RE: [NH] Paged Media

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
      > > This is in the CSS table.
      > >
      > > P.breakhere { page-break-before:always; }
      > >
      > > Occurrences of this are placed strategically in the ensuing pages.

      Now I have

      ================
      p.break{
      page-break-after : always;
      }
      ================

      and applied to the preceding paragraph it seems to do the job, with no need
      for a spurious:

      Still like to see a "soft page break" technique, or I am sure those who
      don't use A4 paper will come a cropper when using my sites! :-)

      Greg
    • jorigami
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:
        > The screen rule conveniently hides the
        >
        > <P class="break"> </P>
        >
        > when browsing,
        >
        > but I still haven't cracked how to give it zero height when printed.

        line-height: 1px; height: 1px; margin: -1px 0 0 0;

        That might work. Plain "height: 0px" is unreliable with Firefox, at
        least on screen media it sometimes optimizes whole element (and any
        break with it) away.

        Let me know if it actually works ;)

        Jorma
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
          Hi Jorma,

          > > but I still haven't cracked how to give it zero height when printed.
          >
          > line-height: 1px; height: 1px; margin: -1px 0 0 0;
          >
          > That might work. Plain "height: 0px" is unreliable with Firefox, at
          > least on screen media it sometimes optimizes whole element (and any
          > break with it) away.

          As you'll have seen I have avoided the issue by adopting a "break-after"
          approach rather than hrs' "break-before" approach.

          In other places I am still getting people say:

          img {page-break-inside:avoid;}
          does the trick. This works as far back as IE5.

          so either I'm doing something wrong, or the guy hasn't fully read the
          question properly.

          I'll probably upload a sample page and let others have a look/make
          suggestions.

          Greg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
            Greg Chapman wrote:
            >In other places I am still getting people say:

            >img {page-break-inside:avoid;}
            >does the trick. This works as far back as IE5.
            >
            >so either I'm doing something wrong, or the guy hasn't fully read the
            >question properly.

            The guy is wrong.

            <http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/browser_support/printing.html>

            HTH