Forms on website without Mail Merge, SSI, etc.

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
      uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.

      The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
      intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
      into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have to
      ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
      folder, I can't.

      It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
      believe both of those require set-up at the server.

      I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the free
      service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
      directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)

      Any suggestions?

      --

      ~~~
      Jeff Scism, IBSSG

      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

      All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

      Use the link below to join the S-250 Soundex (also Crowley/croley) DNA project and purchase your DNA test.
      http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857

      Data contained within this email may only be used with permission of the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
        > uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.
        >
        > The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
        > intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
        > into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have to
        > ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
        > folder, I can't.
        >
        > It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
        > believe both of those require set-up at the server.
        >
        > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the free
        > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
        > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
        >
        > Any suggestions?

        I would suggest each of the following:
        1. just use html (see example here:
        http://www.cookwood.com/html5ed/examples/forms/emailform.html )
        2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
        really good ones
        3. try using either shtml or php and see if it is enabled you need those
        for true server side ... I have a javascript include method ... but of
        course people who don't use javascript miss a bit ... let me know if you
        want the link for my javascript version of server side
      • Mickster
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the free
          > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
          > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
          >
          > Any suggestions?

          Hi Jeff,

          Can you us PHP code on your server? If so, take a look at Phorm,
          http://www.phorm.com/. It's quite a powerful little program. I use it
          for any and all of my "contact" forms, etc. I'm even using it with a
          shopping cart that I'm just finishing to email confirmations to both the
          customer and the client. It will also log and retrieve from a MySQL
          database which can be quite useful as well.

          Oh, and registration is a whopping $10 which also allows email
          attachments and file uploading.

          = = = = = =
          Mick Housel
          safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
          broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
          -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

          mickster AT motomania.us
          http://www.mickhousel.com/
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
            Server side scripting like PHP is the most secure way to handle a
            contact form. I really like the FormM@iler which you can download at
            http://scripts.dbmasters.net/

            sisterscape

            --- Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

            > I have a form (http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/submit.html) which
            > uses a submission forwarding service to forwar submissions to me.
            >
            > The Server (Rootsweb) frowns on any coding that requires server end
            > intervention, and basicly allows anything that you can add yourself
            > into your account directory ( public_html). This means that if I have
            > ask a technician to add a file in the server outside of my account
            > folder, I can't.
            >
            > It was suggested I use mail merge and/or Server side includes, but I
            > believe both of those require set-up at the server.
            >
            > I want to get away from the ads and other spam associated with the
            > free
            > service I am currently using, and create a submission form that will
            >
            > directly email them to me. (perhaps even in formatted HTML...)
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > --
            >

            > ~~~
            > Jeff Scism, IBSSG
            > Scismgenie@...
            >
            > http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
            > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
            > http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
            >
            > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
            >
            > Use the link below to join the S-250 Soundex (also Crowley/croley)
            > DNA project and purchase your DNA test.
            > http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857
            >
            > Data contained within this email may only be used with permission of
            > the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational
            > activities, and for personal genealogical information.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mickster
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
              Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
              > 2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
              > really good ones

              If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out Jatol
              at http://www.jatol.com/. I've been dealing with webhosting and server
              leasing for a number of years now and have NEVER had a better company to
              deal with. Their prices are very reasonable and I can't say enough
              about their support and service, it's simply *EXCELLENT*. When you
              factor in outstanding uptime and reliablilty, they can't be beat.

              No, I don't have any ties with Jatol other than being a *very* satisfied
              customer. I know one thing, as long as Jatol is around and stays like
              it is now, I will *never* look for another place for leasing a server.

              Oh, and it's not just server hosting that they offer. They have
              packages to fit any need and will work with you to make sure you get
              what you want and need, all at a reasonable price.

              = = = = = =

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                Mickster wrote:
                > Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                >
                >>2. get a new host ... they aren't all that expensive any more for some
                >>really good ones
                >

                > If anyone is looking for a great place for webhosting, check out ...

                I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
                There are a number of good ones.
              • Mickster
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                  Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                  > Mickster wrote:
                  > I was avoiding the I like this company part on purpose :-)
                  > There are a number of good ones.

                  I don't disagree that there are a number of good ones, there's also some
                  that seem great and later turn out to be a PITA when it comes to support
                  or other things, been there done that. Just wanted to let those on the
                  list know about Jatol. I've yet to see/have a webhosting service that
                  can match the support that they offer, yet for a reasonable price.

                  = = = = = =
                  Mick Housel # 253W
                  safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
                  broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
                  -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

                  mickster@...
                  http://www.mickhousel.com/
                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                    I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
                    I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
                    there are just as many good ones.

                    Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
                    I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
                    their site. They're too busy selling things.

                    Thanks,
                    Christine
                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                      Christine wrote:
                      > I've been using npsis.com for years for the same reason. :)
                      > I won't get into their kudos, but they deserve them. For all the bad ones,
                      > there are just as many good ones.
                      >
                      > Changing the subject a little, does anyone know of a good Counter company?
                      > I used to use Andale, and still do, but can't find my log-in page anymore on
                      > their site. They're too busy selling things.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Christine

                      Since we are apprently endorsing products and organizations today :-)
                      Head on over to http://htmlfixit.com/free.php and check out our
                      statistical counter. It is a great counter/stats program. It is much
                      more honest than a typical counter, tells you when your page is crawled,
                      gives stats on users browser, javascript status, etc. We support it
                      with live help. If you have server side, I can tell you how to display
                      the count in your page if you wish to do so and it always counts in the
                      background. It runs in perl. *Like notetab, there is a completely free
                      version and a $10 paid version.* We are about to release a new advanced
                      version that is even better, and it will go to registered users without
                      cost. We have had very good feedback on our stats counter and it has
                      been used by some pretty heavy duty sites with success.

                      Additional discussion of this should probably head over to the off topic
                      list, and additional endorsments of hosting should likewise head off
                      topic (that was the point of my earlier email :-) as these types of
                      things always seem to get off topic quickly).

                      I'll copy this to off topic so others can make recommendations over there.