Re: [NH] FireFox and Extra Link/Page Opening

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi Jody:

      It works fine for me whether or not Firefox (1.0) is already open.
      If already open it shows the page in a new tab, if not already open, Firefox
      opens and shows *just* the desired page.

      Here's my browsers.dat line:
      [Firefox]
      Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

      I had previously used the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) but have read that
      there are problems with it especially in conjunction with other extensions.

      I've recently switched to using:
      MFE: Tab Mix

      Note: its not yet an authorized extension but appears to be working well.
      Its install page says:

      For a long time, we talk about how to rebuild the features of the powerful
      but bulky TBE. According to these discussions, we can install several
      extensions on Firefox and add the CSS rules in the userChrome.css file. But,
      as we know, some extensions would conflict with another, some others are
      already broken or out of maintain. Is it possible to combine the most
      practical tab-related extensions together, then we could just install ONE
      extension for a better tabbed browsing? That's what I try to do in Tab Mix.
      Beware that Tab Mix is still unstable and might be buggy, use on your own
      risk!
      The code of Tab Mix is borrowed from the following extensions. Special
      thanks to them:
      Bradley Chapman's TBP lite 0.6 (the base of Tab Mix)
      Bradley Chapman's Tabbrowser Preferences 1.0.0
      Dorando + Caio Chassot's Minit (drag + indicator) 0.4
      Samir L. Boulema's enhanced version of Minit, Minit 20040920_pass3
      Stephen Clavering's Tab X 0.5
      Stephen Clavering's Flowing Tabs 0.4
      Stephen Clavering's Scrollable Tabs 0.1
      Daniel Lindkvist's Focus Last Selected Tab 0.8.1
      SHIMODA Hiroshi's Tabbrowser Extensions 1.12.2004120802
      Morac's enhanced version of Tab X 0.5
      NetOne's click2tab 0.8.0
      Dorando's Undoclosetab 20041125.2
      Turonah's Undoclosetab enhanced 20041126
      Aaron's Single Window 1.4
      <<

      If you've already installed any of these you should probably uninstall them
      first.

      If you want Firefox to operate much like your beloved NetCaptor I think the
      key option to set in TabMix is:

      Open links from other applications in: New Tab

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime. Now when I
        delete the FoxFire line in NoteTab.ini and put in a new line and save
        it, restart the computer the old line is back in NoteTab.ini not the new
        line that I had put in and saved. What am I doing wrong.

        If you don't know [your family's] history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
        -- Michael Chrichton

      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          On 3/2/2005 21:30, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime. Now when I
          >delete the FoxFire line in NoteTab.ini and put in a new line and save
          >it, restart the computer the old line is back in NoteTab.ini not the new
          >line that I had put in and saved. What am I doing wrong.

          OK, the problem is that you are using Notetab itself to edit
          Notetab.ini -- and when closing, Notetab will save the current state of
          the options over the notetab.ini file.
          One workaround is using another program (like Notepad) to edit notetab.ini.
          There is another one I cannot recall exactly right now -- I believe it
          was to save the file as notetab!.ini or something similar. Next time it
          loads, Notetab will rename the files accordingly automatically.

          Marcelo
          -=-=-
          ... A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.
          * TagZilla 0.057
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
            > On 3/2/2005 21:30, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by
            saying:

            >> I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime.
            >
            > OK, the problem is that you are using Notetab itself to edit
            > Notetab.ini -- and when closing, Notetab will save the current
            state of
            > the options over the notetab.ini file.
            > There is another one I cannot recall exactly right now -- I
            believe it
            > was to save the file as notetab!.ini
            >
            > Marcelo

            Ed & Marcelo,

            Edit NotePro/Std.ini in NoteTab, save as !NotePro.ini or
            NoteTab.ini, whichever is correct for you, restart NoteTab and
            the edited file will be used.

            ºvº
            05.02.03
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
              Ed:
              > I have not made any changes in NoteTab.ini for sometime.
              > Now when I
              > delete the FoxFire line in NoteTab.ini and put in a new
              > line and save
              > it, restart the computer the old line is back in
              > NoteTab.ini not the new
              > line that I had put in and saved. What am I doing wrong.

              If you want to edit Notetab.ini in Notetab you have to save as ...
              "!notetab.ini", close Notetab, then reopen it, otherwise it gets overwritten
              when you close Notetab.

              Alternatively you can (while Notetab is closed) edit in *NotePAD* or any
              other text editor.

              btw: are you using free or paid Notetab (light or pro)? If you are using the
              pro version its "notepro.ini" not "notetab.ini"

              The other possibility if you're using WinXP or Win2K is that you are not
              administrator and don't have the rights to make changes to files in
              C:/Program Files/

              btw: I can't conceive of any reason why actually rebooting / restarting the
              computer would make any difference - just closing then reopening Notetab is
              all that would be neccessary.

              Regards ... Alec
              --
              ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2005
                  Hi Alec, John, and Others,

                  Do you have a link for the Mix Tab extension, or send it to me
                  please. John, I had this problem once before with a previous
                  version, but I forgot what I had to do in FireFox to fix it. Like
                  mentioned awhile back, almost all FireFox (Mozilla as far as that
                  goes) are caused by settings. I for one find numerous extension
                  overlapping each other. I am quickly finding it best not to run
                  any or just a few. I think some are needed though to get it to
                  act right with NoteTab. (The two window thing has been an issue
                  for many years with Netscape...) Eric has indeed spent a lot of
                  time with the Mozilla family and in recent chats with him about
                  it he doesn't think he can do anything about it. I know I had it
                  working perfectly before by getting the right combination of
                  options in FireFox. To me, the biggest problem with FireFox is
                  the gazillion authors' stuff conflicting with each other causing
                  bugs. (Yes, Alec, NetCaptor is my beloved browser. :) I find it
                  the least buggiest and most reliable of any out there. It has its
                  problems as well, but not near like the other - IMO.)

                  However, I am the first to tell you that I'll always do my best
                  to prove if a problem is in NoteTab or elsewhere. I, preferably,
                  would rather have them in NoteTab and be able to be replicated so
                  that Eric can fix the things. That is the problem in a nutshell
                  though, because of the many bugs in some browsers and many
                  features that add to the problems, it is nigh impossible to
                  replicate them. ...and, as mentioned, a lot of time it is simply
                  a matter of getting the "right" extensions in FireFox's case and
                  setting the right features. Yes, using the open links from
                  external applications seems to be a good setting in FireFox, but
                  I cannot find that now. I'm uninstalling it all, cleaning
                  registry and will start again. Yes, I did have the tabbed browser
                  extensions installed.

                  http://www.notetab.net
                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                    Jody:

                    sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                    Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

                    Regards ... Alec
                    --
                    ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                      Hi Alec,

                      >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                      >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

                      You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
                      that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
                      the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

                      >Regards ... Alec
                      >--
                      > ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                      calc9+6*3 <-- One of my PasteBack Clips. :) Copy/cut and get the following
                      returned. Works in any editable field like a browser address bar
                      while at eBay. :)

                      9+6*3 = $27

                      >>> It works fine for me whether or not Firefox (1.0) is already
                      >>> open. If already open it shows the page in a new tab, if not
                      >>> already open, Firefox opens and shows *just* the desired page.
                      >>>
                      >>> Here's my browsers.dat line:
                      >>> [Firefox]
                      >>> Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla
                      >>> Firefox\firefox.exe"
                      >>>
                      >>> I had previously used the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) but have
                      >>> read that there are problems with it especially in conjunction
                      >>> with other extensions.
                      >>>
                      >>> I've recently switched to using:
                      >>> MFE: Tab Mix
                      >>>
                      >>> Note: its not yet an authorized extension but appears to be
                      >>> working well. Its install page says:
                      >>>>>
                      >>> For a long time, we talk about how to rebuild the features of
                      >>> the powerful but bulky TBE. According to these discussions, we
                      >>> can install several extensions on Firefox and add the CSS
                      >>> rules in the userChrome.css file. But, as we know, some
                      >>> extensions would conflict with another, some others are
                      >>> already broken or out of maintainenance. Is it possible to
                      >>> combine the most practical tab-related extensions together,
                      >>> then we could just install ONE extension for a better tabbed
                      >>> browsing? That's what I try to do in Tab Mix. Beware that Tab
                      >>> Mix is still unstable and might be buggy, use on your own
                      >>> risk!

                      Happy Album Mak'n!
                      Jody Adair

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com
                      http://www.notetab.net
                      http://www.sojourner.us/software
                    • John Mitchell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005

                        Switching for Tab Browser Extensions to Tabmix didn't make an iota of
                        difference for me. The behavious is still as follows:

                        If Firefox is closed when I click the browser icon in Notetab it opens
                        one blank (untitled) tab and one tab that currently resolves to
                        http://www.aaai.org/Symposia/Fall/2005/fss-05.html

                        If Firefox is open, Notetab correctly opens the requested HTML file in
                        a new tab.

                        Regards, John M

                        Jody wrote:

                        > Hi Alec,
                        >
                        > >sorry, I thought I had included the link. Anyway - here it is :-)
                        > >Tab Mix http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en
                        >
                        > You da man! Now, Album Express tries to load google.com instead of
                        > that other page it was loading, but NoteTab is working correctly all
                        > the way around in the second browser field, other browser. :)

                        --- snip ---

                        > Jody Adair
                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                          My first page is blank but the second page resolves to:
                          /Program%20Files/NoteTab%20Pro/Projects/Nclex5/location.html which is
                          the page that should open in NoteTab but instead I get Program Files.com
                          or http://www.programfiles.com/ now how does that come up when the
                          actual address of the page is in FireFox and how does it switch over to
                          www.programfiles.com? And yet still call for the page that is supposed
                          to open. Somebody who understands these things perhaps can explain it to me.
                          Ed

                          America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
                          -- Abraham Lincoln

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                            Hi John,

                            (After writing this, I noticed mine quite working. I did not have
                            an entry for [FireFox] in Browsers.dat - I found that out when
                            working on the following. Now it does not work again.) So, here's
                            information anyway... (I just uninstalled the Tab Mix and
                            reinstalled and it worked one time and quit, like me, I quit too.
                            Things change every time FireFox comes out with a new release. I
                            don't use FireFox hardly at all so it is not much of a hassle to
                            use it as is. You might try using Launch Document with something
                            like E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe ^** in the Custom Launch
                            field in Options, or the Clip below. (Of, the exterior link also
                            tries to open for me to google.com. I deleted all Histories and
                            the Quick Search for Google, but no help as expected.)

                            You need to make sure you uninstall other extensions, well, I
                            would at least uninstall Tabbed Preferences because it will
                            definitely conflict with Tab Mix. The next the to do is go
                            through the setting in Tab Mix. I think the main feature you want
                            to check is the one under Tools | Extensions | Tab Mix | Open
                            links from other applications in: [Current tab]. There might be
                            more; you'll need to go through and try them out.

                            There's many other things to try. Some work for some people,
                            other things for others, and yet, some don't get it working at
                            all.

                            The following is all I know to try if the above does not work. I
                            have no other suggestions. Except for one. ;) If you add "-browser"
                            without the quotes to the Browsers.dat file in NoteTab's main folder
                            (see further below), it will open like a shell without the Toolbar,
                            Address bar, etc.

                            [FireFox] Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                            UseDDE=0
                            Application=FireFox

                            You can try entering Mozilla FireFox in your Browsers.dat file.
                            You use the parent folder name that the .exe is in. Read Help on
                            Browsers.dat Here's some examples; also see the Launch Document
                            method below and the Clip.:

                            [FireFox]
                            Command=E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe
                            UseDDE=0
                            Application=FireFox

                            [Mozilla FireFox]
                            Command=C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe -browser
                            Application=FireFox

                            [mozilla]
                            ; This is an example submitted by Harvey on the NoteTab Basic yahoogroups discussion
                            ; mailing list with some modification by Jody@... Specifically, the height and width
                            settings, Application, and [section name=mozilla]
                            Command=c:\mozilla\mozilla.exe -browser
                            UseDDE=0
                            Application=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\
                            DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
                            Topic=WWW_OpenURL
                            Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

                            [Opera6]
                            ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of the browser
                            Command=Opera.exe
                            UseDDE=1
                            Application=E:\Browsers\Opera 6.2\Opera.exe
                            DDECommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

                            [NetCaptor]
                            Command=E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe
                            Application=NetCaptor

                            You might also try configuring it in Custom Launch. You use the
                            Launch Document icon to execute it. It will always open a new
                            window though. You might get the tab extension and tabbed interface
                            (I forget exactly what they are called, but configure it to always
                            open in a new tab - not new window.)

                            C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe ^**

                            The ^** tells NoteTab to open the focused documents temporary file
                            (all files needing saving) in program before it. FireFox in the
                            example. If the file does not need saving then the saved file will
                            be opened.

                            A Clip would look like this:

                            <--- Copy below this line --->
                            H=View in FireFox
                            ; eMailed on 09-14-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                            ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

                            ^!"C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                            <--- Copy above this line --->
                            <--- Right click over a Library --->
                            <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                            http://www.notetab.net
                            http://www.clean-funnies.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                              Hi Ed

                              I cannot explain it, but now I get the extra link going to a site
                              I visited at one time, and then switches to some other site that
                              I do not think I have been to. You might try running some ad-ware
                              software.