Re: [NH] FireFox and Extra Link/Page Opening

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2005
      Hi Alec, John, and Others,

      Do you have a link for the Mix Tab extension, or send it to me
      please. John, I had this problem once before with a previous
      version, but I forgot what I had to do in FireFox to fix it. Like
      mentioned awhile back, almost all FireFox (Mozilla as far as that
      goes) are caused by settings. I for one find numerous extension
      overlapping each other. I am quickly finding it best not to run
      any or just a few. I think some are needed though to get it to
      act right with NoteTab. (The two window thing has been an issue
      for many years with Netscape...) Eric has indeed spent a lot of
      time with the Mozilla family and in recent chats with him about
      it he doesn't think he can do anything about it. I know I had it
      working perfectly before by getting the right combination of
      options in FireFox. To me, the biggest problem with FireFox is
      the gazillion authors' stuff conflicting with each other causing
      bugs. (Yes, Alec, NetCaptor is my beloved browser. :) I find it
      the least buggiest and most reliable of any out there. It has its
      problems as well, but not near like the other - IMO.)

      However, I am the first to tell you that I'll always do my best
      to prove if a problem is in NoteTab or elsewhere. I, preferably,
      would rather have them in NoteTab and be able to be replicated so
      that Eric can fix the things. That is the problem in a nutshell
      though, because of the many bugs in some browsers and many
      features that add to the problems, it is nigh impossible to
      replicate them. ...and, as mentioned, a lot of time it is simply
      a matter of getting the "right" extensions in FireFox's case and
      setting the right features. Yes, using the open links from
      external applications seems to be a good setting in FireFox, but
      I cannot find that now. I'm uninstalling it all, cleaning
      registry and will start again. Yes, I did have the tabbed browser
      extensions installed.

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
        Jody:

        sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
        Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

        Regards ... Alec
        --
        ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
          Hi Alec,

          >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
          >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

          You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
          that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
          the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

          >Regards ... Alec
          >--
          > ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

          calc9+6*3 <-- One of my PasteBack Clips. :) Copy/cut and get the following
          returned. Works in any editable field like a browser address bar
          while at eBay. :)

          9+6*3 = $27

          >>> It works fine for me whether or not Firefox (1.0) is already
          >>> open. If already open it shows the page in a new tab, if not
          >>> already open, Firefox opens and shows *just* the desired page.
          >>>
          >>> Here's my browsers.dat line:
          >>> [Firefox]
          >>> Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla
          >>> Firefox\firefox.exe"
          >>>
          >>> I had previously used the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) but have
          >>> read that there are problems with it especially in conjunction
          >>> with other extensions.
          >>>
          >>> I've recently switched to using:
          >>> MFE: Tab Mix
          >>>
          >>> Note: its not yet an authorized extension but appears to be
          >>> working well. Its install page says:
          >>>>>
          >>> For a long time, we talk about how to rebuild the features of
          >>> the powerful but bulky TBE. According to these discussions, we
          >>> can install several extensions on Firefox and add the CSS
          >>> rules in the userChrome.css file. But, as we know, some
          >>> extensions would conflict with another, some others are
          >>> already broken or out of maintainenance. Is it possible to
          >>> combine the most practical tab-related extensions together,
          >>> then we could just install ONE extension for a better tabbed
          >>> browsing? That's what I try to do in Tab Mix. Beware that Tab
          >>> Mix is still unstable and might be buggy, use on your own
          >>> risk!

          Happy Album Mak'n!
          Jody Adair

          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005

            Switching for Tab Browser Extensions to Tabmix didn't make an iota of
            difference for me. The behavious is still as follows:

            If Firefox is closed when I click the browser icon in Notetab it opens
            one blank (untitled) tab and one tab that currently resolves to
            http://www.aaai.org/Symposia/Fall/2005/fss-05.html

            If Firefox is open, Notetab correctly opens the requested HTML file in
            a new tab.

            Regards, John M

            Jody wrote:

            > Hi Alec,
            >
            > >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
            > >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en
            >
            > You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
            > that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
            > the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

            --- snip ---

            > Jody Adair
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
              My first page is blank but the second page resolves to:
              /Program%20Files/NoteTab%20Pro/Projects/Nclex5/location.html which is
              the page that should open in NoteTab but instead I get Program Files.com
              or http://www.programfiles.com/ now how does that come up when the
              actual address of the page is in FireFox and how does it switch over to
              www.programfiles.com? And yet still call for the page that is supposed
              to open. Somebody who understands these things perhaps can explain it to me.
              Ed

              America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
              -- Abraham Lincoln

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                Hi John,

                (After writing this, I noticed mine quite working. I did not have
                an entry for [FireFox] in Browsers.dat - I found that out when
                working on the following. Now it does not work again.) So, here's
                information anyway... (I just uninstalled the Tab Mix and
                reinstalled and it worked one time and quit, like me, I quit too.
                Things change every time FireFox comes out with a new release. I
                don't use FireFox hardly at all so it is not much of a hassle to
                use it as is. You might try using Launch Document with something
                like E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe ^** in the Custom Launch
                field in Options, or the Clip below. (Of, the exterior link also
                tries to open for me to google.com. I deleted all Histories and
                the Quick Search for Google, but no help as expected.)

                You need to make sure you uninstall other extensions, well, I
                would at least uninstall Tabbed Preferences because it will
                definitely conflict with Tab Mix. The next the to do is go
                through the setting in Tab Mix. I think the main feature you want
                to check is the one under Tools | Extensions | Tab Mix | Open
                links from other applications in: [Current tab]. There might be
                more; you'll need to go through and try them out.

                There's many other things to try. Some work for some people,
                other things for others, and yet, some don't get it working at
                all.

                The following is all I know to try if the above does not work. I
                have no other suggestions. Except for one. ;) If you add "-browser"
                without the quotes to the Browsers.dat file in NoteTab's main folder
                (see further below), it will open like a shell without the Toolbar,
                Address bar, etc.

                [FireFox] Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                UseDDE=0
                Application=FireFox

                You can try entering Mozilla FireFox in your Browsers.dat file.
                You use the parent folder name that the .exe is in. Read Help on
                Browsers.dat Here's some examples; also see the Launch Document
                method below and the Clip.:

                [FireFox]
                Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe
                UseDDE=0
                Application=FireFox

                [Mozilla FireFox]
                Command=C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                Application=FireFox

                [mozilla]
                ; This is an example submitted by Harvey on the NoteTab Basic yahoogroups discussion
                ; mailing list with some modification by Jody@... Specifically, the height and width
                settings, Application, and [section name=mozilla]
                Command=c:\mozilla\mozilla.exe -browser
                UseDDE=0
                Application=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\
                DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
                Topic=WWW_OpenURL
                Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

                [Opera6]
                ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of the browser
                Command=Opera.exe
                UseDDE=1
                Application=E:\Browsers\Opera 6.2\Opera.exe
                DDECommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

                [NetCaptor]
                Command=E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe
                Application=NetCaptor

                You might also try configuring it in Custom Launch. You use the
                Launch Document icon to execute it. It will always open a new
                window though. You might get the tab extension and tabbed interface
                (I forget exactly what they are called, but configure it to always
                open in a new tab - not new window.)

                C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe ^**

                The ^** tells NoteTab to open the focused documents temporary file
                (all files needing saving) in program before it. FireFox in the
                example. If the file does not need saving then the saved file will
                be opened.

                A Clip would look like this:

                <--- Copy below this line --->
                H=View in FireFox
                ; eMailed on 09-14-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                ^!"C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                <--- Copy above this line --->
                <--- Right click over a Library --->
                <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                http://www.notetab.net
                http://www.clean-funnies.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                  Hi Ed

                  I cannot explain it, but now I get the extra link going to a site
                  I visited at one time, and then switches to some other site that
                  I do not think I have been to. You might try running some ad-ware
                  software.