Re: [NH] Are there any CSS templates that I could use, instead of HTML Tables?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
      When I first started to learn CSS, I bought a book and it helped to get
      me oriented. But the information in books becomes quickly dated.
      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 is best place I
      have found to learn the basics as well as the finer points of CSS. The
      CSS gurus there, especially Paul O'Brien have incredible knowledge. It
      will make your head spin! Be sure to check out the sticky threads for
      some amazing tips as well as a three column template.

      sisterscape

      --- Nigel Hall <nihall@...> wrote:

      > Hello there,
      >
      > I am fairly conversant with HTML and know how to make tables to
      > display my pages. However, I would like to start designing my pages
      > in CSS and would like to know if there are any CSS templates
      > availabe,
      > that would facilitate my designing pages as equivalent to HTML tables
      > and maybe cut out the effort of having to design them from scratch in
      > CSS.
      >
      > Hope that you can help.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Nigel

    • Nigel Hall
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2005
        Hello again,

        Thank you, Larry, for the recommendation of the book. Thanks also
        to Sisterscape for the recommendation of the forum, which I am sure
        I will find helpful, I found one or two interesting threads in it.
        I have found some of the articles and web sites that you all
        recommended to be very helpful in understanding how divs work in
        CSS.

        What I have been trying to do is to have a single column, on the
        left, with links in it, and, to the right of that, 3 rows, stacked
        vertically, next to the left hand column. I tried absolute
        positioning of all the divs, at first. But, as you probably know,
        that meant that any text that I entered had to fit into the rows on
        the right, or I would have a lot of empty space under the content,
        or, if I put too much content, then it would not all show in the
        row, unless I adjusted the size of it.

        It took me hours to realise that I should just use absolute
        positioning for the left hand column and leave out the absolute
        positioning for the rows to the right, so that they would stack on
        top of one another, vertically, and would automatically adjust to
        the amount of content in them. Also, to use a left-margin for the
        right hand rows, so that it would take their content away from the
        left hand column.

        Now, I bet someone is going to tell me that there is a much easier
        and better way to do that. :) Maybe I should have used paragraph
        tags instead of divs, I don't know, but I had fun finding an answer.

        Best wishes,
        Nigel