Re: Are there any CSS templates that I could use, instead of HTML Tables?

  • Nigel Hall
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2005
      Hello again,

      Thank you, Larry, for the recommendation of the book. Thanks also
      to Sisterscape for the recommendation of the forum, which I am sure
      I will find helpful, I found one or two interesting threads in it.
      I have found some of the articles and web sites that you all
      recommended to be very helpful in understanding how divs work in
      CSS.

      What I have been trying to do is to have a single column, on the
      left, with links in it, and, to the right of that, 3 rows, stacked
      vertically, next to the left hand column. I tried absolute
      positioning of all the divs, at first. But, as you probably know,
      that meant that any text that I entered had to fit into the rows on
      the right, or I would have a lot of empty space under the content,
      or, if I put too much content, then it would not all show in the
      row, unless I adjusted the size of it.

      It took me hours to realise that I should just use absolute
      positioning for the left hand column and leave out the absolute
      positioning for the rows to the right, so that they would stack on
      top of one another, vertically, and would automatically adjust to
      the amount of content in them. Also, to use a left-margin for the
      right hand rows, so that it would take their content away from the
      left hand column.

      Now, I bet someone is going to tell me that there is a much easier
      and better way to do that. :) Maybe I should have used paragraph
      tags instead of divs, I don't know, but I had fun finding an answer.

      Best wishes,
      Nigel