Re: [NH] Forms on website without Mail Merge, SSI, etc.

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      Server side scripting like PHP is the most secure way to handle a
      contact form. I really like the FormM@iler which you can download at
      http://scripts.dbmasters.net/

      sisterscape

      --- Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

      > I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
      > uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.
      >
      > The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
      > intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
      > into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have
      > ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
      > folder, I can't.
      >
      > It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
      > believe both of those require set-up at the server.
      >
      > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the
      > free
      > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
      >
      > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > --
      >

      > ~~~
      > Jeff Scism, IBSSG
      > Scismgenie@...
      >
      > http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
      >
      > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
      >
      > Use the link below to join the S-250 Soundex (also Crowley/croley)
      > DNA project and purchase your DNA test.
      > http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857
      >
      > Data contained within this email may only be used with permission of
      > the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational
      > activities, and for personal genealogical information.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mickster
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
        Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
        > 2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
        > really good ones

        If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out Jatol
        at http://www.jatol.com/. I've been dealing with webhosting and server
        leasing for a number of years now and have NEVER had a better company to
        deal with. Their prices are very reasonable and I can't say enough
        about their support and service, it's simply *EXCELLENT*. When you
        factor in outstanding uptime and reliablilty, they can't be beat.

        No, I don't have any ties with Jatol other than being a *very* satisfied
        customer. I know one thing, as long as Jatol is around and stays like
        it is now, I will *never* look for another place for leasing a server.

        Oh, and it's not just server hosting that they offer. They have
        packages to fit any need and will work with you to make sure you get
        what you want and need, all at a reasonable price.

        = = = = = =
        Mick Housel
        safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
        broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
        -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

        mickster AT motomania.us
        http://www.mickhousel.com/
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
          Mickster wrote:
          > Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
          >
          >>2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
          >>really good ones
          >

          > If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out ...

          I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
          There are a number of good ones.
        • Mickster
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            > Mickster wrote:
            > I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
            > There are a number of good ones.

            I don't disagree that there are a number of good ones, there's also some
            that seem great and later turn out to be a PITA when it comes to support
            or other things, been there done that. Just wanted to let those on the
            list know about Jatol. I've yet to see/have a webhosting service that
            can match the support that they offer, yet for a reasonable price.

            = = = = = =
            Mick Housel # 253W
            safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
            broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
            -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

            mickster@...
            http://www.mickhousel.com/
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
              I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
              I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
              there are just as many good ones.

              Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
              I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
              their site. They're too busy selling things.

              Thanks,
              Christine
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                Christine wrote:
                > I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
                > I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
                > there are just as many good ones.
                >
                > Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
                > I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
                > their site. They're too busy selling things.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Christine

                Since we are apprently endorsing products and organizations today :-)
                Head on over to http://htmlfixit.com/free.php and check out our
                statistical counter. It is a great counter/stats program. It is much
                more honest than a typical counter, tells you when your page is crawled,
                gives stats on users browser, javascript status, etc. We support it
                with live help. If you have server side, I can tell you how to display
                the count in your page if you wish to do so and it always counts in the
                background. It runs in perl. *Like notetab, there is a completely free
                version and a $10 paid version.* We are about to release a new advanced
                version that is even better, and it will go to registered users without
                cost. We have had very good feedback on our stats counter and it has
                been used by some pretty heavy duty sites with success.

                Additional discussion of this should probably head over to the off topic
                list, and additional endorsments of hosting should likewise head off
                topic (that was the point of my earlier email :-) as these types of
                things always seem to get off topic quickly).

                I'll copy this to off topic so others can make recommendations over there.