URI Vs. URL

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2005
      Hi Group,

      Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
      Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?

      A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
      URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.

      Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL and
      URI?

      Thank you,

      Ray Shapp
    • Rob Henrichon
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
        Hi Ray -

        * What is an URL

        An Uniform Resource Locator (URL) is the term used to identify an
        Internet resource, and can be specified in a single line of text.

        * What is an URN

        An Uniform Resource Name (URN) is the term used to identify an Internet
        resource, without the use of a scheme, and can be specified in a single line
        of text.

        * What is an URI

        An Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is used by a browser to identify a
        single document, and it too can be specified in a single line of text.
        URL vs. URN vs. URI

        The difference between the three is subtle. An URL refers to a Web page,
        including the scheme, but without a name location. An URN may also include
        the location of a code fragment. An URI refers to a Web page including the
        location of the code fragment, if one exists, and the scheme.
        URL http://www.gleaners.org/faq.html
        URN www.gleaners.org/faq.html#Q04
        URI http://www.gleaners.org/faq.html#Q04

        Because Web servers allow for default documents and do not require a
        scheme to retrieve a document, the subtle difference between an URL and an
        URN and an URI is hard to tell. URL is now used as the generic term.

        Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
        Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?

        A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
        URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.

        Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL
        and
        URI?

        Thank you,

        Ray Shapp

        CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
        http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
          On 13/3/2005 03:44, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >Hi Group,
          >
          >Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
          >Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?
          >
          >A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
          >URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.
          >
          >Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL and
          >URI?

          According to what I could find out, URLs are just one kind of URIs,
          although by far the most common:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator

          That is, all URLs are URIs, but not all URIs are URLs.

          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Variables won't. Constants aren't.
          * TagZilla 0.057
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
            R Shapp wrote:
            >Is there a difference between a Universal Resource Locator (URL) and a
            >Universal Resource Identifier (URI)?
            >
            >A textbook shows an example of entering a URI into a CSS validator, but the
            >URI looks identical to the URL for the page being validated.
            >
            >Is there any real difference in the meaning or usage of the two terms URL and
            >URI?

            A URL is always a URI, but a URI isn't necessarily a URL. A URL is a type
            of URI. So http://notetab.com/ is a URL and a URI in the same way as an
            apple is a fruit. That's what I *think* anyway and that's all I know about
            it so I'd better stop here before I trip over my own toes and seriously
            hurt myself. :-P

            Read and weep!
            http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/

            Lotta
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
              Thanks Lotta, Marcelo, and Rob.

              URL, URI, URN -- I'd rather go back to contemplating how many angels can
              dance on the head of a pin.

              Ray Shapp
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
                Its like counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

                Wasn't that Ferme's description of atomic fission and "critical mass"?
                ~~

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 13 13 14 29 17 9 10 11 11 25
                15 18 30 15 16 16 17 11 11 19 23 17 16 17 17 38 38 13 12
              • R Shapp
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 13, 2005
                  Hello Jeffrey,

                  Here's what Bartleby's says about the angels (see below my signature).

                  My comment wasn't meant to be "scornful", but I don't plan to dote on the
                  differences among URL, URN, and URI.

                  Regards,

                  Ray Shapp

                  http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/howmanyangel.html

                  The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

                  how many angels can stand (dance) on the head of a pin?

                  Scornful description of a tedious concern with irrelevant details; an
                  allusion to religious controversies in the middle ages. In fact, the medieval
                  argument was over how many angels could stand on the point of a pin.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 14, 2005
                    Looking for something else I just stumbled on this explanation. I thought
                    it was funny.

                    "URL or URI?
                    Although most Web authors are familiar with the acronym URL, which stands
                    for uniform resource locator, the term URI isn't as common. URI stands for
                    uniform resource identifier. The primary difference is that whereas a URL
                    must point to a resource on the Web, a URI does not have this restriction.
                    However, URIs must be unique. An analogy would be the word "heaven." It may
                    or may not have a physical location, but either way it describes a unique
                    concept."
                    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html