"relearning HTML"

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2000
      >Anyhow, I guess I have to start relearning HTML and unlearning all
      >my "bad" habits. :( Don't those guys have anything else better to
      >do than make more work for us all. <g> I know, it is for the
      >better trying to get to a standard of some type.

      > OK, I did my first one. ;)
      >
      > But I obviously have to be missing a very big point here. Below
      > is good for one font tag. Now, I want to use about say 10 different
      > colors in my page. Using the old method which CSEVal... says is
      > getting replaced by .css I would wrap the text in it. In other
      > words show me how I make red white and blue font colors to use in
      > three places.
      >
      > FONT
      > {
      > font-family : times;
      > font-style : normal;
      > color: blue;
      > }
      >
      > Also, <CENTER> is to be replaced. I already have P equaling
      > "justify." How do I center text now without using H1, etc.
      > is good for one font tag. Now, I want to use about say 10 different
      > colors in my page.

      :-> OK Slow down and Stop thinking like some ponytailed graphic designer for
      minute or two.

      <soapbox>
      When thinking about html documents think about the "meaning" of your markup.
      Take a step back from "how should the page look"--- to how best you can
      construct a document to convey the meaning of the content. In such "a way of
      thinking" documents constructs like headings, parargraphs, lists, and so on
      markup pieces of information that have meaning.

      When using the strong element, the text contained by that element is marked
      up as being strongly emphased. This is the structural purpose of marking up
      the text with STRONG. Every piece of markup ought to add meaning to the text
      being marked up.A blockquote specifies that the text has been quoted and so
      on.
      Depreciated elements are elements which don't add significance or meaning to
      the text. What meaning does CENTER give to a piece of text or FONT etc?
      Zilch!. These elements don't tell us anything as to how the text should be
      meaningfully interpreted only how it should be displayed.

      Text markup with STRONG ought to standout from the surrounding text
      otherwise it's meaning is unclear.
      We can leave it up to a browser to display this STRONG mark up how it sees
      fit by bolding text
      but a browser for visually impaired might parse this mark up and speak in a
      authoritative voice or a pda might blink it, I don't care as long the
      meaning is conveyed. If you think you need more control over how markup
      is presented you develop a stylesheet suited for display in a monitor, a
      printer, a pda/web-phone etc You ought to be able to produce a different
      stylesheet for a monitor, a printer, a pda/web-phone etc without changing
      the marked-up content in the document body.

      </soapbox>

      If you think STRONG ought to be styled for display in a monitor as being
      blue and bold create a selector
      and give it a name and add the appropiate declarations

      strong.coolAuthority
      {
      color: blue;
      font-weight: bold;
      }

      "strong.coolAuthority" is a "selector"
      "color: blue;" is a "declaration" for that selector

      If you think STRONG ought to be styled for display in a monitor as being red
      and bold then create a selector.
      and give it a name

      strong.warning
      {
      color: red;
      font-weight: bold;
      }

      To call this from a web page
      Look but <strong class="warning">don't touch.</strong>
      or
      <strong class="coolAuthority">Don't touch</strong> an element or you will be
      burned.

      > What does "center" look like; can I open my Top Style 1.51 Pro

      for any selector use the declaration
      text-align: center;

      Often you will see this used with generic the DIV container element.
      center this text

      if your purpose is to move text off the screen border you can use the margin
      and padding properties in a declarartion.

      div
      {
      margin-left: 100px;
      margin-right: 100px;
      padding-left: 100px;
      padding-right: 100px;
      }
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2000
        Hi Grant and Will,

        > :-> OK Slow down and Stop thinking like some ponytailed graphic
        > designer for minute or two.

        LOL!!! Actually, I cut my ponytail way back at the end of high
        school when the Woodstock era was over and I did not want to die
        an old hippie. <bg> You must be referring to those nuts up in
        Sohio, NYC or out there in the valley of the fruits and nuts, CA. ;)

        You're right though about the way I was looking at it. Once I
        saw Will's and your example it fell in place. I still haven't
        found in all my reference material yet. ;) Like I can find and
        example of a full BODY. Bit's and pieces, but...

        I think one thing that was messing me up is I was trying to do
        every tag in the style sheet. I all works not in the three
        browsers except I lost my ALINK somewhere along the line and
        can't find the problem. I tried doing the BODY in .css, and I
        think that was about the time I lost it, but when I reverted back
        to the regular BODY, because I could not get it to work in .css I
        still had to ALINK. I put what I tried for BODY below this.
        CSEVal still reports the FONT and U not being around much longer,
        but I guess I would have to disable it to get rid of it and I
        don't want to disable that one.

        <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
        .indent
        {
        margin-left:5em;
        margin-right:5em;
        font-weight: bold;
        }

        U.udl

        {
        text-decoration: underline
        }

        P.justify
        {
        text-align: justify;
        }

        EM
        {
        font-size: larger;
        font-style: normal;
        color: black;
        }

        STRONG
        {
        color: red;
        font-size : 14pt;
        }

        FONT.black
        {
        font-family : "Times New Roman";
        font-style : normal;
        font-size : 14pt;
        color: black;
        }

        FONT.blue
        {
        font-family : "Times New Roman";
        font-style : normal;
        font-size : 14pt;
        color: blue;
        }

        FONT.red
        {
        font-family : "Times New Roman";
        font-style : normal;
        font-size : 16pt;
        color: red;
        }

        FONT.white
        {
        font-family : "Times New Roman";
        font-style : normal;
        font-size : 16pt;
        color: white;
        }
        </STYLE>
        </HEAD>

        ----

        BODY
        {
        font-family : "Times New Roman";
        font-style : normal;
        font-size : 13pt;
        font-weight: bold;
        color: blue;
        :link { color: rgb(0, 0, 153) }
        :visited { color: rgb(153, 0, 153) }
        :active { color: rgb(255, 0, 0) }
        :hover { color: rgb(0, 96, 255) }
        back-ground image: ../image/bgntp1.jpg
        }

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2000
          Hi Grant and Will,

          <STYLE TYPE="text/css">

          PS: http://www.sureword.com/notetab/html/snatchclp.html

          OK, do I have to pull one of those <CENTER> and <P ALIGN=center> to
          get Netscape to center my tables? They are centered in Opera and IE.

          In other words, do I have to use both tags in order to satisfy
          them all or is there bug in my source?