Are there any CSS templates that I could use, instead of HTML Tables?

  • Nigel Hall
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
      Hello there,

      I am fairly conversant with HTML and know how to make tables to
      display my pages. However, I would like to start designing my pages
      in CSS and would like to know if there are any CSS templates availabe,
      that would facilitate my designing pages as equivalent to HTML tables
      and maybe cut out the effort of having to design them from scratch in
      CSS.

      Hope that you can help.

      Best wishes,
      Nigel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
        Nigel Hall wrote:
        >Hello there,

        Hi! :-)

        >I am fairly conversant with HTML and know how to make tables to
        >display my pages. However, I would like to start designing my pages
        >in CSS and would like to know if there are any CSS templates availabe,
        >that would facilitate my designing pages as equivalent to HTML tables
        >and maybe cut out the effort of having to design them from scratch in
        >CSS.

        Loads. Equivalent to how tables *work* might be harder. CSS is, well,
        different. Here's a good place to start:
        <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts>

        Lotta
      • Steve Ting
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
          Here are a couple additional sites with templates and CSS ideas:

          http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
          http://www.glish.com/
          http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/resources/
          http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/ -Several CSS Column layouts

          Regards,
          Steve
        • Nigel Hall
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
            Hi again,

            Thanks Lotta, Don and Steve for all the great links that you have sent
            to me, I have taken a look at quite a few of them and I am sure that
            they will be useful. Also, thanks to Paul for the recommendation of
            the book. I did a search on Google on the subject and I also came up
            with this article about it -
            http://www.keithjbrown.co.uk/vworks/design/design_2.shtml
            which, although I think that he might have made it a bit simpler, I
            think I can see what he is driving at, and today, I have been having
            some fun messing around with some <div> tags and I am thinking that
            maybe it might not be as difficult as I thought it was, to build a
            page from scratch, using them instead of a table. That is what I am
            hoping, anyway.

            Best wishes,
            Nigel

            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Steve Ting <scting@c...> wrote:
            > Here are a couple additional sites with templates and CSS ideas:
            >
            > http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
            > http://www.glish.com/
            > http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/resources/
            > http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/ -Several CSS Column layouts
            >
            > Regards,
            > Steve
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
              I bought the "CSS Cookbook", by Christopher Shmitt, publisher O'Reilly
              last weekend.

              Like the other O'Reilly "cookbook" titles, it has lots of solutions to
              fairly common things one might want to do with CSS. It mentions which
              "recipes" have issues with what browser, but most recipes should work on
              most current browsers. Unfortunately, some of the really cool ideas are
              limited to the most compliant browsers.

              I found several ideas that made some aspects of CSS finally click.

              The appendix also lists several sites for more information.

              Larry Hamilton
              Kairos Computer Solutions
              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
              Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

              Nigel Hall wrote:

              > Hello there,
              >
              > I am fairly conversant with HTML and know how to make tables to
              > display my pages. However, I would like to start designing my pages
              > in CSS and would like to know if there are any CSS templates availabe,
              > that would facilitate my designing pages as equivalent to HTML tables
              > and maybe cut out the effort of having to design them from scratch in
              > CSS.
              >
              > Hope that you can help.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              > Nigel
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
                When I first started to learn CSS, I bought a book and it helped to get
                me oriented. But the information in books becomes quickly dated.
                http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 is best place I
                have found to learn the basics as well as the finer points of CSS. The
                CSS gurus there, especially Paul O'Brien have incredible knowledge. It
                will make your head spin! Be sure to check out the sticky threads for
                some amazing tips as well as a three column template.

                sisterscape

                --- Nigel Hall <nihall@...> wrote:

                > Hello there,
                >
                > I am fairly conversant with HTML and know how to make tables to
                > display my pages. However, I would like to start designing my pages
                > in CSS and would like to know if there are any CSS templates
                > availabe,
                > that would facilitate my designing pages as equivalent to HTML tables
                > and maybe cut out the effort of having to design them from scratch in
                > CSS.
                >
                > Hope that you can help.
                >
                > Best wishes,
                > Nigel

              • Nigel Hall
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2005
                  Hello again,

                  Thank you, Larry, for the recommendation of the book. Thanks also
                  to Sisterscape for the recommendation of the forum, which I am sure
                  I will find helpful, I found one or two interesting threads in it.
                  I have found some of the articles and web sites that you all
                  recommended to be very helpful in understanding how divs work in
                  CSS.

                  What I have been trying to do is to have a single column, on the
                  left, with links in it, and, to the right of that, 3 rows, stacked
                  vertically, next to the left hand column. I tried absolute
                  positioning of all the divs, at first. But, as you probably know,
                  that meant that any text that I entered had to fit into the rows on
                  the right, or I would have a lot of empty space under the content,
                  or, if I put too much content, then it would not all show in the
                  row, unless I adjusted the size of it.

                  It took me hours to realise that I should just use absolute
                  positioning for the left hand column and leave out the absolute
                  positioning for the rows to the right, so that they would stack on
                  top of one another, vertically, and would automatically adjust to
                  the amount of content in them. Also, to use a left-margin for the
                  right hand rows, so that it would take their content away from the
                  left hand column.

                  Now, I bet someone is going to tell me that there is a much easier
                  and better way to do that. :) Maybe I should have used paragraph
                  tags instead of divs, I don't know, but I had fun finding an answer.

                  Best wishes,
                  Nigel