Re: [NH] URI Vs. URL

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
      Thanks Lotta, Marcelo, and Rob.

      URL, URI, URN -- I'd rather go back to contemplating how many angels can
      dance on the head of a pin.

      Ray Shapp
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
        Its like counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

        Wasn't that Ferme's description of atomic fission and "critical mass"?
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 13 13 14 29 17 9 10 11 11 25
        15 18 30 15 16 16 17 11 11 19 23 17 16 17 17 38 38 13 12
      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
          Hello Jeffrey,

          Here's what Bartleby's says about the angels (see below my signature).

          My comment wasn't meant to be "scornful", but I don't plan to dote on the
          differences among URL, URN, and URI.

          Regards,

          Ray Shapp

          http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/howmanyangel.html

          The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

          how many angels can stand (dance) on the head of a pin?

          Scornful description of a tedious concern with irrelevant details; an
          allusion to religious controversies in the middle ages. In fact, the medieval
          argument was over how many angels could stand on the point of a pin.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2005
            Looking for something else I just stumbled on this explanation. I thought
            it was funny.

            "URL or URI?
            Although most Web authors are familiar with the acronym URL, which stands
            for uniform resource locator, the term URI isn't as common. URI stands for
            uniform resource identifier. The primary difference is that whereas a URL
            must point to a resource on the Web, a URI does not have this restriction.
            However, URIs must be unique. An analogy would be the word "heaven." It may
            or may not have a physical location, but either way it describes a unique
            concept."
            http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html