-derived products.

        Marcelo Bastos
        -=-=-
        ... Common sense isn't...
        * TagZilla 0.057
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
          Hi Ray,

          > All this good discussion of CSS has finally got me trying to
          > learn to use it.
          > As I work through an on-line tutorial, I test each new line of
          > code in MSIE 6.0, FireFox 1.0 and Netscape 7.1.

          I'm certainly no expert on CSS, but you might care to look at a couple of my
          sites for some inspiration on how to do some of the beginner things - like
          arrange a menu down the left side without using a table.

          The experts can comment on how I might improve things! (I do know that they
          fall over in lots of browsers! TopStyle tells me that!)

          One feature of both the sites mentioned below is to use more than one style
          sheet, so that printed versions of the site come out different to the screen
          versions. Using a second style sheet ensures that those who print your
          pages don't have to have the menu and other navigation junk on the printed
          version.

          On a site with a horizontal menu, using slightly different heading styles,
          enabled me to replace the menu with a border on the printed version. This
          helps to retain the design of the screen version whilst removing the
          unneeded navigation material.

          See:
          http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/
          and
          http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/

          Greg
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
            R Shapp wrote:
            >Does Firefox render web pages exactly the same as Netscape? The answer
            >probably depends on which version of Netscape is being used.

            If your copies of Netscape, Firefox and Mozilla are built on the same Gecko
            version they should render pages the same. I don't know, but I don't think
            there is a Netscape version based on the same Gecko as Firefox 1.0. But
            maybe there is. I just get the Mozzies.

            You can see the Gecko version on the Help | About screen and also in the UA
            string.

            Mozilla 1.7.5
            Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217

            Lotta
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
              Hi Greg,

              I visited the two sites mentioned in your posting.

              The menu in http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/ is very appealing. Would you
              please show me the relevant style definitions that permit your menu to act
              like a segmented map? IOW, the words "HOME", WHAT'S NEW", etc. don't run all
              together, and they display alternate background when the cursor hovers over
              them.

              A copy of the HTML is included below so others can follow.

              I hope you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy your SeaHawk!

              Thank you for the help.

              Ray Shapp

              *********html snippet*********

              <DIV class="menu">
              <DIV class="button">
              <A class="leftbutton" href="index.htm">HOME</A><A
              href="whatsnew.htm">WHAT'S NEW</A><A href="albums.htm">PHOTO ALBUMS</A><A
              href="history/index.htm">HISTORY</A><A
              href="memories/index.htm">MEMORIES</A><A href="feedback.htm">FEEDBACK</A>
              </DIV>
              </DIV>
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
                Hi Ray,

                > The menu in http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/ is very
                > appealing. Would you
                > please show me the relevant style definitions that permit your menu to act
                > like a segmented map? IOW, the words "HOME", WHAT'S NEW", etc.
                > don't run all together, and they display alternate background when the
                > cursor hovers over them.

                You'll see from the line:

                <LINK rel="stylesheet" href="eastwalton.css" type="text/css">

                that the css file in in the same folder as the index.htm file, so you could
                just enter http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/eastwalton.css into the
                address bar of your browser and it should be downloaded for you. (In my
                case TopStyle opens and displays it, as it is the program I use for editing
                my CSS files.)

                As you've seen the site, it should also be hanging about in the folder:

                Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

                and you could open it from there.

                > A copy of the HTML is included below so others can follow.

                > *********html snippet*********
                >
                > <DIV class="menu">
                > <DIV class="button">
                > <A class="leftbutton" href="index.htm">HOME</A><A
                > href="whatsnew.htm">WHAT'S NEW</A><A href="albums.htm">PHOTO ALBUMS</A><A
                > href="history/index.htm">HISTORY</A><A
                > href="memories/index.htm">MEMORIES</A><A href="feedback.htm">FEEDBACK</A>
                > </DIV>
                > </DIV>

                CSS snippet*****************

                .button a:link {
                background-color : #0066FF;
                border-right : 1px solid #0000FF;
                color : #FFFFFF;
                padding : 2px 20px;
                text-decoration : none;
                }

                .button a:visited {
                background-color : #0066FF;
                border-right : 1px solid #0000FF;
                color : #FFFFFF;
                padding : 2px 20px;
                text-decoration : none;
                }

                .button a:hover {
                background-color : #00FFFF;
                color : #000000;
                }

                .leftbutton {
                border-left : 1px solid #0000FF;
                }

                .menu {
                background-color : #0066FF;
                border : 1px solid #0000FF;
                color : #000000;
                font-family : Arial, sans-serif;
                font-size : .7em;
                font-weight : bold;
                padding : 2px 20px;
                }

                > I hope you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy your SeaHawk!

                Thanks! It's almost thirty years old. I only bought it last year and its
                now due a serious overhaul before too much of the season is lost! A
                neighbour is currently doing some welding work on the trailer. I then have
                to remove all the fittings before stripping all the paint to prepare both
                hull and superstructure for re-painting. Whoever said boating was fun! :-)

                Greg Chapman
                http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
                Celebrating the SeaHawk!