Re: [NH] Forms on website without Mail Merge, SSI, etc.

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
      > uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.
      >
      > The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
      > intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
      > into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have to
      > ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
      > folder, I can't.
      >
      > It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
      > believe both of those require set-up at the server.
      >
      > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the free
      > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
      > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
      >
      > Any suggestions?

      I would suggest each of the following:
      1. just use html (see example here:
      http://www.cookwood.com/html5ed/examples/forms/emailform.html )
      2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
      really good ones
      3. try using either shtml or php and see if it is enabled you need those
      for true server side ... I have a javascript include method ... but of
      course people who don't use javascript miss a bit ... let me know if you
      want the link for my javascript version of server side
    • Mickster
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the free
        > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
        > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
        >
        > Any suggestions?

        Hi Jeff,

        Can you us PHP code on your server? If so, take a look at Phorm,
        http://www.phorm.com/. It's quite a powerful little program. I use it
        for any and all of my "contact" forms, etc. I'm even using it with a
        shopping cart that I'm just finishing to email confirmations to both the
        customer and the client. It will also log and retrieve from a MySQL
        database which can be quite useful as well.

        Oh, and registration is a whopping $10 which also allows email
        attachments and file uploading.

        = = = = = =
        Mick Housel
        safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
        broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
        -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

        mickster AT motomania.us
        http://www.mickhousel.com/
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
          Server side scripting like PHP is the most secure way to handle a
          contact form. I really like the FormM@iler which you can download at
          http://scripts.dbmasters.net/

          sisterscape

          --- Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

          > I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
          > uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.
          >
          > The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
          > intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
          > into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have
          > ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
          > folder, I can't.
          >
          > It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
          > believe both of those require set-up at the server.
          >
          > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the
          > free
          > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
          >
          > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > --
          >

          > ~~~
          > Jeff Scism, IBSSG
          > Scismgenie@...
          >
          > http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
          > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
          > http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
          >
          > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
          >
          > Use the link below to join the S-250 Soundex (also Crowley/croley)
          > DNA project and purchase your DNA test.
          > http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857
          >
          > Data contained within this email may only be used with permission of
          > the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational
          > activities, and for personal genealogical information.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mickster
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            > 2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
            > really good ones

            If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out Jatol
            at http://www.jatol.com/. I've been dealing with webhosting and server
            leasing for a number of years now and have NEVER had a better company to
            deal with. Their prices are very reasonable and I can't say enough
            about their support and service, it's simply *EXCELLENT*. When you
            factor in outstanding uptime and reliablilty, they can't be beat.

            No, I don't have any ties with Jatol other than being a *very* satisfied
            customer. I know one thing, as long as Jatol is around and stays like
            it is now, I will *never* look for another place for leasing a server.

            Oh, and it's not just server hosting that they offer. They have
            packages to fit any need and will work with you to make sure you get
            what you want and need, all at a reasonable price.

            = = = = = =

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
              Mickster wrote:
              > Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
              >
              >>2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
              >>really good ones
              >

              > If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out ...

              I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
              There are a number of good ones.
            • Mickster
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                > Mickster wrote:
                > I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
                > There are a number of good ones.

                I don't disagree that there are a number of good ones, there's also some
                that seem great and later turn out to be a PITA when it comes to support
                or other things, been there done that. Just wanted to let those on the
                list know about Jatol. I've yet to see/have a webhosting service that
                can match the support that they offer, yet for a reasonable price.

                = = = = = =
                Mick Housel # 253W
                safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
                broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
                -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

                mickster@...
                http://www.mickhousel.com/
              • Christine
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                  I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
                  I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
                  there are just as many good ones.

                  Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
                  I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
                  their site. They're too busy selling things.

                  Thanks,
                  Christine
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                    Christine wrote:
                    > I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
                    > I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
                    > there are just as many good ones.
                    >
                    > Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
                    > I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
                    > their site. They're too busy selling things.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Christine

                    Since we are apprently endorsing products and organizations today :-)
                    Head on over to http://htmlfixit.com/free.php and check out our
                    statistical counter. It is a great counter/stats program. It is much
                    more honest than a typical counter, tells you when your page is crawled,
                    gives stats on users browser, javascript status, etc. We support it
                    with live help. If you have server side, I can tell you how to display
                    the count in your page if you wish to do so and it always counts in the
                    background. It runs in perl. *Like notetab, there is a completely free
                    version and a $10 paid version.* We are about to release a new advanced
                    version that is even better, and it will go to registered users without
                    cost. We have had very good feedback on our stats counter and it has
                    been used by some pretty heavy duty sites with success.

                    Additional discussion of this should probably head over to the off topic
                    list, and additional endorsments of hosting should likewise head off
                    topic (that was the point of my earlier email :-) as these types of
                    things always seem to get off topic quickly).

                    I'll copy this to off topic so others can make recommendations over there.