Re: [NH] FireFox open as second browser

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
      On 3/2/2005 21:30, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime. Now when I
      >delete the FoxFire line in NoteTab.ini and put in a new line and save
      >it, restart the computer the old line is back in NoteTab.ini not the new
      >line that I had put in and saved. What am I doing wrong.

      OK, the problem is that you are using Notetab itself to edit
      Notetab.ini -- and when closing, Notetab will save the current state of
      the options over the notetab.ini file.
      One workaround is using another program (like Notepad) to edit notetab.ini.
      There is another one I cannot recall exactly right now -- I believe it
      was to save the file as notetab!.ini or something similar. Next time it
      loads, Notetab will rename the files accordingly automatically.

      Marcelo
      -=-=-
      ... A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.
      * TagZilla 0.057
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
        > On 3/2/2005 21:30, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by
        saying:

        >> I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime.
        >
        > OK, the problem is that you are using Notetab itself to edit
        > Notetab.ini -- and when closing, Notetab will save the current
        state of
        > the options over the notetab.ini file.
        > There is another one I cannot recall exactly right now -- I
        believe it
        > was to save the file as notetab!.ini
        >
        > Marcelo

        Ed & Marcelo,

        Edit NotePro/Std.ini in NoteTab, save as !NotePro.ini or
        NoteTab.ini, whichever is correct for you, restart NoteTab and
        the edited file will be used.

        ºvº
        05.02.03
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          Ed:
          > I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime.
          > Now when I
          > delete the FoxFire line in NoteTab.ini and put in a new
          > line and save
          > it, restart the computer the old line is back in
          > NoteTab.ini not the new
          > line that I had put in and saved. What am I doing wrong.

          If you want to edit Notetab.ini in Notetab you have to save as ...
          "!notetab.ini", close Notetab, then reopen it, otherwise it gets overwritten
          when you close Notetab.

          Alternatively you can (while Notetab is closed) edit in *NotePAD* or any
          other text editor.

          btw: are you using free or paid Notetab (light or pro)? If you are using the
          pro version its "notepro.ini" not "notetab.ini"

          The other possibility if you're using WinXP or Win2K is that you are not
          administrator and don't have the rights to make changes to files in
          C:/Program Files/

          btw: I can't conceive of any reason why actually rebooting / restarting the
          computer would make any difference - just closing then reopening Notetab is
          all that would be neccessary.

          Regards ... Alec
          --
          ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2005
              Hi Alec, John, and Others,

              Do you have a link for the Mix Tab extension, or send it to me
              please. John, I had this problem once before with a previous
              version, but I forgot what I had to do in FireFox to fix it. Like
              mentioned awhile back, almost all FireFox (Mozilla as far as that
              goes) are caused by settings. I for one find numerous extension
              overlapping each other. I am quickly finding it best not to run
              any or just a few. I think some are needed though to get it to
              act right with NoteTab. (The two window thing has been an issue
              for many years with Netscape...) Eric has indeed spent a lot of
              time with the Mozilla family and in recent chats with him about
              it he doesn't think he can do anything about it. I know I had it
              working perfectly before by getting the right combination of
              options in FireFox. To me, the biggest problem with FireFox is
              the gazillion authors' stuff conflicting with each other causing
              bugs. (Yes, Alec, NetCaptor is my beloved browser. :) I find it
              the least buggiest and most reliable of any out there. It has its
              problems as well, but not near like the other - IMO.)

              However, I am the first to tell you that I'll always do my best
              to prove if a problem is in NoteTab or elsewhere. I, preferably,
              would rather have them in NoteTab and be able to be replicated so
              that Eric can fix the things. That is the problem in a nutshell
              though, because of the many bugs in some browsers and many
              features that add to the problems, it is nigh impossible to
              replicate them. ...and, as mentioned, a lot of time it is simply
              a matter of getting the "right" extensions in FireFox's case and
              setting the right features. Yes, using the open links from
              external applications seems to be a good setting in FireFox, but
              I cannot find that now. I'm uninstalling it all, cleaning
              registry and will start again. Yes, I did have the tabbed browser
              extensions installed.

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                Jody:

                sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

                Regards ... Alec
                --
                ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                  Hi Alec,

                  >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                  >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

                  You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
                  that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
                  the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

                  >Regards ... Alec
                  >--
                  > ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                  calc9+6*3 <-- One of my PasteBack Clips. :) Copy/cut and get the following
                  returned. Works in any editable field like a browser address bar
                  while at eBay. :)

                  9+6*3 = $27

                  >>> It works fine for me whether or not Firefox (1.0) is already
                  >>> open. If already open it shows the page in a new tab, if not
                  >>> already open, Firefox opens and shows *just* the desired page.
                  >>>
                  >>> Here's my browsers.dat line:
                  >>> [Firefox]
                  >>> Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla
                  >>> Firefox\firefox.exe"
                  >>>
                  >>> I had previously used the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) but have
                  >>> read that there are problems with it especially in conjunction
                  >>> with other extensions.
                  >>>
                  >>> I've recently switched to using:
                  >>> MFE: Tab Mix
                  >>>
                  >>> Note: its not yet an authorized extension but appears to be
                  >>> working well. Its install page says:
                  >>>>>
                  >>> For a long time, we talk about how to rebuild the features of
                  >>> the powerful but bulky TBE. According to these discussions, we
                  >>> can install several extensions on Firefox and add the CSS
                  >>> rules in the userChrome.css file. But, as we know, some
                  >>> extensions would conflict with another, some others are
                  >>> already broken or out of maintainenance. Is it possible to
                  >>> combine the most practical tab-related extensions together,
                  >>> then we could just install ONE extension for a better tabbed
                  >>> browsing? That's what I try to do in Tab Mix. Beware that Tab
                  >>> Mix is still unstable and might be buggy, use on your own
                  >>> risk!

                  Happy Album Mak'n!
                  Jody Adair

                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                  http://www.notetab.net
                  http://www.sojourner.us/software
                • John Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                    Jody

                    Switching for Tab Browser Extensions to Tabmix didn't make an iota of
                    difference for me. The behavious is still as follows:

                    If Firefox is closed when I click the browser icon in Notetab it opens
                    one blank (untitled) tab and one tab that currently resolves to
                    http://www.aaai.org/Symposia/Fall/2005/fss-05.html

                    If Firefox is open, Notetab correctly opens the requested HTML file in
                    a new tab.

                    Regards, John M

                    Jody wrote:

                    > Hi Alec,
                    >
                    > >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                    > >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en
                    >
                    > You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
                    > that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
                    > the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

                    --- snip ---

                    > Jody Adair
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                      My first page is blank but the second page resolves to:
                      /Program%20Files/NoteTab%20Pro/Projects/Nclex5/location.html which is
                      the page that should open in NoteTab but instead I get Program Files.com
                      or http://www.programfiles.com/ now how does that come up when the
                      actual address of the page is in FireFox and how does it switch over to
                      www.programfiles.com? And yet still call for the page that is supposed
                      to open. Somebody who understands these things perhaps can explain it to me.
                      Ed

                      America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
                      -- Abraham Lincoln

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                        Hi John,

                        (After writing this, I noticed mine quite working. I did not have
                        an entry for [FireFox] in Browsers.dat - I found that out when
                        working on the following. Now it does not work again.) So, here's
                        information anyway... (I just uninstalled the Tab Mix and
                        reinstalled and it worked one time and quit, like me, I quit too.
                        Things change every time FireFox comes out with a new release. I
                        don't use FireFox hardly at all so it is not much of a hassle to
                        use it as is. You might try using Launch Document with something
                        like E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe ^** in the Custom Launch
                        field in Options, or the Clip below. (Of, the exterior link also
                        tries to open for me to google.com. I deleted all Histories and
                        the Quick Search for Google, but no help as expected.)

                        You need to make sure you uninstall other extensions, well, I
                        would at least uninstall Tabbed Preferences because it will
                        definitely conflict with Tab Mix. The next the to do is go
                        through the setting in Tab Mix. I think the main feature you want
                        to check is the one under Tools | Extensions | Tab Mix | Open
                        links from other applications in: [Current tab]. There might be
                        more; you'll need to go through and try them out.

                        There's many other things to try. Some work for some people,
                        other things for others, and yet, some don't get it working at
                        all.

                        The following is all I know to try if the above does not work. I
                        have no other suggestions. Except for one. ;) If you add "-browser"
                        without the quotes to the Browsers.dat file in NoteTab's main folder
                        (see further below), it will open like a shell without the Toolbar,
                        Address bar, etc.

                        [FireFox] Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                        UseDDE=0
                        Application=FireFox

                        You can try entering Mozilla FireFox in your Browsers.dat file.
                        You use the parent folder name that the .exe is in. Read Help on
                        Browsers.dat Here's some examples; also see the Launch Document
                        method below and the Clip.:

                        [FireFox]
                        Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe
                        UseDDE=0
                        Application=FireFox

                        [Mozilla FireFox]
                        Command=C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                        Application=FireFox

                        [mozilla]
                        ; This is an example submitted by Harvey on the NoteTab Basic yahoogroups discussion
                        ; mailing list with some modification by Jody@... Specifically, the height and width
                        settings, Application, and [section name=mozilla]
                        Command=c:\mozilla\mozilla.exe -browser
                        UseDDE=0
                        Application=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\
                        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
                        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
                        Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

                        [Opera6]
                        ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of the browser
                        Command=Opera.exe
                        UseDDE=1
                        Application=E:\Browsers\Opera 6.2\Opera.exe
                        DDECommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

                        [NetCaptor]
                        Command=E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe
                        Application=NetCaptor

                        You might also try configuring it in Custom Launch. You use the
                        Launch Document icon to execute it. It will always open a new
                        window though. You might get the tab extension and tabbed interface
                        (I forget exactly what they are called, but configure it to always
                        open in a new tab - not new window.)

                        C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe ^**

                        The ^** tells NoteTab to open the focused documents temporary file
                        (all files needing saving) in program before it. FireFox in the
                        example. If the file does not need saving then the saved file will
                        be opened.

                        A Clip would look like this:

                        <--- Copy below this line --->
                        H=View in FireFox
                        ; eMailed on 09-14-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                        ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                        ^!"C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                        <--- Copy above this line --->
                        <--- Right click over a Library --->
                        <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                        http://www.notetab.net
                        http://www.clean-funnies.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                          Hi Ed

                          I cannot explain it, but now I get the extra link going to a site
                          I visited at one time, and then switches to some other site that
                          I do not think I have been to. You might try running some ad-ware
                          software.