RE: [NH] URI Vs. URL

  • Rob Henrichon
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
      Hi Ray -

      * What is an URL

      An Uniform Resource Locator (URL) is the term used to identify an
      Internet resource, and can be specified in a single line of text.

      * What is an URN

      An Uniform Resource Name (URN) is the term used to identify an Internet
      resource, without the use of a scheme, and can be specified in a single line
      of text.

      * What is an URI

      An Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is used by a browser to identify a
      single document, and it too can be specified in a single line of text.
      URL vs. URN vs. URI

      The difference between the three is subtle. An URL refers to a Web page,
      including the scheme, but without a name location. An URN may also include
      the location of a code fragment. An URI refers to a Web page including the
      location of the code fragment, if one exists, and the scheme.
      URL http://www.gleaners.org/faq.html
      URN www.gleaners.org/faq.html#Q04
      URI http://www.gleaners.org/faq.html#Q04

      Because Web servers allow for default documents and do not require a
      scheme to retrieve a document, the subtle difference between an URL and an
      URN and an URI is hard to tell. URL is now used as the generic term.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
        On 13/3/2005 03:44, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Hi Group,
        >
        >Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
        >Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?
        >
        >A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
        >URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.
        >
        >Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL and
        >URI?

        According to what I could find out, URLs are just one kind of URIs,
        although by far the most common:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator

        That is, all URLs are URIs, but not all URIs are URLs.

        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Variables won't. Constants aren't.
        * TagZilla 0.057
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
          R Shapp wrote:
          >Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
          >Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?
          >
          >A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
          >URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.
          >
          >Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL and
          >URI?

          A URL is always a URI, but a URI isn't necessarily a URL. A URL is a type
          of URI. So http://notetab.com/ is a URL and a URI in the same way as an
          apple is a fruit. That's what I *think* anyway and that's all I know about
          it so I'd better stop here before I trip over my own toes and seriously
          hurt myself. :-P

          Read and weep!
          http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/

          Lotta
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
            Thanks Lotta, Marcelo, and Rob.

            URL, URI, URN -- I'd rather go back to contemplating how many angels can
            dance on the head of a pin.

            Ray Shapp
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
              Its like counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

              Wasn't that Ferme's description of atomic fission and "critical mass"?
              ~~

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

              13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 13 13 14 29 17 9 10 11 11 25
              15 18 30 15 16 16 17 11 11 19 23 17 16 17 17 38 38 13 12
            • R Shapp
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
                Hello Jeffrey,

                Here's what Bartleby's says about the angels (see below my signature).

                My comment wasn't meant to be "scornful", but I don't plan to dote on the
                differences among URL, URN, and URI.

                Regards,

                Ray Shapp

                http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/howmanyangel.html

                The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

                how many angels can stand (dance) on the head of a pin?

                Scornful description of a tedious concern with irrelevant details; an
                allusion to religious controversies in the middle ages. In fact, the medieval
                argument was over how many angels could stand on the point of a pin.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14, 2005
                  Looking for something else I just stumbled on this explanation. I thought
                  it was funny.

                  "URL or URI?
                  Although most Web authors are familiar with the acronym URL, which stands
                  for uniform resource locator, the term URI isn't as common. URI stands for
                  uniform resource identifier. The primary difference is that whereas a URL
                  must point to a resource on the Web, a URI does not have this restriction.
                  However, URIs must be unique. An analogy would be the word "heaven." It may
                  or may not have a physical location, but either way it describes a unique
                  concept."
                  http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html