Re: [NH] Form

  • elssner@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 22 , May 25, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      > OK, after studying it a bit and seeing how it worked I said to
      > myself, "Self, you know, this doesn't appear to be as hard as it
      > looks. Maybe an ignernt hillbilly like you can learn himself
      > it." ;)
      >
      > From what I can see is in the definition area (?) that the tags
      > are defined there and wherever used in the document body it will

      Yes to all. ;-)

      There is a really good and somewhat easy to understand introduction to
      CSS in part three of our all father-and-mother-of-Tidy Dave Ragget's
      HTML tutorial. There is a link to it somewhere on the Tidy home page,
      as far as I remember.

      Happy CSSin' ! *g*

      Stefan
      ---
      elssner@...
    • William K. Hardeman
      Message 2 of 22 , May 26, 2000
        Jody,

        You define different font classes to get the different colors. For example, the FONT definition you
        gave might be for your default page font, while the others might be

        FONT.RED
        {
        font-family : times;
        font-style : normal;
        color: red;
        }

        FONT.WHITE
        {
        font-family : times;
        font-style : normal;
        color: white;
        }

        FONT.ETC...

        Then, in your <font> tags, you would change the color by using the class definition via <font
        class=RED> to use any color other than the default one. Or, if you prefer to create classes that
        are not tied to a tag, just do the same as above, but don't use the FONT, just the .WHATEVER
        (dot WHATEVER). Then, you can refer to those classes in areas outside of FONT tags, doing
        away with them all together.

        Hope this helps,
        Will

        On 25 May 00, at 8:22, Jody said:

        > Hi Lotta,

        <snip>

        > But I obviously have to be missing a very big point here. Below
        > is good for one font tag. Now, I want to use about say 10 different
        > colors in my page. Using the old method which CSEVal... says is
        > getting replaced by .css I would wrap the text in it. In other
        > words show me how I make red white and blue font colors to use in
        > three places.
        >
        > FONT
        > {
        > font-family : times;
        > font-style : normal;
        > color: blue;
        > }

        <snip>

        Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant
        intelligence. (Henrik Tikkanen)

        The closest distance between two people is a good laugh. - Leo Bascalia
        Message 3 of 22 , May 29, 2000
          Hi Grant,

          > Some notes on Take 48
          >
          > in UL can only contain a LI element but if you want to nest
          > unordered lists LI can contain UL

          <UL>
          <LI>
          <UL>
          test
          </UL>
          </LI>
          </UL>

          Thanks - don't know what I would use it for, but it may come
          in handy sometime.

          > A plug..You might want to try my xhtml library
          > www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip

          I couldn't find the Clip(s) to check the tags, etc. Nice Libraries
          though and I see you added your Clipbar. ;)

          A suggestion to add to certain Clips. ^!SetScreenUpdate Off makes
          a number of them faster and much easier on the eyes. ;) Check out the difference in your select tag Clip in xhtml.

          -selectTag
          ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
        • Grant
          Message 4 of 22 , May 30, 2000
            > I couldn't find the Clip(s) to check the tags, etc.

            Try selecting any text with tags then attempt to wrap with a provided clip
            element.
            Try a few badly formed wraps.
            eg; In trying to wrap </ul> without the opening <ul> an infobox will report
            "You are trying to wrap a closing tag. Where is the opening tag?"
            eg; try to wrap Ul element with another Ul element and an infobox will
            report
            "You cannot wrap Element <ul> with <ul>
            valid Tags for <ul> are li".

            This does prevent all cases of syntactically bad wrapping but I think does a
            reasonble job to prevent some common markup typos.

            Nice Libraries
            > though and I see you added your Clipbar. ;)
            Ok so I cheated a bit and appropiated the existing icons to suit my own
            purposes. If I've got the time I'll create my own icons. Know of a good icon
            editor?

            > A suggestion to add to certain Clips. ^!SetScreenUpdate Off makes
            > a number of them faster and much easier on the eyes. ;) Check out the
            difference in your select tag Clip in xhtml.

            Good idea and I'll see where else I can apply this.

            I have now added a new "element_can_contain" button , when cursor placed on
            an existing tag and pressed will present in an info box a list of acceptable
            tags that can follow. This should help those learning xhtml.
            Library can be downloaded at.
            www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip
            Message 5 of 22 , May 30, 2000
              Hi Grant,

              > Try selecting any text with tags then attempt to wrap with a
              > provided clip element. Try a few badly formed wraps.

              OK, will do.

              > Ok so I cheated a bit and appropiated the existing icons to
              > suit my own purposes. If I've got the time I'll create my own
              > icons. Know of a good icon editor?

              I normally use PSP for my .bmp's for NoteTab. If you use .ico
              NoteTab has to convert them. I have a mess of different image
              software, PSP the only shareware. From my NoteView Clipbar:

              Requires NoteTab v4.81 or above

              H="NoteView"
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/noteview/zip

              H="Get BKColour Coder"
              ^!Url ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/winsite/winnt/netutil/coder20.exe

              H="Get Embellish"
              ^!Url http://www.dadaware.com

              H="Get IconEdit32"
              ^!Url ftp://zdftp.zdnet.com/pub/private/sWlIB/graphics_multimedia_tools/icon_tools/pcmicone.zip

              H="Get IconJack32"
              ^!Url ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/pcmag/2000/0509/ijack32.zip

              H="Get IconMaker"
              ^!Url ftp://ftp.euro.net/d5/simtelnet/win95/icon/imak05.zip

              H="Get I_View"
              ^!Url http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/

              H="Get LView Pro"
              ^!Url ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_win/graphics/lviewp1b.zip

              H="Get Psp"
              ^!Url http://www.psp.com

              H=LView Pro Image Editor
              ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_win/graphics/lviewp1b.zip

              H=Icon Maker
              ftp://ftp.euro.net/d5/simtelnet/win95/icon/imak05.zip

              > www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip

              If I do xhtml can I turn right around and use NoteTab's Tags to
              uppercase? Why do you use xhtml over regular html and, in short,
              what is the difference as far as a weekend page builder would use
              them for?

              Also, I can mess around with Tidy.cfg a bit and figured out how
              to adjust indent or none at all, but how do I make it not do
              anything to my existing format?

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 22 , May 31, 2000
                Hi Jody
                Thanks for the list of URLs

                > If I do xhtml can I turn right around and use NoteTab's Tags to
                > uppercase?

                Yes but it won't be xhtml because xhtml is case sensitive and the case of
                tags and thier attributes must all be in lower case.

                >Why do you use xhtml over regular html and, in short,
                > what is the difference as far as a weekend page builder would use
                > them for?

                For beginners ---
                Mark up with xhtml is easier to learn than html as as the xhtml markup rules
                are more consistent than html.
                all tags and attributes in lower case
                all tags must be closed. eg; <p>closed with </p>
                Attribute values must always be quoted.
                and so on ... refer to the following one page w3c doc
                http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1

                Also xhtml ought to produce a cleaner and more easily readible and alterable
                markup.

                For advanced user.
                With xhtml you get the ease and familiarity of html with the power of xml.
                When you markup with xhtml what you get is "a reformulation of HTML 4 as an
                XML 1.0 application".
                If your xhtml document is well formed and valid then you can parse it as XML
                and use the DOM to manipulate it and CSS to style it. In an ms enviroment
                this means you can use the ms COM object. "microsoft.xmldom" and use the
                scriptable properties and methods available for that object. There are also
                various perl and java xml parsers you can use. It's early stages yet but it
                seems the futures is xml. I don't know who said it I think the quote is
                "Xhtml is the bridge between the past and future web"

                > Also, I can mess around with Tidy.cfg a bit and figured out how
                > to adjust indent or none at all, but how do I make it not do
                > anything to my existing format?

                set "markup" config declaration to "no".

                "markup: bool
                Determines whether Tidy generates a pretty printed version of the markup.
                Bool values are either yes or no. Note that Tidy won't generate a pretty
                printed version if it finds unknown tags, or missing trailing quotes on
                attribute values, or missing trailing '>' on tags. The default is yes. "

                The xhtml library has a wizard to help build a tidy config file. You can
                access the config file wizard by holding ctrl down while pressing the tidy
                button.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                  Hi Grant,

                  Thanks for the info in the other posts.

                  I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
                  but Tidy still reports it. ???

                  <!ATTLIST TABLE -- table element --
                  <snip>
                  bgcolor %Color; #IMPLIED -- background color for cells --
                  bordercolorlight #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --
                  bordercolordark #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --
                  bordercolor #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --

                  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "E:\NoteTab Pro\loose.dtd">

                  Thanks!
                  Jody

                  Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                  mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe