Re: [NH] Are there any CSS templates that I could use, instead of HTML Tables?

  • Paul Nelson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2005
      I just finished reading a good book on the subject, by a fellow who's apparently considered one of the leading thinkers in the field--and among other things, the idea is to use CSS as much as possible instead of tables as the way to design pages.

      The book is "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition", by Eric Meyer, and I was able to find a used copy (via www.addall.com) for not much. Very interesting, and fairly easy to understand!

      -- Paul
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2005
        Paul Nelson wrote:
        > I just finished reading a good book on the subject, by a fellow who's apparently considered one of the leading thinkers in the field--and among other things, the idea is to use CSS as much as possible instead of tables as the way to design pages.
        >
        > The book is "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition", by Eric Meyer, and I was able to find a used copy (via www.addall.com) for not much. Very interesting, and fairly easy to understand!
        >
        > -- Paul
        Lotta's site was good. Eric Meyer is very good as well.
        I was just looking up Eric Meyer, because I have used his stuff before.
        Here is a good what not to from Eric himself:
        http://complexspiral.com/
        check out upcoming events (very current)
        compare to current news (last updated in August 2004 ... and that isn't
        current at all). So has the site been ignored or abandoned?
        I think the answer is ignored.

        If you go over to his main pages you can dial in his wonder css examples:
        http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/
        and his tools:
        http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/

        If you look around more you can find examples that are to accompany his
        books on various sites.

        check out some of the stuff you find via google:
        http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=css+column+template

        and go to the grand daddy of all css design! Feel the Zen:
        http://www.csszengarden.com/
        click around on the various renditions of that page, find one you like
        and use the layout -- just not the images etc. (read the terms and
        conditions)

        And the grand son:
        http://www.alexking.org/index.php?content=software/wordpress/styles.php

        There is tons out there.